Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the EV market so weird?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a Prius a number of times, and I've driven the Volt a lot. In my opinion, Peter, you chose poorly, though I had a similar experience with the dealer. Even though they had two Volts gathering dust on the lot they seemed unenthusiastic about selling them. The volt is twice the car that a Prius is. Performance, handling, economy, fit and finish, features, comfort--all 2X. I didn't expect that. I assumed I was donning a hair shirt getting a Volt but it seemed like a good idea for Maui (though my wife refuses to let me stick surfboards/windsurfers/downwind SUPs on the roof and smelly wet gear in the rear). Stunned is an understatement.

For me, the Tesla is a lot like the Ferrari 360 Spider I once owned. A car that gives me pleasure no matter where I'm driving it. But for the stuff I like to do everyday, and the lifestyle I lead, my Ford F350 Diesel is a much better choice. Fortunately the Tesla is low-profile. I got rid of the Ferrari when I moved to Hood River. I didn't want to be the A******e with the Ferrari in a town where if people ask you "what do you do?" they don't mean for a living. They mean which extreme sports are you into.

Last edited:
Maybe so and as I say, I know some very happy Volt owners - the Volt is a great car. As it turns out, I almost never drive the Prius anyway - it's rare that I need to go out when the Prius is the only car at home. The Prius V is a fine, practical car and it has a lot more cargo space than the Volt (943L vs. 300L), which we need, but it's absolutely not exciting or fun to drive. In reality, what I would have liked was a Volt with the cargo space of a Prius V. Given what was out there, as much as I would like to have an electric drive train, I think the Prius was the best choice for what we needed.

Maybe when the Gen 3 comes out, it'll have enough cargo space and there will be enough charging options around that we can trade in the Prius for one :)

Good that we have choices. I wouldn't call a Volt an exciting car, but it's fun to drive, and very satisfying. Cargo space hasn't been a problem since my wife won't let me carry the kind of stuff I need anyway. I have a beat up Pathfinder for that.

I took a friend for a ride in our Tesla last night. Shocked the hell out of him. People still equate EV with slow and cumbersome.

For me, the Tesla is a lot like the Ferrari 360 Spider I once owned. A car that gives me pleasure no matter where I'm driving it. But for the stuff I like to do everyday, and the lifestyle I lead, my Ford F350 Diesel is a much better choice...

Just shows how people's needs vary so much.
We had a Volt and a Model S. Through the first winter and spring with both cars my wife and I found we used the MS for everything.
Daily commuting, hauling, weekend vacations (and now longer driving vacations).
The Volt almost never got used. So we replaced the Volt with our second Model S.

Yes, we drive the MSs for fun, but also for its cargo capacity, passenger capacity, long haul comfort, and just pure driving pleasure.