Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the auto parking so bad? 8 Years later.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2012 ford focus did it perfectly every time.
My 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid parked perfectly every time, too. It didn't require any camera calibration. It just worked first time, every time. Unlike Tesla, it identified every available parking place correctly. It always ended up a perfect 9" from the curb, centered between the fore and aft cars.
I almost never use the parallel parking in my Model S -- just can't feel comfortable trusting it. Like OP said, it's been EIGHT YEARS. This is pretty ridiculous when it's technology that's been around since Elon was wet behind the ears.

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic. But Im not that great a driver when it comes into pulling into my garage. I knocked a mirror off of my Lexus and have not even attempted to use my garage anymore. Does anybody know if I can stand inside the garage and summon the car and it will come inside without knocking off the mirrors. It will be a tight fit
If anybody here uses the park feature or summon feature to pull the car into a tight garage, I would absolutely love to hear how that is done.
Thank you in Advance

I had the parking feature work once. Although slow it did manage to park my car properly. Since then it has been erratic. When I put it in reverse the car backs up much past where the slot is and fairly fast. I've simply given up on it.

Thanks to this thread for confirming that I'm not doing anything wrong -- it really is my Mod X that simply isn't very good at backing into spaces.

And yes, many other (less expensive) cars do this well... AND have excellent Rear Cross-traffic warning... AND have 360 Bird's Eye view... AND have hands-free trunk opening.

There's so much to love in this $100k car, and so much disappointment.

Thanks to this thread for confirming that I'm not doing anything wrong -- it really is my Mod X that simply isn't very good at backing into spaces.

And yes, many other (less expensive) cars do this well... AND have excellent Rear Cross-traffic warning... AND have 360 Bird's Eye view... AND have hands-free trunk opening.

There's so much to love in this $100k car, and so much disappointment.

So much to love, so much disappointment. That’s how I feel about my model x too.

Reactions: Kweber!
So the ultrasonic sensors were added for the 2014 S.
My guess as to why Tesla doesn't put effort into improvement would be they can see how few use it. Now granted you could argue it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that nobody uses it because I it is crap.
My last car a Chevy SS had some parking feature I know it was supposed to be able to parallel park and such, in 2 years I never even tried it. Betting most folks feel the same.
It seems most of the complaints I hear are from those who never use auto park. Admittedly, perpendicular (i.e., back in) auto park is exceptionally slow, but it works every time. I’ve been using it since October 2015 and have never had a problem.

Parallel parking is even better. Not only does it work flawlessly, it’s fast. It pulls into spots I would be hesitant to try (and before you say it, I learned to drive in Philadelphia and parallel parking is a way of life for me).

Most of what I hear on this forum is simply regurgitation of others’ bad experiences. Go out and try it.

(Disclaimer. I am AP1 Model S. While I assume AP2 and model 3 is the same I don’t have first hand experience.)

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
I watched this today and..... how the hell has Tesla not nailed this after 8 years? Why why why?

P.s. those 2 white lines are ridiculously crappy atm.

I agree. It seems like most of the time when I try to get my M3 to auto park, it doesn't even give me the option to do it for either parallel parking or perpendicular parking even though it's clearly a situation where it should work. It's frustrating.

According to @Greentheonly on Twitter, they're using the legacy software for Autopark from the Aurix with no input from the cameras.
did not you get the memo? no more aurix on the hw3.

important corollary - now that autopark exists for hw3 too (reportedly it did not for some time) -it's now reimplemented to run on the linux side of things. So it's now possible to add camera input there too in particular.

What i'm hoping for is that they will hopefully make Autopark a much more capable system with the rewrite, adding cameras into the software for parking. Park Seek/Reverse Summon is supposed to come with the rewrite, and I would imagine that the current Autopark software would not be acceptable for such application. Especially not being reliable enough to monitor at a distance, or even being able to park in spaces that aren't bounded by two cars.

Q: Any updates on reverse summon?

@Elon: A lot of functionality will happen all at once when we transition to the new software stack. Most likely, it will be releasable in 2 to 4 months. Then it’s a question of what functionality is proven safe enough to enable for owners.

I'm hoping the "a lot of functionality" includes a much improved Autopark, as it's no secret the current version is not good.

Edit: Just found this post from last October
We’re working on a simple initial version of Autopark. Will be safe, but sometimes park in silly places that aren’t actual parking spaces.
Which seems to indicate that it is indeed being worked on.

Last edited:
Just to add another data point:
I have a 2018 Model S with HW2.5 and parallel parking works extremely well for me. It parks so quickly and so much better what I could have done manually. No correcting, it just snugs in there between two cars. "First try!" as Batman would say, he he. I am really happy with it.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I have had an unfortunate Autopark incident where my Model s collided with another car while parallel parking, the car started lining itself up very close to the other car, about 6 inches away and then collided with the other car with insufficient time for me to take over and prevent it.

There was significant paint damage to my car, tesla downloaded the analytics and confirmed what had taken place but would not accept any responsibility relaying the nutshell that it is down to the driver to maintain full control of the vehicle at all times.

It is appalling how any manufacturer could sell such a product feature and not stand by it, the feature is not fit for purpose.

Because it’s a really difficult programming project to accomplish using cameras. ...

If you think it’s easy, grab a keyboard and solve it for them. :)

I want this perfected also. We all do.
It’s new tech, that is difficult, and takes time, talent, and money.

What a negative response! Making excuses for a manufacturer is so unproductive. It's all very well Tesla spending so much time on providing silly time-wasting games. If only they could divert such energy if not financial investment into getting the long term issues like this to be resolved.

If we keep making excuses for any technology, then there's no incentive to further develope & progress!

What a negative response! Making excuses for a manufacturer is so unproductive. It's all very well Tesla spending so much time on providing silly time-wasting games. If only they could divert such energy if not financial investment into getting the long term issues like this to be resolved.

If we keep making excuses for any technology, then there's no incentive to further develope & progress!
I always say that if someone can’t fix the small stuff, they most likely won’t be able to fix the bigger issues.

Reactions: CertLive
I have used it a few times to parallel park with the Model X and Model 3. Worked every time and quite smoothly at that.
The only problem I have had is having the system "find" the parking space that is obviously there. I experienced some anxiety over the possibility that someone would drive up behind me while my car was maneuvering.

After over 60 years of driving experience my parallel parking skills are adequate although I no longer use "Chicago radar" to find the bumper of the car behind me now that I have ultrasound.:))

I tried perpendicular parking a 3 or 4 times but that was really worrisome because the car backed part way into the slot and then pulled out to straighten out. I was worried that ,if another car was coming in the parking aisle toward me, they might try to drive around my protruding front end at the same time my car decided to pull forward.

What a negative response! Making excuses for a manufacturer is so unproductive. It's all very well Tesla spending so much time on providing silly time-wasting games.

Tesla spends roughly 0 time doing that though.

All the games on the car are existing games, written by other people, that Tesla just added to a menu.

That'd take the UI guy like 5 minutes.

Also- I don't know how much you know about programming- but the guy who takes the 5 minutes to add an existing game to a menu is probably not the SAME guy who is doing self-driving/self-parking AI training and programming.

So while I agree they need to improve the parking features, the "games" thing is 100% irrelevant to them doing that.

As several folks have mentioned though, the coming AP re-write explicitly will improve (ideally fix) this problem. They ARE working on it and have been for a while. It'd be required for reverse-summon to work.