Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla Wall Connector not on Energy Star list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local power company (AEP) is offering a rebate on Energy Star rated EVSE connectors. But Tesla has no Energy Star rated connectors, so I would have to buy a non-Tesla EVSE and use the $50 J1772 adapter, which kinda defeats the purpose of a rebate.

Anyone have any idea why the Tesla Wall Connector does not have an Energy Star Rating?

Thanks,
WVhybrid
Owner: 2018 Model 3
On Order: Model Y (2022 or 2023)

Reactions: vishnumrao
I think, (but dont know 100%), that its because its not a "smart" charger. It does not allow the power company to possibly control it. Any scheduled charging is done in the car, there is no app to control it.
I looked on the energy star site and the page with EV chargers is down. I also couldn't find any information on what qualifies a product. IT could also be that Tesla just hasn't submitted an application to get their charger approved.

When I got my charger our electric utility had an off peak charging program that required the use of a clipper creek charger that could be controlled by the utility. At the time it was the same cost as the Tesla charger so it was an easy choice. Currently, the Tesla charger is significantly cheaper than most other comparable units so the OP may be better off just skipping the rebate and getting a Tesla charger.

there's no Tesla listed as energy star product. possibly Tesla never bothered to apply for it? it shouldn't have anything to do with being smart or not though. actually Tesla wall charger is Wi-Fi enabled and can talk to each other to enable sharing, so should be considered as smart.
1651342741249.png

there's no Tesla listed as energy star product. possibly Tesla never bothered to apply for it? it shouldn't have anything to do with being smart or not though. actually Tesla wall charger is Wi-Fi enabled and can talk to each other to enable sharing, so should be considered as smart.
View attachment 799146

Talking to another charger for power sharing isnt something the utility cares about. Being able to remotely shut off your charger, or the charger itself having programability to only charge during certain times, etc, likely is.

OP says the power company ask for energy star product. not charger they can control.

OP askes " why is tesla charger not energy star" which is what the discussion is about. I am giving an opinion on a possible reason. Many rebates require "smart charger" of which the tesla charger is not and does not qualify under.

Reactions: Rocky_H
OP to this thread here. I want to thank everyone for their comments. On another forum, someone replied who had disassembled a Tesla Wall Connector, and they reported all the wiring was sized correctly, so the idea that the Connector would not comply with the Energy Star standards is unlikely to be accurate.

So, my conclusion is that Tesla has just decided not to apply for energy start certification. Too bad, as it costs folks in the AEP service area a bit of money.

The very idea of a L2 EV Service Equipment (EVSE) even having an Energy Star certification is kind of silly. I mean, I guess someone could put a 100W incandescent bulb in it and leave it on all the time or something, but the basic fact is a L2 EVSE does essentially nothing. It's just a passthrough, with a tiny bit of electronics to deal with the power level signaling. You'd be hard-pressed to design one with an overhead of more than a percent or so. It's like giving an Energy Star certification to an extension cord.

Okay, let's do the math. I see they give you 2.6 W of quiescent consumption, plus another watt for wi-fi or LAN, (or 2 W for cellular) plus a ridiculously complex calculation for the display if it has one. I guess that starts to matter if you use it hardly at all. The allowed overhead for a non-networked charger with no display is then 430 Wh/wk. Let's see, if you only drive 20 miles a week, at 250 Wh/mile (efficient vehicle only going low speeds), that's 5 kWh, so that's 8% of your usage. A typical one would probably see 5x that much use (with the same overhead), leading to less than 1% going to overhead. But I guess you could build something that uses 25 W if you were really bad at circuit design, which would indeed be a lot worse. But given that there's a limited number of testing engineers at the Energy Star office, I might not have bothered setting up parameters for EVSEs.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
OP to this thread here. I want to thank everyone for their comments. On another forum, someone replied who had disassembled a Tesla Wall Connector, and they reported all the wiring was sized correctly, so the idea that the Connector would not comply with the Energy Star standards is unlikely to be accurate.

So, my conclusion is that Tesla has just decided not to apply for energy start certification. Too bad, as it costs folks in the AEP service area a bit of money.
Energy Star certification has nothing to do with wire sizes. That would be UL listing. To be Energy Star certified you need to meet certain power usage requirements (and apply for certification.)
The very idea of a L2 EV Service Equipment (EVSE) even having an Energy Star certification is kind of silly. I mean, I guess someone could put a 100W incandescent bulb in it and leave it on all the time or something, but the basic fact is a L2 EVSE does essentially nothing. It's just a passthrough, with a tiny bit of electronics to deal with the power level signaling. You'd be hard-pressed to design one with an overhead of more than a percent or so. It's like giving an Energy Star certification to an extension cord.

Okay, let's do the math. I see they give you 2.6 W of quiescent consumption, plus another watt for wi-fi or LAN, (or 2 W for cellular) plus a ridiculously complex calculation for the display if it has one. I guess that starts to matter if you use it hardly at all. The allowed overhead for a non-networked charger with no display is then 430 Wh/wk. Let's see, if you only drive 20 miles a week, at 250 Wh/mile (efficient vehicle only going low speeds), that's 5 kWh, so that's 8% of your usage. A typical one would probably see 5x that much use (with the same overhead), leading to less than 1% going to overhead. But I guess you could build something that uses 25 W if you were really bad at circuit design, which would indeed be a lot worse. But given that there's a limited number of testing engineers at the Energy Star office, I might not have bothered setting up parameters for EVSEs.
you're missing the point on this. The entire point of energy star certification is to make sure that these devices don't have the kind of vampire drain you describe. Comparing it to the car's usage is pointless - the car uses what it uses based on its design and your driving. The charger sits plugged in, drawing power 24 hours a day, whether it's being used or not. you'd be surprised how wasteful some of these devices are - we got a digital converter box from Comcast that would let us watch the network channels (yes, just the ones we can get for free off the airwaves.) The box they sent us used something like 25 watts of power and used it whether we were watching TV or not.

My utility offered a rebate for an "ENERGY STAR Certified Level 2 Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger"

I just submitted my receipt for the Tesla Wall Connector, never even checked if it was actually Energy Star compliant.... did get my rebate check though.