Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't heated steering wheel setting persistent like heated seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I wish the heated steering wheel had a low setting, or something like that. It gets a bit too hot for my taste, so I'm always turning it off and on.

The good thing about it is that it sometimes causes me to put my hands on the wheel when using autopilot-- just to warm them up!

This is what happens when you go tell the intern to do the heated steering wheel button. They do the task, don't think about how it fits into the whole picture.

They should both turn on during preconditioning too, which they do not.
The heated steering wheel feature is definitely hidden far too deeply, but this could readily be solved when conditions require. There is an interior temperature sensor. If the interior temperature is below, say, 5 degrees C, the icon for the heated steering wheel would appear at the bottom of the touch screen just above the left heated seat icon. This would make this icon immediately available only when needed--out of mind in warm weather and southern climes, and right where you want it (and EXPECT it) for those of us blessed with real winters.

Reactions: GSP
The heated steering wheel feature is definitely hidden far too deeply, but this could readily be solved when conditions require. There is an interior temperature sensor. If the interior temperature is below, say, 5 degrees C, the icon for the heated steering wheel would appear at the bottom of the touch screen just above the left heated seat icon. This would make this icon immediately available only when needed--out of mind in warm weather and southern climes, and right where you want it (and EXPECT it) for those of us blessed with real winters.

There are lots of clever things that could be done. Will Tesla do it? :confused:

If the interior temperature is below, say, 5 degrees C, the icon for the heated steering wheel would appear at the bottom of the touch screen just above the left heated seat icon. This would make this icon immediately available only when needed
Neat idea, this or something like it is fine with me.

But when it's cold here it's cold, so persistent like the seat heaters works for me too. I don't plan on driving my Model S without the steering wheel heater until May or June around here :wink: And some nights after then.

Amazing how quickly I got used to having this, my P85+ loaner had Subzero and I wasn't aware of how recent an addition it was to that.

Gotta wonder if Mercedes played an inside joke by not providing this capability... or if Tesla never asked for it with the whole California thing.

Please Tesla...

1) add heated steering wheel to App, persist on option
2) allow option to replace defroster button with steering wheel (use it way more than defrost)
3) allow for "persist on" like seats

Well, we have a major app update in December per Elon. Most of us are hopping they add the cold weather package functionality along with defrost of seats/steering to it as well. That seems like the most missing functionality everyone cares about the most.

Well, we have a major app update in December per Elon. Most of us are hopping they add the cold weather package functionality along with defrost of seats/steering to it as well. That seems like the most missing functionality everyone cares about the most.

Extremely unlikely. Cold weather is not on their radar. It's been this way for years.

Complain to your service advisor. If they hear enough of it they may escalate.

omg I can't believe Tesla hasn't realized this.

if the new APP update doesn't include more climate options - at least rear window defrost - i'm seriously going to do some serious research about this (seiously), and hack both my APP and my tesla and make these options available for my self! It's completely unacceptable that my car won't let me control this from my APP! Not saying it's because of all the dead presidents I bled for this vehicle or because Tesla is a tech company, but because this is so obvious that it should be available on ALL cars with some form of remote climate controls - including my wifes Leaf!

In conclusion: The APP upgrade should include ALL the climate functions, and ALL the cold weather features, not withstanding that these are optional features, and tesla therefore maybe needs to develop an app that's not the same for all.

Amd that's all I have to say about that

• Informative
Reactions: AWDtsla
Do we really need to make people act like thermostats?
The logic of a heated "anything" is usually set-point and thermostatically controlled.
The default heated steering wheel, if turned on, is to keep the wheel at a warm grip temp. (You set the temp once and forget it).

My 30 year old Mercedes has heated mirrors option, and they absolutely nailed it back then! I LOVE THE WAY it's implemented. Should still be this way today. The manual says something like, "when it's cold outside they are automatically on". Simple. No control button or indicator of any kind required. No wasted words, or anything to be concerned about. Go Germans!

We don't need all the minutia of ON/OFF controls from the App...

What we need is a button "get the car ready to drive in 10 (slider) minutes".
..and then the car goes into action, doing a "macro of things" carried out on your behalf.
  • If the car is plugged in, and below its charge limit... start a charge cycle topping up the battery.
  • If the car interior is not at "room temperature" turn on HVAC to room temperature.
  • If it's "cold outside", then turn on the heated steering wheel to get to a warm grip temp
  • If you have a entry/exit profile ... select that profile to get the seat & wheel ready for entry
  • If you have winter package and it's below freezing outside, turn on the nozzle heaters
  • If you have heated mirrors, turn them on...
  • Turn the stereo volume down to 3....
whatever... do it all!! Why make a user peck away at 20 features? When it's all defined by a mode.

How about another button on the App, "secure the car"?
  • All windows roll up, anti-pinch sensing of course
  • Pano roof closes
  • DVR recording from 360 view cameras turns on
  • Alarm on
  • Handles retracted if they weren't already
  • All interior lighting stays off
  • Wifi powered off
  • Bluetooth powered off
  • De-permit or further delay any scheduled OTA install

omg I can't believe Tesla hasn't realized this.

if the new APP update doesn't include more climate options - at least rear window defrost - i'm seriously going to do some serious research about this (seiously), and hack both my APP and my tesla and make these options available for my self! It's completely unacceptable that my car won't let me control this from my APP! Not saying it's because of all the dead presidents I bled for this vehicle or because Tesla is a tech company, but because this is so obvious that it should be available on ALL cars with some form of remote climate controls - including my wifes Leaf!

In conclusion: The APP upgrade should include ALL the climate functions, and ALL the cold weather features, not withstanding that these are optional features, and tesla therefore maybe needs to develop an app that's not the same for all.

Amd that's all I have to say about that

Agree, the API doesn't seem to support this yet, so they actually have to update the App, car software, and potentially their API that is still "unofficially" available but used. If they add it there you could do it separately in your own code easily, it'll get added to Remote S, or other options likely also.

Can you pre-heat the steering wheel along with the rest of the car's interior from the iphone app? My car doesn't have the cold weather package but I'm considering it for the next one. I'm in a northern state on business right now and every time I get in my rental car my hands practically freeze on the steering wheel of the car until the interior heats up.

Can you pre-heat the steering wheel along with the rest of the car's interior from the iphone app? My car doesn't have the cold weather package but I'm considering it for the next one. I'm in a northern state on business right now and every time I get in my rental car my hands practically freeze on the steering wheel of the car until the interior heats up.

NO

Well that's really freakin' stupid. With autopilot and now at some point full self driving - you won't need to spend much time with your hands on the wheel anyway except at the beginning of a drive - thus if you can't pre-heat the wheel there isn't much point to it.
Could say the same about many features. For example, pre-cooling the cabin is nice, but pre-heating it is pretty dumb. Massive consumption, and you lose most of that heat when you are entering the car, especially if you have a passengers opening multiple doors at the same time. Yet the heated seats don't turn on remotely. Now you're sitting on a freezing cold seat. I'd say forget cabin pre-heat entirely, and just turn on the seat/wheel heaters.

Could say the same about many features. For example, pre-cooling the cabin is nice, but pre-heating it is pretty dumb. Massive consumption, and you lose most of that heat when you are entering the car, especially if you have a passengers opening multiple doors at the same time. Yet the heated seats don't turn on remotely. Now you're sitting on a freezing cold seat. I'd say forget cabin pre-heat entirely, and just turn on the seat/wheel heaters.

You sir, are clearly some kind of hardy, cold-immune penguin from a northern clime. I am a Californian currently in Wisconsin on business - for perhaps the rest of the winter. It was down to roughly 15 degrees fahrenheit a couple weeks ago during a cold snap. Every morning I traipsed to the rental car from the motel and turned on the engine to warm the interior before driving. Massive waste of energy? I don't give a crap - it made the car quite pleasant to be in vs occupying a meat locker for the first five minutes and being forced to keep my down puffie on while driving - then overheating five minutes later and trying to wrestle the jacket off while bombing down the highway.

And you certainly don't lose most of the heat in a cabin when opening the door to get in it for a couple seconds.

I also pre-cool the Tesla from my phone every time I drive during the summer in California. Maybe I'm a wimp but it keeps me from sweating during the first few minutes. Interior temps over 100 degrees take several minutes to get down to a pleasant range.

Reactions: mmccord