Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't it a hatchback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it a sedan? The model S is a hatchback and the overall aesthetic is the same but the S has more utility in that sense. Also, it has a better drag coefficient now than the 3 so I literally just don't understand why it isn't a hatchback.

Doesn't need to have that design that creates a low pressure behind the entire back of the car. Just don't know why the S has a hatch and the 3 doesn't.

Anyone know?

Why is it a sedan? The model S is a hatchback and the overall aesthetic is the same but the S has more utility in that sense. Also, it has a better drag coefficient now than the 3 so I literally just don't understand why it isn't a hatchback.

Doesn't need to have that design that creates a low pressure behind the entire back of the car. Just don't know why the S has a hatch and the 3 doesn't.

Anyone know?
Because then it would be a Y. :cool:

Because then it would be a Y. :cool:
Yup. A Y with more range, softer ride, smaller wheels, less weight, lower drag, faster acceleration and better handling. The trunk is literally the only thing differentiating one from the other.

I should think before posting such crazy ideas, huh?

Thanks for bringing this useful conclusion to my question.

I really wish it was a hatch. Probably weekly, and every time I have to load something bulky in the back (or consider camping in it). Especially coming from an A4 Avant. But, it’s not. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I feel like it could be without much change because the S is. Maybe it has something to do with the supports but I'm not sure.

Very curious, a solid answer would be awesome. I wanna give Tesla benefit of doubt but I just can't wrap my head around why it isn't when the S is. The S came first, too.

A 2-door hatchback would be nice.
Like a really compact Tesla? I suppose that's coming. I think that might be less popular here but I think hatchbacks overall do fine. The S is one for God's sake and the reason it isn't "popular" is because it's really expensive.

You see hatchbacks all the time. Every subaru. Every Prius. Lots of mazdas. Every SUV (although I know that's not quite the same)

Reactions: beachmiles
They wanted rear head room and visibility in the 3 so they put the rear support member behind the back seats meaning that they couldn't have a hinge point for a hatch. The S and Y sacrifice both rear visibility and some headroom (tall people notice it most) for the higher support member/hinge option.

I, too, was expecting the hatch design to continue through the entire family and was very nervous after making my pre-reveal deposit. Since delivery, however, I've discovered that I can fit my string bass through the 60/40 split seats, can get my bicycle in if I remove the front wheel (not ideal), and can car camp (I'm 6'3") even sleeping on my side with a 3" mattress.

As much as the hatch on the Y appeals, I don't care for the crossover look and size (even though it's subtle). I've driven a loaner S since getting used to my 3 and have to say that, despite it being a beautiful car with a great hatch, the rear visibility and back seat head room definitely suffers.

The problem is that with the current design, the hatchback would need a roof support near the back that would cut down on rear head room and/or alter the glass roof design. Rather than redesign the car for better utility, they kept their "better looking" design.

That's in quotes because looks are subjective. Certainly they could have spent the time, and come up with a creative design solution that would be a win-win, but the designer chose not to. So now we live with the more inconvenient trunk access.

This is similar to the front license plate design. In the US, at least, they have a front license plate holder that mounts with double-stick tape. That's not much better than using Tesla bubble gum. Rather than design a front end that integrates better with a license plate holder (like everyone else), the designer stuck to their guns and did not want to mess up their "beautiful" design. So we are left with third party contraptions or stickers, etc.

The upcoming $25K, model 2, will have a hatch though. Otherwise, it won't sell very well.