Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the Model 3 Sound System so Good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so he goes through all the trouble of buying a mic and a phone app to represent the frequency response in a spectrograph which is like the feature noone ever uses on their frequency analysers?

I think we all know that the tweeter puts out high frequencies and the midrange comes from medium sized woofer cones and most of the subbass comes from the subwoofer. He didn't need the app for that.

Would have been far more useful to record the actual frequency response of the car.

Not dissing, just saying...

Indeed would be good to look at the overall frequency response. Here's mine from my Model S for bass and mid-range after tweaking the EQ manually. FYI left the large 25Hz peak to compensate for the usual bass response loss due to road noise.
TSLA FQ.png

Reactions: MrBoylan
We want to know the frequency response of the car's sound system at the listening position(s):

Thanks for that. Difficult to read the y axis values, but looks to me like the default "flat" response on the Model 3 isn't - flat, I mean. Looks like it is 10-20dB too thick all the way from 30Hz to 200Hz. That would sound rather bloated on natural sounding music like the trad jazz & classical that I listen to, but likely adds some punch to pop music.

I don't think you want it flat (need to overcome road and wind noise floor). I haven't heard the M3 sound system, but I also haven't heard anyone call it bloated or thick on the bottom end. Anyways, one can adjust to taste.

Reactions: 12Pack
One of the first things I noticed in our Model 3 was the amazing sound system. I was wondering how they achieved it, so my son and I did some investigating. All video credits go to my son, I was just the guy with the car.

work proxy sometimes chokes on embedded video. In case anyone else needs it I grabbed the URL and pasted it below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3mO8UWFmAk

Thanks for that. Difficult to read the y axis values, but looks to me like the default "flat" response on the Model 3 isn't - flat, I mean. Looks like it is 10-20dB too thick all the way from 30Hz to 200Hz. That would sound rather bloated on natural sounding music like the trad jazz & classical that I listen to, but likely adds some punch to pop music.

A car is not the same environment as a home studio (same as how the best studio headphones not really all that flat).

You need huge boosts below 200hz to give you a natural sound. And below 60hz you need insanely high boosts to make it audible.
You probably also need quite a bit of a cut at 4000-6000hz in a car as that'll probably cause a headache when driving fast which means you have to turn up the system louder for the same perceived volume.

A car is not the same environment as a home studio (same as how the best studio headphones not really all that flat).

You need huge boosts below 200hz to give you a natural sound. And below 60hz you need insanely high boosts to make it audible.
You probably also need quite a bit of a cut at 4000-6000hz in a car as that'll probably cause a headache when driving fast which means you have to turn up the system louder for the same perceived volume.

EVs are super quiet, I would argue that my Tesla is the quietest place in my house. ;)

Reactions: ölbrenner
In my experience, the 3 premium sound is inferior to the X premium sound in terms of raw capability.

However, the Model 3 uses a software trick to make up for that: they perform advanced stereo separation very similar to what Apple's desktop iTunes software does (see Preferences -> Playback -> Sound Enhancer). It artificially increases the soundstage by identifying spatially separated instruments, and makes them wider. I love the effect.

One of the first things I noticed in our Model 3 was the amazing sound system.
Yes! You can't help but notice it immediately--it's that superior. We have a 2014 S 90D with premium sound, and my 3's audio is better! On another note--didn't know where else to post this and it at least is sound-related: M3 is unable to receive Sirius XM. Perhaps this is well-known but it came as a surprise when I was taking delivery of my 3 two days ago. I was told a 3 with a sunroof will be able to receive satellite radio signals, when and if that option becomes available. But I quickly realized with Slacker and TuneIn, I don't miss Sirius (or subscription costs) at all.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Does anyone know what brand speakers/sound system is in the Model 3?

I was thinking the same thing... I have a theory...

Maybe they had CDT Audio design their sound system?

I don’t know if other oem soundsystems that also have tweeters up high in the A pillars

CDT Audio BSC-1 Bright Sound Compensator

Wonder what speakers are by the windshield as well?

Could be this?

CDT Audio Technical Information - StageFront

And maybe even this in the center

CDT Audio Technical Informations - Center Stage

I’m just wondering because of the speaker positions, a nice wide soundstage that’s past the windshield, nice balanced sound.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin