Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't it a hatchback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it a sedan? The model S is a hatchback and the overall aesthetic is the same but the S has more utility in that sense. Also, it has a better drag coefficient now than the 3 so I literally just don't understand why it isn't a hatchback.

Doesn't need to have that design that creates a low pressure behind the entire back of the car. Just don't know why the S has a hatch and the 3 doesn't.

Anyone know?

Probably because of the fact that others mentioned, that the hatchback design in some other vehicles has less headroom. The BMW 3 series is a sedan, and the 4 series is a hatchback, and the 4 series has a LOT less room in the back (but is more functional because of the hatchback design. If tesla offered both a hatchback and non hatchback model 3, I would have bought the hatchback. They didnt though, and I dont particularly like the look of the model Y so wouldnt get one just because it has a hatchback.

With all that being said "why isnt it XXX" is sort of like asking....."why are there oreos thins, regular and doublestuff?" (or any other question related to a manufacturer making a design decision).

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Like a really compact Tesla? I suppose that's coming. I think that might be less popular here but I think hatchbacks overall do fine. The S is one for God's sake and the reason it isn't "popular" is because it's really expensive.

You see hatchbacks all the time. Every subaru. Every Prius. Lots of mazdas. Every SUV (although I know that's not quite the same)

I love hatchbacks. If they ever offer it as an option for the 3, I think it would be a winner. More compact and lighter with the same amount of power.

Reactions: beachmiles
A 2-door hatchback would be nice.
Like a really compact Tesla? I suppose that's coming. I think that might be less popular here but I think hatchbacks overall do fine. The S is one for God's sake and the reason it isn't "popular" is because it's really expensive.

You see hatchbacks all the time. Every subaru. Every Prius. Lots of mazdas. Every SUV (although I know that's not quite the same)
They wanted rear head room and visibility in the 3 so they put the rear support member behind the back seats meaning that they couldn't have a hinge point for a hatch. The S and Y sacrifice both rear visibility and some headroom (tall people notice it most) for the higher support member/hinge option.

I, too, was expecting the hatch design to continue through the entire family and was very nervous after making my pre-reveal deposit. Since delivery, however, I've discovered that I can fit my string bass through the 60/40 split seats, can get my bicycle in if I remove the front wheel (not ideal), and can car camp (I'm 6'3") even sleeping on my side with a 3" mattress.

As much as the hatch on the Y appeals, I don't care for the crossover look and size (even though it's subtle). I've driven a loaner S since getting used to my 3 and have to say that, despite it being a beautiful car with a great hatch, the rear visibility and back seat head room definitely suffers.
The best answer! Thank you. I appreciate you so much, good sir. We're the same height so I also like what you say about sleeping in it. If you can, I probably can too.

The problem is that with the current design, the hatchback would need a roof support near the back that would cut down on rear head room and/or alter the glass roof design. Rather than redesign the car for better utility, they kept their "better looking" design.

That's in quotes because looks are subjective. Certainly they could have spent the time, and come up with a creative design solution that would be a win-win, but the designer chose not to. So now we live with the more inconvenient trunk access.

This is similar to the front license plate design. In the US, at least, they have a front license plate holder that mounts with double-stick tape. That's not much better than using Tesla bubble gum. Rather than design a front end that integrates better with a license plate holder (like everyone else), the designer stuck to their guns and did not want to mess up their "beautiful" design. So we are left with third party contraptions or stickers, etc.

The upcoming $25K, model 2, will have a hatch though. Otherwise, it won't sell very well.
Kinda wish we didn't need front plates in Cali. Ruins the look on front end tbh. Like more than it would most cars.

Why is it a sedan? The model S is a hatchback and the overall aesthetic is the same but the S has more utility in that sense. Also, it has a better drag coefficient now than the 3 so I literally just don't understand why it isn't a hatchback.

Doesn't need to have that design that creates a low pressure behind the entire back of the car. Just don't know why the S has a hatch and the 3 doesn't.

Anyone know?
I remember when Model 3 was unveiled this was discussed. It's because of rear headroom. Back then, Model S's biggest complaint was the rear headroom (even though it was larger car), and the rear beam for the hatch is a big contributor, as it's right where your head would be. A major concern was if the design was kept largely the same, the Model 3 would be even worse for rear headroom.

Model 3 instead uses an airy rear glass design there that gives better rear headroom. There's also the fact hatchbacks (which are not CUVs) are less popular in the USA, its initial and one of its biggest market. The Model Y is pretty much the version that would satisfy those looking for a hatch and is in the more popular CUV market.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Thanks all for the insightful answers! I'm very satisfied with the responses regarding the support beam locations dictating design elements I never considered. Because why would the trunk affect what support beams are needed overhead? Now, that's a rhetorical question, thanks to those who actually had something of value for the question I asked. I see it now and it all makes perfect sense.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed in how many intentionally lazy and completely useless answers were made with the intention to either try to be funny/cheeky (and failing) or just disrespect the question all together.

I had the impression that the Tesla community was going to be more intellectual and engaging so for those of you that were, thank you!

It's not so much that I'm upset as I am just surprised that people would put any time into a completely useless answer that also isn't funny at all. It's so lazy and boring.

But that's a topic for another thread. See y'all there 😁

And hey, now I understand why it is the way it is and maybe all of those who have stupid answers know now as well.

Gotta stay positive in these times and find that silver lining.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thanks all for the insightful answers! I'm very satisfied with the responses regarding the support beam locations dictating design elements I never considered. Because why would the trunk affect what support beams are needed overhead? Now, that's a rhetorical question, thanks to those who actually had something of value for the question I asked. I see it now and it all makes perfect sense.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed in how many intentionally lazy and completely useless answers were made with the intention to either try to be funny/cheeky (and failing) or just disrespect the question all together.

I had the impression that the Tesla community was going to be more intellectual and engaging so for those of you that were, thank you!

It's not so much that I'm upset as I am just surprised that people would put any time into a completely useless answer that also isn't funny at all. It's so lazy and boring.

But that's a topic for another thread. See y'all there 😁

And hey, now I understand why it is the way it is and maybe all of those who have stupid answers know now as well.

Gotta stay positive in these times and find that silver lining.

i might add here too that in the 3 you are sat in a position suitable for a middle eastern toilet so if you would have a beam there noone above 175cm could sit in the rear. In the Model S and Y there is slightly more space to the front seats and the seating position is more relaxed (and yet tall people still struggle to sit in the S because of this but seem to be fine with the 3 - at slight cost of comfort).

Anyone know?
I really wished the Model 3 was a small version of the Model S. The interior could be the same as the Model 3 but the body I prefer the Model S, just smaller.

Oh no: FAR from "everyone else"
I actually don't think a majority would want that. Smaller? I think that's debatable but specifically the functionality of the hatchback, I think more would want. But since it means some differences regarding rear headroom and such, I can see some preferring a standard trunk.

I mostly just didn't understand why the 3 wasn't a hatchback because the way it is designed from the outside looked it should be. And the fact the S was and 3 wasn't just confused me.

Now, I get it.

The Y just superficially looks similar to the 3. its a different car. for one its much bigger (like lenghtwise it increases in lenght more than a 3 to 5 series i think), but the Y is also an SUV.
.. have you compared the specs on a 3 and a Y?

IMO a Y is a 3 inch taller 3 with risers under the seats (mostly). Yes It is much more effective at the Starbucks drive-up wind ordering a venti, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter non-fat, extra hot, split quad shots (1 1/2 shots decaf, 2 1/2 shots regular), no foam latte, with whip, 2 packets of splenda, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon though ;-) . I think it's all of 2 inches longer and 1 inch wider, and some of that me be the requisite ruggedizing offroad plastic that was put in the wheel wells.

a different car it is not - it was made for a market and it serves that well.

In short if you value a hatchback, high seating and bunker-slit rear visibility- the Y is is very similar to the 3 and caters to stowage. I cannot imagine the 3 with the roof pillar where the Y is - it would kill out from a rear passenger perspective.

Last edited:

IMO a Y is a 3 inch taller 3 with risers under the seats (mostly). Yes It is much more effective at the Starbucks drive-up wind ordering a venti, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter non-fat, extra hot, split quad shots (1 1/2 shots decaf, 2 1/2 shots regular), no foam latte, with whip, 2 packets of splenda, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon though ;-) . I think it's all of 2 inches longer and 1 inch wider, and some of that me be the requisite ruggedizing offroad plastic that was put in the wheel wells.

In short if you value a hatchback, high seating and bunker-slit rear visibility- the Y is is very similar to the 3 and caters to stowage. I cannot imagine the 3 with the roof pillar where the Y is - it would kill out from a rear passenger perspective.
I have compared obsessively. I prefer the 3.

Afaik the rear passengers have like 6 or 7cm more legroom in the Y.