TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why is the Model X offered in only 60kWh and 80kWh?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by DaveT, Nov 29, 2012.

1. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

I just noticed on Tesla's website that the Model X is being offered in only 60 and 80 kWh batteries. Does anybody know why they're not offering it in 40kWh?

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

As best I can remember, they've always said it would be offered in only 60 or 80kwh configurations. They've never publicly shared the reasons why, but elsewhere on the forum people have speculated that range would be too low (the X will not be as efficient as the S) or perhaps that the 40kwh battery was only offered to get the price below $50k (w/tax credit).

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

JB has been quoted as saying something like "we think 125 miles of range is a bare minimum". He didn't elaborate on whether that's a new or old battery, standard or range mode; but however it's calculated, they may feel that the 40kWh battery won't suffice on a Model X (where it just barely will on a Model S, which has less aero drag. Or, as Bonnie points out, maybe they never liked the 40kWh option at all, but only offered it to meet a price point).

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I think it's a combination of too low range (RAV4 EV rated 103 miles EPA with similar size battery) and the price point.

Keep in mind that the RAV4 EV (it has 41.8kWh) is pretty close to a 40kWh Model X. I think they don't want to cannibalize RAV4 EV sales.

5. DaveT

Makes sense about the Model X not being as efficient as the Model S. I can imagine the Model X weighing a bit more and having greater drag, thus lowering the mileage that the 40 kWh battery could give.

Regarding not cannibalizing Rav4 EV sales, I doubt it. My understanding is the Rav4 EV was created just so Toyota could comply with California's requirements.

6. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

All true, and I'd add that acceleration likely drops as well. But the big issue (to me) looks to be that the power requirements of ALWAYS having to lug around the extra weight (thus increasining the power draw) will heavily impact the durability of the 40kWh pack as well. It becomes statistically much more likely that a given MX40 will always be experiencing very deep and very stressful charge cycles.

Those issues affect the 60kWh and 85kWh options as well, but you have additional margin to engineer your way around the obstacles.

7. alexkiritz

alexkiritz Member

A few reasons:

• The Model X will be towing capable which requires more torque and therefore more power
    • Range
    • Tesla makes (or at least will make) a larger margin on the bigger battery models and because the Model X will be more expensive to make, yet cost the same as the Model S, the 40 kwh model is not justifiable.

I doubt it has much to do with RAV4EV competition.

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

My hope is that the reason is they won't be making 40 kwh batteries by then, only 60, 85 and 100 kwh. They just don't want to announce the 100's yet.

9. DaveT

100 kWh batteries would be awesome. Can't wait.

10. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

I do not believe that the X will cost the same as the S when it is all said and done. I think they may be similar in price, but not the same.

11. htsai14752

htsai14752 Member

It might be the fact that the model X is awd so it needs to power 2 motors. If you have a 40kWh you might get half of what the model S gets on a 40. Just a thought.

12. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Some offered the opinion that the 40kWh pack in Model S merely serves the purpose to reach the $50k entry price. Only a few in North America will get a Model S for that price, anyhow, because they reserved before the price increase. In oversea markets, Tesla will not introduce Model S with 40kWh pack at all.

In Model X, bigger weight and aero drag would cut further into the acceleration and range of a 40kWh pack. Tesla has to defend the brand image of performance & long range EV and the 40kWh pack seems fallen victim here. BTW many see the new Toyota RAV4 EV with a Tesla-made 41.6kWh pack as an alternative to a 40kWh equipped Model X.