Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the Standard Range Y gone? Is MCU3 gaming computer incoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know that Model S and X are getting a new gaming computer chip this week "MCU3". Suddenly Tesla blows out the SR Y inventory for $39,990 and then deletes the SR from the website. We also know that a presentation on the new Model S is coming within 2 weeks. Maybe they announce that the new MCU3 gaming computer (already confirmed standard in S and X) is now included on Y and 3 as well? The MCU2 chip used in the S,3,X,Y launched in Summer 2017, almost 4 years ago.
New MCU3 chip for all cars? New FSD subscription for all cars? Presentation on all this coming soon?

I don't see them adding the gaming computer aspect to the M3 / MY, these are meant to be affordable cars for more people to be able to purchase and aren't their "luxury" vehicles. The gaming computer aspect is not essential for a car to have, it would make sense for this concept to be exclusive to the expensive higher end vehicles in Tesla's lineup. It would raise the price of production for the M3 and MY and go against what they are trying to accomplish with these models, unless Tesla would be okay with lowering their margins to put gaming computers that aren't necessary for a car.

Agreed, if it was expensive then they wouldn't add it to the 3 and Y. However . . . what if this is just a simple chip replacement that adds the MCU3 chip and the 5G function, and it's only $50 more per car for Tesla compared to the existing MCU2 chip from 2017? Then there's no increased production cost, no extra software cost because they're developing the software anyway for S/X, and the MCU3 chip is pin-compatible with the old chip for the same board? Just guessing here, but maybe it's a cheap upgrade that will sell tons more cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hovscorpion1
The Model 3 and Y will get the MCU 3 later in 2021. Tesla will simply update their existing infotainment upgrade page with references for Model 3 and Y. Playing Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 and other games will NOT be limited by Model S/X.

The Model S/X are not mainstream vehicles. Tesla sells well over 100K Model 3/Ys in a single quarter whereas Model S/X sales are less then 20K. Tesla will NOT deny the existing 300.00+ Model 3/Y's owners as well as future owners.

Since All Tesla's now officially use a single infotainment touchscreen, the infotainment will be simpler to upgrade (with the exception of the screen size).

The MCU 3 Infotainment upgrade for Model 3/Y will cost close to ~$1,500 or $2,500 as it was for the MCU 2.

Last edited:
I don't see them adding the gaming computer aspect to the M3 / MY, these are meant to be affordable cars for more people to be able to purchase and aren't their "luxury" vehicles. The gaming computer aspect is not essential for a car to have, it would make sense for this concept to be exclusive to the expensive higher end vehicles in Tesla's lineup. It would raise the price of production for the M3 and MY and go against what they are trying to accomplish with these models, unless Tesla would be okay with lowering their margins to put gaming computers that aren't necessary for a car.

The gaming computer WILL come to ALL MODEL 3/Ys.