Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't it a hatchback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably because they anticipated sales first from North America, where buying public is largely allergic to hatchbacks.

The S is a fastback/sportback which is more palatable to that audience, a la Audi 5/7 Mercedes 4dr GT Porsche Panamera...

...a true wagon or hatchback breadbox isnt the flavor du jour, although personally i would prefer it

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Probably because they anticipated sales first from North America, where buying public is largely allergic to hatchbacks.

The S is a fastback/sportback which is more palatable to that audience, a la Audi 5/7 Mercedes 4dr GT Porsche Panamera...

...a true wagon or hatchback breadbox isnt the flavor du jour, although personally i would prefer it
Sportback, that's the word I was looking for. Better drag this way too but the tall low pressure area of a standard hatchback look is definitely not ideal for range. I think the sportback takes the look we like and the functionality too but at the compromise of headroom in the back. Most of which won't notice since most people aren't over 6' tall, but I am. Yet I'm never back there.