TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why is the Tesla so loud when it's parked? Air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by frank69, Aug 26, 2018.

1. frank69

frank69 Member

So I haven't driven my Tesla in 4-5 hours and it is sitting in my driveway. I happened to open the door and I can hear that it is making a loud noise. I think it's the air conditioning....

1) why is it so loud
    2) Is this because I have the air conditioning in some sort of auto mode even though I'm not near the car, nor my phone is not near it?

2. PLUGZIN

PLUGZIN Member

If you have the climate system in Auto mode; then anytime you open the door the vehicle "starts" and the climate system starts up too.

As far as the noise; that's just the electric compressor and electric fan -- noises you wouldn't hear if the car was an ICE vehicle as the engine noise would be louder than the climate system.

If your climate system is on without either opening the doors or starting it remotely from app - then perhaps a visit to the Service Center is in order.

3. Fobble

Fobble Member

Air conditioning from other ICE cars is also loud, just that you never heard when you are outside of those cars because they do not have the pre-conditioning feature. Tesla may be a tad louder ....

4. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Also battery cooling on warm days when parked. Can be quite loud. Same as on Model S.

A pain ... but one of the reasons that degradation is so minimal!

5. frank69

frank69 Member

SO i just walked outside to my car again...It's making a loud noise like something blowing. I haven't even driven it today. I went inside, the air conditioning wasn't on...then the loud noise stopped... Can someone tell me what this is?

6. Matt L

Matt L Member

What’s the outside temp?

7. frank69

frank69 Member

It's about 80, but it's full sun and inside the car it says its 92.

It's not that it makes a slight whirly fan sound...rather, it's really loud like you can hear it 50 feet away

8. Matt L

Matt L Member

Mine has never done that but I assume it’s a cooling fan of some sort.

9. frank69

frank69 Member

Funny thing is that I haven't driven it today at it's 12:30pm I've been at home all day. The car is just sitting in the driveway in the sun.

10. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

Mine is really quiet, even when I cool down the car. You might want to have that checked.

11. frank69

frank69 Member

Ya. pretty dumb. Basically, car has been sitting outside and NOT driven at all today and it has this fan blowing really loudly. So loud that the neighbors can hear it and asked why my car has been on so long.

12. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Maybe its the computing/control unit fans. Per P111 and P116 of the manual:
    upload_2018-8-26_14-3-34.png
    upload_2018-8-26_14-4-1.png

13. KenF

KenF Member

This sounds like the battery cooling fan (which can be pretty loud).

Do you have a dark colored Tesla? If so, how hot is the hood? If it's hot to the touch, that may explain the battery cooling.

14. frank69

frank69 Member

Yes. I have the metallic black. And it is hot to the touch...Are you saying all Tesla's are that loud in the sun. It hasn't been driven today. Just sitting outside.

15. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

16. KenF

KenF Member

#16 KenF, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    I am going to assume that you already disabled cabin overheat protection (if not, do that now under Controls > Safety & Security). This is the option that keeps the inside of the car below a certain temperature after you exit.

I suspect it is the combination of both of the following: (a) the car is running tests or recharging the 12V battery and (b) you have a metallic black car that is sitting out in the sun in 80 degree weather. Normally, battery cooling shouldn't be necessary when running the tests or recharging the 12V battery, but you have a black car sitting out in the sun. If you had a white or silver Model 3, or your car was sitting in the shade, I doubt the fan would be on. The fan should turn off when the Tesla finishes whatever it is doing.

Edit: Also, if you installed third-party apps for your Tesla, get rid of them.

17. frank69

frank69 Member

I read this post. ...the funny thing is that you can't go hiking or camping for a couple of days on a full charge because your battery can run out if it's a little hot out there and your batter fan stays on? Seems kinda odd to me. Anyways, those posts were from a couple of months ago. You don't think have fixed it by now with a firmware and others would notice the same.

18. KenF

KenF Member

Tesla has greatly reduced battery drain with recent software updates.

19. frank69

frank69 Member

Ok. So here is the deal. They said it's the condenser fan is being overly active when it shouldn't with the temperature.

I'm surprised others haven't experienced it.

Anyways, they said there will be a firmware upgrade in the middle of September

• Informative x 2