Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is X Plaid not faster than X ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
With introduction of Plaid, Model S went 0-60 from 2.4 to 1.99 and top speed went from 163 to 200. Massive improvement.
X 0-60 went from 2.6 to 2.5 so almost unchanged. Too speed stayed unchanged at 163.
Does anyone know why X didn’t get the performance improvements that the S did?

oRehwD3.jpg

My Oct 2016 MX P100D w/Lud boasted 2.3 0-60 when new.

That's surprising to me, I always thought the 0-60 was advertised as 2.6 or 2.7. Also the fastest X 0-60 time listed on the historical Dragy leaderboards is 2.7 (2.5 w/o the 1' rollout) so that claimed 2.3 time doesn't really check out.

The real star of the show however isn't the 0-60 it's the 1/4 mile time improvement which is listed as 9.9 which is a testament to the high speed improvements from integrating 3/Y motor tech, improved rotors, the heat pump and improved cell chemistry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle and byeLT4
My Oct 2016 MX P100D w/Lud boasted 2.3 0-60 when new. Never actually clocked it, but I'm happy with its acceleration. Top speed only 155 though. I like the Plaid MS going to 200 top speed. Might be in my future as a second car...

The fastest Tesla Model S 0-60 time on dragy, and by any car magazine, is 2.4x.

Your Model X was never 2.3.

The fastest Model X on Dragy is 2.76 and 2.84.

That's surprising to me, I always thought the 0-60 was advertised as 2.6 or 2.7. Also the fastest X 0-60 time listed on the historical Dragy leaderboards is 2.7 (2.5 w/o the 1' rollout) so that claimed 2.3 time doesn't really check out.

The real star of the show however isn't the 0-60 it's the 1/4 mile time improvement which is listed as 9.9 which is a testament to the high speed improvements from integrating 3/Y motor tech, improved rotors, the heat pump and improved cell chemistry.
True about quarter mile time. 9 and 9.9 for S and X seems proportional to their weights. A good indicator that they both got the full plaid treatment, even though you wouldn’t believe it by watching the 0-60 and top speed numbers.

Believe it or not, after almost a full year of ownership, I haven't even tried launch mode yet. I have certainly been on the floor in ludicrous mode against various ICE owners who think they have a fast car only to learn Tesla is superior, but never from the takeoff. One of these days...

I think it's way cooler that you do not need to use launch mode. If you use it, others can see it from outside (the car jolts and squats) and your challengers might subvert to turtle start instead. For example, the Tesla Racing Channel mostly cannot use the launch mode in street races because it's too slow to engage.

These are incremental improvements (and I'm overjoyed by the changes). Looking forward to stepping into a 2022 X when my current 2019 lease expires. The 2.5 sec 0-60 time may not seem like a big improvement (from 2.9 or 2.6) but remember we're talking about a big vehicle that seats seven (comfortably) weighing more than 5000 pounds sprinting to 60 MPH from a standstill in what is now 2.5 seconds. Mind boggling. It's crazy fast when you think of the sheer heft of the vehicle. Faster than any other SUV, and faster than a hell of a lot of supercars too. And to think those sprint times will be repeatable due to the new battery architecture -- I'm loving this!