Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is there no option for yearly (or lifetime) subscription to Premium Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jlv1

Twice as much fun
Oct 14, 2015
Central MA
3 weeks ago my credit card # was stolen. My CC company overnighted me a new one. I immediately updated everything that used that credit card, including my Tesla account, since my Model X needs the $9.99 monthly subscription to keep premium connectively (thankfully my Model S predates that nonsense).

3 weeks later we are on vacation. This morning I got email saying "There was an issue processing your payment for your Premium Connectivity subscription. To keep enjoying your subscription, update your payment method on file and resubscribe." I don't know what the problem is, because the CC number on file is correct. I deleted and re-added it anyway (and the number comes from Google Pay autofill). We get in the car and it's already disabled premium connectively, which means navigation and live-traffic visualization are already disabled.

There's no reason for the payment to have failed, *and* there's no grace period at all? Very not cool Tesla.

Of course I can't get ahold of anyone to get them to fix this. :mad:

Just give me a yearly option (even if it's for $120/yr at no discount). Having this need to charged on a monthly basis is ridiculous for a car that costs this much.

I had to call them. The credit card number listed in your account is separate from the credit card number used for Premium Connectivity. You have to go into "Manage" on the car and then resubscribe to Premium Connectivity. When I did, it failed since it still had my old credit card number even though I'd deleted it from my account. I had to manually select the new number after the failure and then it worked.

What a botched system. Really, they need to give us a way to do this once a year (or once period).

Most services are monthly (cloud computing, music, phone, etc). Each month I get a list of emails saying they charge my CCs. I suppose this lets them cut off service easier in the event of a stolen CC. Also, it makes it cleaner if you want to terminate the service early rather than having to refund charges.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert