Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla's online store such garbage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

New Tesla owner here! Loving my Model Y! Was a rather arduous process; getting rather nonsensical delivery estimates on my account page, shifting dates, etc. But now I am a happy owner. However... all of those earlier frustrations with the car buying process did not lead me to ever make an account or post here. Somewhat ironically, what HAS led me to post here is the absolute joke that their online shop is.

I placed an order earlier this week (Monday) on the official Tesla online storefront for a Gen NEMA 6-50 adapter. When I placed my order, there was no indication that this part is not available, or back ordered, or that the shipping process would be delayed in any way. Here we are several days later, and the item has still not even shipped, and on the order page there is no indication of when it will (if ever) ship. I have no idea how something so simple as at least estimating shipping date/shipping time is impossible for Tesla. It's an absolute joke. In this same time period since I placed my Tesla store order I have ordered several items from Amazon (such as a 6-50 extension) cord, they have shipped, and I have received them. I realize that Tesla is not Amazon but this level of incompetence is unacceptable. I have dealt with mom and pop shops with online stores that look like they were designed in GeoCities in 2005 that had better shipping processes in place.

I don't know what the point of this post is other than to vent, and to let others who are going or have gone though this before know that they are not alone. In the meantime I am stuck with standard wall plug charging and charging at a Supercharger. Yeah, First World problems. But then again, I thought I was dealing with a First World company, and not incompetent buffoons.

• Disagree
Reactions: tomagucci
Every time I ordered from Tesla shop it was shipped very quick, within 1-2 days.
The only thing I do not like is that they use FedEx. FedEx delivery estimates are total garbage. Either they deliver several days earlier or keep postponing the delivery.👎 Not even once I got delivery when they estimate it. And no way to hold it at their facility because it is NOT GUARANTEED even when they confirmed that they will hold it.

Last edited:
Shawn: sorry about your ordeal. Phone your local SC, they might have the 6-50 adapter on the shelf. That's what I did.

I have ordered several items from the Tesla Store. Responsive, quick, timely, good quality products. Never a problem.

The "incompetent buffoons" you refer to are largely young, enthusiastic pro-EV employees that are in over their heads. I still consider Tesla very much a start-up company, fraught with coordination issues. There's no substitute for evolution/time, to catch up with established manufacturers, who have been KNOWN for their multi-billion dollar "buffoonery" in the last 120 years of ICE production.

I'll take the inconvenience of a delayed shipment of an inconsequential part over a clean-diesel scandal any day!

I had the same mixed experience with the online store, but I did emailed them after I didn't get my stuff for over 2 weeks and they said they had some shipping delay issue and then turned my order around quick after that. Mine was just the mud flaps. So I would suggest what other suggested to the SC or just simply emailing their order support. Don't bother calling, there's no such thing as human customer support call center in Tesla's world, at least I haven't been able to talk to anyone in their call center every time I call it's a voicemail.

I've order several things, no issues. Many future owners seem to check the boards and get an idea of what accessories they may want/need, especially for charging, and have those ordered and on hand in advance of receiving their car. I did that myself, even had my charger installed 3 months before I got my first Tesla. This doesn't help you at this point but others may want to anticipate delays and order early... :)

I have placed 4 orders from the store. I didn't attempt to order anything out of stock. All arrived in a timely manner with no issues on the payment side. These include:
  • the Wall charger and garage remote kit (predelivery)
  • The trunk area rubber floor mats
  • Touch up paint and mud flaps
  • The tire repair kit.

Mike TV: EVERY merchant has supply chain issues, expecialy in the past 18 months. Just shop somewhere else.

(Frankly, I'm annoyed that Tesla is spending ANY R & D on aftermarket bling/supplies. There's clearly a lot of profit in it. I think they should be concentrating ALL their time and energy on improving QC, and building a better car. Competition is going to overtake them if they don't.)