Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the warranty limited to 50K miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, seems in the UK we get better warranties than you folks in the US!

So all that is happening is that Tesla are applying US style warranties internationally without regard to local competition.
Still a significant disadvantage here though :(
Email Tesla. This policy could change for you if it doesn't meet the local standard. Maybe they are weary of limo services and have a limited ability to restrict those in the UK. Given the free fueling (or nearly free depending), the high mileage limo/taxi world could bring a hurt to Tesla in warranty claims.
@thegruf - Please do contact Tesla to share this info with them.

I agree with the OP that Tesla should extend the warranty on the entire vehicle. This notion that the car will somehow require less maintenance than all other cars is completely unproven. Most of the fleet is still under warranty and there a lot of parts where the expected life, as Tesla sees it, is unknown. True, it would cost Tesla money, but they also have a lot to gain by making the brand standout -- even more than it already does.

I have the extended warranty, but there hasn't been much discussion about how it will actually play out since most owners haven't hit 50,000 miles yet. In addition, I expect that Tesla will actually provide a fair amount of goodwill fixes when the warranty expires, which may be a great outcome. Unfortunately, hit or miss application of goodwill fixes will undoubtedly create significant dissatisfaction for those folks that are not extended the goodwill for whatever reason.

Regardless, it's tough be in Tesla's shoes because everything it does, in every market, is so closely scrutinized. Thus, even if it decided to offer unlimited warranties in the UK, the outcry in the US and elsewhere would be very unpleasant.

However the wider point remains valid, with the wearable parts (drivetrain) covered with the excellent 8yr/UL warranty, why mileage restrict the remaining warranty.= for parts that are primarily going to show age related defects.
The 'Why?' should be pretty obvious, I think: Tesla Motors' lawyers and accountants insisted there must be a limit on the bumper-to-bumper warranty. In practice, I doubt that the Service Centers will strictly observe those limits for cars purchased during the first four years of the Model S. That is, unless there is obvious abuse, or the owner acts like a [FARGIN' BASTIDGE ICEHOLE] -- mileage will be ignored for up to two years after the warranty has expired in regard to items that would have been warranty issues if discovered sooner. I believe that Tesla puts high priority on 'good will' repairs, even if they could technically charge for the work done.

The 'Why?' should be pretty obvious, I think: Tesla Motors' lawyers and accountants insisted there must be a limit on the bumper-to-bumper warranty. In practice, I doubt that the Service Centers will strictly observe those limits for cars purchased during the first four years of the Model S. That is, unless there is obvious abuse, or the owner acts like a [FARGIN' BASTIDGE ICEHOLE] -- mileage will be ignored for up to two years after the warranty has expired in regard to items that would have been warranty issues if discovered sooner. I believe that Tesla puts high priority on 'good will' repairs, even if they could technically charge for the work done.

That's not true bc I've only had my car 2 yrs and there was one or two things I asked to get looked at/fixed but was told I was out of warranty and I'd have to pay. TSB's are only applied while under warranty. You want them after warranty expires you have to pay for it.

One point in the OP bugged me. Tesla doesn't say you have to only do work at Tesla SC. I have official word from the head of bodywork and repair from Tesla that any bolt-on components can be rplaced by anyone. As long as it's not electrical or deivetrain you can service/repair the car at any workshop. Which was very useul as for me at the time the closest Tesla SC was >2000 km away. Now it's still a night ferry both ways away, but during summer it'll be a ferry of couple hours. No SC planned here before end of 2016. So warranty validity and repairs were an important topic that I did investigate prior to purchase in 2013.

Tesla should be better than the rest and best-in-class. A car of this caliber should come with a standard 8 year, 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would happily give up the 8 year "unlimited mile" drivetrain and battery warranties to get a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper.