Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the auto parking so bad? 8 Years later.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had an unfortunate Autopark incident where my Model s collided with another car while parallel parking, the car started lining itself up very close to the other car, about 6 inches away and then collided with the other car with insufficient time for me to take over and prevent it.

There was significant paint damage to my car, tesla downloaded the analytics and confirmed what had taken place but would not accept any responsibility relaying the nutshell that it is down to the driver to maintain full control of the vehicle at all times.

It is appalling how any manufacturer could sell such a product feature and not stand by it, the feature is not fit for purpose.

The crazy thing is, customers are paying Tesla huge sums of money to be their beta testers, with them assuming no accountability, thanks to those disclaimers. Paraphrase here: " Driver assumes all risks and must be ready to take over at any time". Then what the hell are auto park, summon, fsd,.... for? Might as well drive the car myself like I've been doing all my life. If a feature is not ready, DON'T release it. Now, if Tesla pays customers to be beta testers, then I don't think anybody would complain about anything. In fact, people would be happy to report any malfunctions to Tesla for data, and willing to assume more responsibility.

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic. But Im not that great a driver when it comes into pulling into my garage. I knocked a mirror off of my Lexus and have not even attempted to use my garage anymore. Does anybody know if I can stand inside the garage and summon the car and it will come inside without knocking off the mirrors. It will be a tight fit
If anybody here uses the park feature or summon feature to pull the car into a tight garage, I would absolutely love to hear how that is done.
Thank you in Advance
I’ve used it a couple times. It does work, but it is a little slow and you need to be pretty well lined up as it only makes small adjustments while moving in a straight line. It is definitely worth trying to get your Tesla back in a garage. Here is a video which shows ways to do it; there are lots more if you Google “Tesla Summon garage”.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=8JGXjMpecEE&usg=AOvVaw0CJf430Axq1XbhpYIYrEBe

Reactions: puresurfr2
My 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid parked perfectly every time, too. It didn't require any camera calibration. It just worked first time, every time. Unlike Tesla, it identified every available parking place correctly. It always ended up a perfect 9" from the curb, centered between the fore and aft cars.
I almost never use the parallel parking in my Model S -- just can't feel comfortable trusting it. Like OP said, it's been EIGHT YEARS. This is pretty ridiculous when it's technology that's been around since Elon was wet behind the ears.
Have you been on the Ford forum lately? My son has it and has problems with it. He tells me some people on the forum complain of problems and tell how great the Tesla is in comparison. :) Oh well, I guess the both sometimes work and sometimes don't.

Have you been on the Ford forum lately? My son has it and has problems with it. He tells me some people on the forum complain of problems and tell how great the Tesla is in comparison. :) Oh well, I guess the both sometimes work and sometimes don't.

Correct all cars do have their issues. Just maybe we shouldn't stand for them day one. But my point is an honest comparison with other technologies that have been available for some time. I think it it something capable of being much better but its been forgotten about as I mulled over to go for FSD or not. It says you are from Gigafactory 1 which I am sure is a good insight as to why so many day one events though it is not really part of this particular comparison.

Reactions: Silicon Desert