Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the Tesla 24' Gen 2 wall charger so much on eBay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I have a new in box one I never installed that I was going to just give away to the buyer of my Model S. Seem like its worth what I paid for it, maybe.

Even the price of past sales seems high. Some of them had a Musk Signature though.

"Gen 2 can go up to 80 amps for faster charging versus Gen 3 (48 amps)"

Last edited:
Why is the Tesla 24' Gen 2 wall charger so much on eBay? Do folks like them more than the Gen 3?

Because:

1. They dont actually sell for 1k+ in general, I dont think but..
2. They can go to 80 amps
3. If you have one gen 2 already and want power sharing, you need another gen 2 (or to buy (2) gen 3s
4. Power sharing on gen 2s is done with a communications cable (Not wifi) and many people (including myself) feel that a physical cable connecting the wall connectors is better than depending on a wifi connection for something like power sharing.
5. Early Gen 3s had overheating problems which soured many existing tesla owners on them (although It seems they have a handle on that now)
6. Many feel that in general the Gen 2 is made physically more robust / better.
7. Tesla does not sell Gen 2s any longer so if you want one for ANY of those reasons above, you have to get one that someone has / had etc. New in box old stock is highly desirable for those who still want this specific model.

I paid like $700 or so for my second one (new in box) when we got my wifes model Y, as I really wanted power sharing with the existing gen 2, and buying 2 gen 3s for power sharing would have cost me more. If you have it new in box you can probably get 600-800 for it.

Only an existing tesla owner would likely pay a premium for it though, most new owners probably want "the new one" because its "the new one". I personally like the gen 2 much better if you cant tell.

Not sure where the 80a is an advantage as according to this chart nothing changes regarding charging speed compared to the 60a Gen3.

The charge cable is twice the size and consequently twice the weight.

The unit could be on a 100a breaker however this is probably 1/2 of available power in the average 200a service panel.

No built in wifi for updates and user selected options therefor not as smart as the Gen3

If a unit goes on the blink then you will probably need to switch over to a Gen3 unless you want to pay twice as much if you can find one that is and there would not be a warranty on it.

The Gen3 is already the most powerful home charger one can get today. The world standard is less than the 60a Gen3 for a reason and require a 50a breaker for full capacity in comparison. 80a was simply not a great idea for the average home owner.

Not sure where the 80a is an advantage as according to this chart nothing changes regarding charging speed compared to the 60a Gen3.
Not on any car that has a max charge current of 48 Amps or less. Some older Moled X/S can and will charge faster on a Gen2 WC if it's set up for more than 48 Amps though.
The charge cable is twice the size and consequently twice the weight.
To me that is an advantage. I have both a gen2 and a gen3 WC and I don't like how flimsy the gen3 cord feels, plus it gets quite warm when I charge at 48 Amps. Personally I prefer the heavier cable on the gen2 WC.
The unit could be on a 100a breaker however this is probably 1/2 of available power in the average 200a service panel.
Correct, but also not necessarily a problem. The remaining power should be more than enough for most folks.
No built in wifi for updates and user selected options therefor not as smart as the Gen3
That is a blessing and a curse. With updates via WiFi Tesla could be tempted to sell a product that is not really fully developed, fully knowing that they can just push an update at a later time. Seeing what they have done with the UI in the car I'd rather not want them to mess with my WC. All I want is a product that works. If I need to charge, I want to plug in the car and be done with it. Much like @jjrandorin I would also prefer wires over a WiFi connection if I needed the power sharing feature.
If a unit goes on the blink then you will probably need to switch over to a Gen3 unless you want to pay twice as much if you can find one that is and there would not be a warranty on it.
Possibly, but afaik the gen2 units don't seem to have a lot of problems. All the threads about WC problems popped up when gen3 came out.
The Gen3 is already the most powerful home charger one can get today. The world standard is less than the 60a Gen3 for a reason and require a 50a breaker for full capacity in comparison. 80a was simply not a great idea for the average home owner.
80 Amps seems over the edge to me. With my 48 Amp setup I'm charging the battery at 11.5 kW, so it takes roughly seven hours to charge from 0-100% (which has never happened). Yes, 80 Amps would make it even faster on a car with the required hardware, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter to the vast majority of people.

I mentioned that the gen 2s can go to 80 amps (on a 100amp circuit) because that is one of the features, but I dont think thats a huge direct advantage. As mentioned by a few, modern teslas only charge up to 48 amps (60amp circuit).

The indirect benefit of being able to go to 80amps, however, is that the device is built for that (meaning that its built more robust, with thicker cabling etc). If its made to be used for several hours at 80 amp charging speed, that means that no modern tesla will even stress the device as at 48 amps it wont be charging at its "max" but at a little over 1/2 its capacity.

The "thicker wires" is a plus to me, not a minus. It means its more robust. Its thicker because it has to support charging at a much higher speed than the gen 3. If I can avoid it, I never like using a device "maxed out", especially for any long length of time.

Couple that with the fact I already had a gen 2, and wanted to do power sharing (I have powerwalls which makes adding things more complicated than normal), and for me, the gen 2 is worth the premium I paid for it.

Note that I dont think that is the case for everyone. I think tesla has mostly ironed out the overheating problems of the early gen 3s, they finally (more than a year after releasing the product) enabled power sharing on gen 3 wall connectors via a firmware update. I have a personal policy that I will never buy something based on "what its promised to do" or "what it might do later after a firmware update" or " we are going to add this functionality".

I will only buy something if I am happy with how it is NOW, and anything added "later" is not that important to me, or I am ok if it never happens. I knew I wanted to do power sharing if I ever got another tesla, and the gen 3s were supposed to have it "later".

I got my 80A Gen2 from the classifieds on here. At the time, I was preparing for the arrival of my first Model S, an 85D with dual chargers. So I wanted to max out the car's charging capability. Over the year or so that I had the car, the 80A charging was an absolute life-saver maybe three or four times. Being limited to 48A with my LR+ gave me pause initially, but the larger capacity, and faster supercharging speeds, plus a slight reconfiguring of my parking situation, mean that I don't miss the 80A capability.

I may yet use it again, though (with a TeslaTap), if I go ahead with the Lucid Air I have on order.

I know it’s only marginally related, but the button on my Gen2 no longer opens the charging port. The car works normally at other chargers, and the button works to terminate a charging session to unplug. Any ideas from Gen2 owners?

that chart is obviously not accurate, anyone can tell you that a car charges faster at 19kW than it does at 11kW. and i can back that up since i have used many 11kw and own a 19kw one. and guess what? my car charges faster at home at 19kW than at 11kW ones in the wild 🤯

Not connected to Wi-Fi is a feature, i hate all this IOT smart home crap.

As far as the OP and eBay i was able to score a brand new sealed in box Gen 2 HPWC for $500 a couple months ago. It either fell off the back of a truck or was a referral reward that the owner didn't need, But since he was selling 6 of them at once I'm pretty sure they fell off the back of a truck lol.
Just keep your eyes open and check HPWC every couple days, there are some used ones that pop up every few weeks for $400 or so. But i should've just bought out all that guys stock and sold the other 5 for like $700 each 😂

Reactions: blodg1
that chart is obviously not accurate, anyone can tell you that a car charges faster at 19kW than it does at 11kW. and i can back that up since i have used many 11kw and own a 19kw one. and guess what? my car charges faster at home at 19kW than at 11kW ones in the wild 🤯

Not connected to Wi-Fi is a feature, i hate all this IOT smart home crap.

As far as the OP and eBay i was able to score a brand new sealed in box Gen 2 HPWC for $500 a couple months ago. It either fell off the back of a truck or was a referral reward that the owner didn't need, But since he was selling 6 of them at once I'm pretty sure they fell off the back of a truck lol.
Just keep your eyes open and check HPWC every couple days, there are some used ones that pop up every few weeks for $400 or so. But i should've just bought out all that guys stock and sold the other 5 for like $700 each 😂
When I was working for Tesla last year we had over 1200 Gen 2 HPWC in stock. I was told they were being held for warranty exchange and once that potential is gone, they will liquidate.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Looking at the prices of the alternatives, you can see why the Gen2 is good value, if you must have 80A:

Ford ChargeStation Pro: $1,310
Lucid Connected Home Charging Station: $1,200
ClipperCreek CS-100: $2,195
WattZilla Uno: $2,493

The first two are bi-directional, of course (and, to an extent, vapourware). There may be other options, this is just from a quick search.

FWIW for our vacation home, after much research, I just got a Grizzl-E - at $409 refurbished it's a pretty good deal for a no-frills 40A EVSE.

As others have said, older Model S and X cars (I believe those prior to 2018) had an optional second internal charger that allowed the car to charge up to 72A on an 80A circuit which can net ~50-53 miles per hour as opposed to ~30 on a 60A circuit.

The chart is showing the max rate a current Tesla can charge which is why the numbers don't change after 48A.

As others have said, older Model S and X cars (I believe those prior to 2018) had an optional second internal charger that allowed the car to charge up to 72A on an 80A circuit which can net ~50-53 miles per hour as opposed to ~30 on a 60A circuit.

The chart is showing the max rate a current Tesla can charge which is why the numbers don't change after 48A.
Yes mine had the second internal charger. They made it free while my car was already ordered and they would not change it. Oh well, fun times.