Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the glass roof so dark tinted on the refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos on the refreshed 2021 Model S Plaid and Long range, and I cant help but notice that the glass roof looks very dark in all the videos, sometimes it almost looks pitch black!

I get that it's tinted to protect from heat and UV and what not, but is it not a bit overkill that they made it so dark? Im comparing to say Model 3 glass roof which looks a lot less tinted, or lets say the Porsche Taycan glass roof looks a lot brighter than the new Model S

What do you think? Any current owner who feels otherwise?

Reactions: impastu
I was sitting in a refresh S yesterday in bright sun. I noticed what you’re saying (dark tint) but it’s same as our X. Unlike the X, the S is unobstructed large glass surface area so a potential source for a large volume of heat. The glass roof was warm to the touch in late September NY sun so summer in Arizona probably offers egg-frying amount of UV heat. View to sky was still quite nice.

Do we know for fact it's either A. darker than previous Model S years, or B. darker than model 3/Y? Or does it just appear darker (opinion)?

Genuinely curious if it's fact or speculation

I don't have my new S yet, but when I sat in one I did notice that the glass roof is definitely darker than my 2018 M3. One thing the extra darkness does is create more reflections on the ceiling. In my M3 you see more of the sky. In the S I saw more reflections of the interior.