Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is using gas not looked at as a grid usage?

CrazyRabbit

Apr 21, 2020
Fort Worth TX
my house is all electric, and net metering (only net per month) cost me 10 bucks per month, and i sized my system for summer/winter loads which means i will be donating electric to my co-op. i can live with that. i plan on getting a heat pump hot water heater to help keep my powerwalls cozy in the summer months (my garage gets hot in summer). i kind of wish tesla had a external cooling loop connected to a heat pump to extend battery longevity.

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks Nevada / GF 1
So the engineer in my just wonders why so many seem to say they are off grid when they are using gas to warm their homes, or even gas dryers.
It's an interesting point you make. I guess folks have a different meaning. I think about my friend up deep in the Alaskan bush whom says none of us are off the grid. Makes his own electricity, heat, water, and manages his own sewage needs. If I tell him I am off the grid, he is just going to laugh at me. :)

Reactions: mspohr

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
It's an interesting point you make. I guess folks have a different meaning. I think about my friend up deep in the Alaskan bush whom says none of us are off the grid. Makes his own electricity, heat, water, and manages his own sewage needs. If I tell him I am off the grid, he is just going to laugh at me. :)
Yep, all relative

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
A lot of boats say they are off grid since they're not connected but they have tanks of diesel, gasoline, propane, water, etc. and have to stop and connect to refill everything.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC