Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the newly announce X have lower range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was an article a couple weeks ago that Tesla released an 85kwh battery for S/X not available for sale.

I’ll bet the current X (and S) has the new 85kwh battery. And things are a lot more efficient. That would explain things.

The plaid+ S might be a 100 kWh (or more)

If S does have 85kwh battery based on the planned plaid+ boost from 412 to 520 the math comes out to 107kwh but that does not account for added weight. So I bet a 110Kwh battery is on the horizon. Only planned for plaid+ but I bet it makes it into the X eventually. That would bring the X up to approx 450 miles range. I’m sure they have a long range (no pun) road map ahead for the X. There is no need to make it better than the best, since it already is.

But it does make it hard to justify upgrading going from 326 (Raven) miles to 360. Or others that had 371 (Raven+). Battery is first. It would be an easy sell going to 450 miles. Bet you we see 450 range within about a year.
I think this is going to turn out to be the correct take.

LCI X Long Range is about 300lb lighter than the Raven LR+ spec line, 5185 vs. ~5500. Notably, 5185 is about the same curb weight spec as the old 75D/Standard Range Raven. So, the pack has to have gotten smaller, the rear motor is bigger and about twice as powerful, and likely has beefier power electronics and cabling associated with it, so.... There's nowhere else to take weight out of the car, it's already aluminum everywhere that isn't glass. Maybe an aluminum subframe or something like that could take a fewlb out, but not 200+.

I think this is going to turn out to be the correct take.

LCI X Long Range is about 300lb lighter than the Raven LR+ spec line, 5185 vs. ~5500. Notably, 5185 is about the same curb weight spec as the old 75D/Standard Range Raven. So, the pack has to have gotten smaller, the rear motor is bigger and about twice as powerful, and likely has beefier power electronics and cabling associated with it, so.... There's nowhere else to take weight out of the car, it's already aluminum everywhere that isn't glass. Maybe an aluminum subframe or something like that could take a fewlb out, but not 200+.

Exactly what I was thinking. I’d be pretty upset if I bought one and couple months later they announced a longer range X. I think they would be better off doing what they did on S with plaid+ and announce a date when longer range will be available. Also another thread discusses no mention of air suspension. I suspect that all weighs a few pounds too.

One theory I haven't heard here is that they went to a new cell chemistry to get the power needed for plaid but had to give up a small amount of energy density too get it. I don't buy the argument that they are cell constrained and cell count has decreased. S/X use difference cells than 3/Y and the S/X cell supply chain is mature and has proven ability to supply for 100k S/X per year. Reduced cell count for improved cooling is possible. Additionally I don't buy the argument that reduced mass means reduced battery mass, there's always ways to cut structural mass, mega casings likely help.

There's similar talk in another thread about a 90kWh battery causing the range loss.

So all in all, price increases while reductions in cost ;)
And a little further down was this post which sounds plausible too.

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

Personally I would wait until the new cells are in the cars, but then I am happy enough with my 2016 90D since I never venture more than about 75 miles from home anymore with COVID around. ;)

I don't buy the argument that they are cell constrained and cell count has decreased. S/X use difference cells than 3/Y and the S/X cell supply chain is mature and has proven ability to supply for 100k S/X per year.

There is something you are forgetting: When they were pumping out 100k S/X per year, they were selling mostly standard range, i.e. 75kWh, variants. When they switched to only having longer range that dropped their capacity to 90k year. As was reported for 2020 through the 20Q3 update. But now in the 20Q4 update they announced that their capacity is back to 100k/year. Which is likely to be because of fewer cells in the pack. Which lines up with a significant weight reduction, and reduced range on the X. (The S didn't get reduced range because they were able to make up for it with better aerodynamics.)

There is something you are forgetting: When they were pumping out 100k S/X per year, they were selling mostly standard range, i.e. 75kWh, variants. When they switched to only having longer range that dropped their capacity to 90k year. As was reported for 2020 through the 20Q3 update. But now in the 20Q4 update they announced that their capacity is back to 100k/year. Which is likely to be because of fewer cells in the pack. Which lines up with a significant weight reduction, and reduced range on the X. (The S didn't get reduced range because they were able to make up for it with better aerodynamics.)
We will see once the EPA docs come out, if there is a reduced cell count, I think it will only be for the purposes of freeing up space for better cooling and that total reduction in cell count will be minimal, as in less than 5%. I still see reduced pack capacity (if indeed it is reduced) as being most likely to be caused by a cell-level reduction in energy density, a reduction driven by a need to increase power density.

We will see once the EPA docs come out, if there is a reduced cell count, I think it will only be for the purposes of freeing up space for better cooling and that total reduction in cell count will be minimal, as in less than 5%. I still see reduced pack capacity (if indeed it is reduced) as being most likely to be caused by a cell-level reduction in energy density, a reduction driven by a need to increase power density.

Where do you think they reduced weight by ~300 lbs?

Where do you think they reduced weight by ~300 lbs?
Structure, including pack/module structure. Cutting 300lb off a 5000 lb design is big. But it's not an unreasonable level of mass reduction for a vehicle that hasn't seen a full redesign in 8 years. Everyone here is making statements like "but most stuff is already aluminum etc. etc."

There are tons of different aluminum alloys with very different structural properties, likewise with steels where ultimate strength can vary from about 50ksi to 220ksi+, all designs are constrained by available manufacturing processes and a million other factors. I'm an engineer and a structural reviewer at my company. I don't think your theory of fewer batteries is unreasonable, but given the big increases in charge and discharge power I think mine's better. I wouldn't be too surprised to be wrong though.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
I don't think your theory of fewer batteries is unreasonable, but given the big increases in charge and discharge power I think mine's better. I wouldn't be too surprised to be wrong though.

Ok, then how do you explain that the Model S, with better aero drag, received slightly more range, but the Model X lost range? (Even after weight reduction and adding the heat pump.)

Reactions: VikH
Ok, then how do you explain that the Model S, with better aero drag, received slightly more range, but the Model X lost range? (Even after weight reduction and adding the heat pump.)
Of course I don't have a complete explanation but there are many possibilities including (as I said) that some energy density was traded for power density. Additionally less efficient tires may come standard, there may be additional power draw from internal components like the "gaming computer" and 360 and 340 are pretty round numbers, so wouldn't be surprised if they're sandbagging a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIL
I wonder if they made the batteries bigger to get the extra power, does make it less likely that they offer a 100 kWh based LR+ model in the future? Bc there isn't the room for the larger battery? I don't think that would make sense since the plaid model presumably has a larger battery today, right?