Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the newly announce X have lower range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was an article a couple weeks ago that Tesla released an 85kwh battery for S/X not available for sale.

I’ll bet the current X (and S) has the new 85kwh battery. And things are a lot more efficient. That would explain things.

The plaid+ S might be a 100 kWh (or more)

If S does have 85kwh battery based on the planned plaid+ boost from 412 to 520 the math comes out to 107kwh but that does not account for added weight. So I bet a 110Kwh battery is on the horizon. Only planned for plaid+ but I bet it makes it into the X eventually. That would bring the X up to approx 450 miles range. I’m sure they have a long range (no pun) road map ahead for the X. There is no need to make it better than the best, since it already is.

But it does make it hard to justify upgrading going from 326 (Raven) miles to 360. Or others that had 371 (Raven+). Battery is first. It would be an easy sell going to 450 miles. Bet you we see 450 range within about a year.

Probably more accuracy testing. Ever heard of anyone getting close to 371 miles on a charge?

Personally, the difference does not affect my decision to buy. I charge before I get to 15%.

I don’t think accuracy has anything to do with it. It’s a specific EPA test that is used to compare vehicles. Not what you get in practice. And not under Tesla control.

On both my Tesla’s I get better than EPA rating in the summer. Model S has steadily gone up along with the X. Except this last round S went up (although not that much) X went down (not by that much).

It is interesting though that in the UK (different standards) never went up since initial Raven.

I don’t think accuracy has anything to do with it. It’s a specific EPA test that is used to compare vehicles. Not what you get in practice. And not under Tesla control.

On both my Tesla’s I get better than EPA rating in the summer. Model S has steadily gone up along with the X. Except this last round S went up (although not that much) X went down (not by that much).

It is interesting though that in the UK (different standards) never went up since initial Raven.
On the site, it shows 360 miles of range (EST), but not (EPA EST) like the Model Y or 3 do. So not sure this was from the EPA test suite. Maybe the number will change.

Reactions: goneskiian
On the site, it shows 360 miles of range (EST), but not (EPA EST) like the Model Y or 3 do. So not sure this was from the EPA test suite. Maybe the number will change.

Possibly. But you'd think the estimate would be higher. Also things need to be pretty far along if they are shipping in March or April.

Since when does Tesla ever go down on something like this. Only explanation is a smaller battery, with room to enhance later.

It might be the efficiencies they added benefited the Model S more (like drag coefficient, tires, wheels) than the X. Ideally you want to move to small batteries as efficiencies go up.

There was an article a couple weeks ago that Tesla released an 85kwh battery for S/X not available for sale.

I’ll bet the current X (and S) has the new 85kwh battery. And things are a lot more efficient. That would explain things.

The plaid+ S might be a 100 kWh (or more)

If S does have 85kwh battery based on the planned plaid+ boost from 412 to 520 the math comes out to 107kwh but that does not account for added weight. So I bet a 110Kwh battery is on the horizon. Only planned for plaid+ but I bet it makes it into the X eventually. That would bring the X up to approx 450 miles range. I’m sure they have a long range (no pun) road map ahead for the X. There is no need to make it better than the best, since it already is.

But it does make it hard to justify upgrading going from 326 (Raven) miles to 360. Or others that had 371 (Raven+). Battery is first. It would be an easy sell going to 450 miles. Bet you we see 450 range within about a year.

This makes sense for a whole lot of reasons. Range is equivalent but less cells for each of these cars means more cells for 3 and Y sales.