Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla's online store such garbage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I placed a paint touch up kit order 3.5 weeks ago. It said it shipped, but FedEx says they have not received the package - only the label was printed.

I have tried emailing the [email protected] and got no response over the last 2 weeks.

I am about to do a credit card chargeback, as I have no other solution as they refuse to respond.

I also have a charger ordered a week and a half ago (before I realized this was a problem) that hasn’t shipped yet.

I get the people who say they’ve had no problem - it seems like with their shop you don’t have a problem until you do. If you do, you’re stuck.

I am not sure what the resolution for my issue is. I don’t care that the local SC may have the stuff in stock; I’ve already paid $50 for a paint kit and $275 for a charger, both which haven’t shipped and nobody responds. Any advice for that issue?

ShawnTargeryn: Be careful posting anything less than glowing about Tesla on this forum; it’s overrun with fan bios who won’t stand for an affront to their fealty. It does take a while for me to get orders from the online store as well; usually a week to 10 days. I know that’s not really a long time in the grand scheme of things but I’ve gotten spoiled by almost everyone else fulfilling products in 3 days or less. Tesla clearly doesn’t have the distribution network of companies that deal in online retail so I just accept it as it is. Maybe when Austin has been up and running for a few years, and we don’t have to get everything from CA, things will improve.

Reactions: cwerdna
So I placed a paint touch up kit order 3.5 weeks ago. It said it shipped, but FedEx says they have not received the package - only the label was printed.

I have tried emailing the [email protected] and got no response over the last 2 weeks.

I am about to do a credit card chargeback, as I have no other solution as they refuse to respond.

I also have a charger ordered a week and a half ago (before I realized this was a problem) that hasn’t shipped yet.

I get the people who say they’ve had no problem - it seems like with their shop you don’t have a problem until you do. If you do, you’re stuck.

I am not sure what the resolution for my issue is. I don’t care that the local SC may have the stuff in stock; I’ve already paid $50 for a paint kit and $275 for a charger, both which haven’t shipped and nobody responds. Any advice for that issue?
Did you get an auto reply when you contacted them the first time. I had a problem where they sent the wrong items and it took over a week for them to reply to my e-mail. It did get resolved eventually though.

Since Tesla really isn't that great at fulfilling accessory orders, I feel like they should just setup a storefront on Amazon and let Amazon deal with the fulfillment and customer service.

Did you get an auto reply when you contacted them the first time. I had a problem where they sent the wrong items and it took over a week for them to reply to my e-mail. It did get resolved eventually though.

Since Tesla really isn't that great at fulfilling accessory orders, I feel like they should just setup a storefront on Amazon and let Amazon deal with the fulfillment and customer service.
I did not get an auto reply. Still no reply whatsoever on the order. I’m gonna give it 2 more weeks and do a chargeback; it will then be at 6 weeks which I think is more than reasonable. Still annoying and no way to treat customers. I don’t understand why Tesla doesn’t understand the whole “communication” thing. It would solve 90% of their service issues.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

This exact scenario is happening for me now too. I'm in a "Pending" state with FedEx which I think means Tesla hasn't shipped it yet. Crickets from the support email. They should just fulfill with Amazon and focus on what they do well.

This exact scenario is happening for me now too. I'm in a "Pending" state with FedEx which I think means Tesla hasn't shipped it yet. Crickets from the support email. They should just fulfill with Amazon and focus on what they do well.

I had to go to the online chat under support on the website, and choosing the option that I was having an “app issue” got me to an actual human. This person said they’d escalate my issue - and they did, as I finally got a response back today:

“Thanks for contacting Tesla. My sincere apologies for the delay in response. Unfortunately, our records show your order had issue during the shipment process. With that being said, we’ve moved forward to reship your needed item which will be processed in approx. 5-7 business days. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for understanding!”

Still no new tracking number, but at least a response. Really sucks you need to pester another department to get a response - and why aren’t they monitoring things like this? For a technology company it should be trivial to say that an order is way past expected delivery and perhaps someone should follow up on it.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
ShawnTargaryen: Did you ever get closure on this? I ordered a full set of adapters >2 weeks ago and went through something similar, no updates no nothing. They just shipped yesterday. If you're in the DC area and you havent gotten your 6-50 adapter, you can have one of mine for $25 (I'll have 2 once this kit arrives next week).

I've ordered plenty of other stuff from Tesla's website and it ships fairly quickly. The charging adapters seem to be different though.

Looks like they restocked the NEMA adapters this week and shipped as I ordered a 10-30 that shipped after 3 weeks.

I did email them 2 weeks ago via the ordersupport email and they responded the next day stating that some of the stuff is out of stock.

I am still waiting on the rear door PPF that I ordered about a month ago, from the last email they stated it was out of stock but there is a label that was created 2 weeks ago and is still Pending.

I emailed them at the start of this week to inquire on the status of the rear door PPF, but no response so far so I'll probably wait a week and then email them again but I am guessing it is backordered and that they will ship it using the label that they generated when it is back in stock...

I've ordered a few items and they all arrived reasonably quickly without issue all they way to NJ. Maybe not Amazon fast, but good enough for me. Also, I noticed that their email alerts for back-in-stock really work. Got my mud flaps that way.

Since this topic is still rolling, I'll give you some data. I've ordered 8 items from Tesla's store (all in the past 2 months). Some of the items arrived a couple days later than predicted, some arrived a couple days earlier.

The quickest one to arrive was Homelink which took 5 days.
Six items were delivered between 7 and 15 days.
The charging adapter bundle, if it arrives as scheduled, will be 3.5 weeks from order to delivery.

Other places:
Tesmania is also ~1week from order to delivery in my experience.
The quickest I've had, as you could guess, was Amazon which only took 2 days (got some cheapo rear mudflaps).

Like zPaul above, never had issues ordering directly from Tesla, also when it comes to their adapter they say out of stock, Recd a faulty CHAdeMO adapter and it was replaced right away after it being checked out by the Moblie ranger.

Went into the Service Center on a Saturday morning and picked up a Tow hitch (brake controller) pigtail cable from their parts area. I told them that the Y doesn’t have that part listed yet but that the Model X pigtail was the same part. They had the part, charged my account… no issues.

Fred

Reactions: zpaul
I ordered lots of stuff from the Tesla shop in different orders: Wall charger, sun shades (top and rear), tire inflator, rubber mats, touch up paint and wireless phone charger. All arrived on time. This was just before Covid struck so maybe things have changed?

I ordered lots of stuff from the Tesla shop in different orders: Wall charger, sun shades (top and rear), tire inflator, rubber mats, touch up paint and wireless phone charger. All arrived on time. This was just before Covid struck so maybe things have changed?
I just ordered a charging cable holder and a new hat, both shipped within 2 business days. YMMV of course but I’ve ordered other things in the past with no problem. I think “garbage …” is a bit dramatic in a “do you still beat your wife” kind of way….