Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't Tesla designing a van for Europe? Seems to be a no brainer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some points I'd like to make:

• The shape of vans are well suited to battery packs.
  • Titanic potential market in Europe.
  • The cost and range has kind of been proved practical due to the Semi and it's pricing.
  • Work vans are far better suited for promotion to fleet managers.
  • If not vans, how is it that pickups are a proposition then?
  • Tesla needs vans for service.
  • The Tilburg plant or a partner such as Magna could be utilised to supply these vehicles.

I seriously don't understand why Elon/Tesla hasn't considered the idea.

Are they rare in USA and South Africa or something?

I think that EM is not only seriously considering but planning for the idea. The problem right now is that they are having trouble meeting current demand without creating even more demand! It will happen, just be patient. I think it is really going to be ironic when the European manufacturers introduce their "TESLA killers" into the the US market in 2 or 3 years that TESLA will introduce the Model Y/Van into the European market at the same time. Checkmate! :D

Last edited:
It sort of weirds me out that they would consider a pickup before hand. I know they're popular in the States, but it's still a far worse choice of vehicle over a van, surely.

I think it’s because the most popular pickup in the US sells more than 800k units annually, while the most popular van sells less than 200k. I’m sure the numbers are very different in the rest of the world, but you gotta start somewhere.

I expect that whenever Tesla announces a European gigafactory, they’ll announce a van shortly thereafter.

Since the core of Tesla's manufacturing is in the United States, that market naturally gets a higher preference. Minimal cost to distribute goods on demand. Once there is a Giga Factory in Europe, Tesla will likely produce vehicles that correspond with the local market.

I think it's because they would loose money on selling vans right now. Model S and X are expensive and people are willing to pay much for these cars because of their luxury and comfort. Most people will probably not pay >100 000$ for a van.

Model 3 is their first cheap car with high range. Once it starts going and the production goes well, it makes sense to produce other cheap cars such as vans using that experience.

Reactions: GSP and Brando
I think it's because they would loose money on selling vans right now. Model S and X are expensive and people are willing to pay much for these cars because of their luxury and comfort. Most people will probably not pay >100 000$ for a van.

Model 3 is their first cheap car with high range. Once it starts going and the production goes well, it makes sense to produce other cheap cars such as vans using that experience.

Same logic applies to pickup trucks.

Reactions: Brando
Battery technology and availability has to advance before vehicles with horrible aerodynamics like vans and pickups can be feasible. Tremendous battery packs would be needed, and they would be too heavy and expensive right now. The large packs in the Roadster and Semi are a step in the right direction, but still the expense will make an electric van economically crippled.

Teslas are aerodynamic, and that is the only thing that makes them work. Take that away, and the range is reduced so much that they, too are not workable. No vans, no "shooting brake" for a while...

Battery technology and availability has to advance before vehicles with horrible aerodynamics like vans and pickups can be feasible....

....Teslas are aerodynamic, and that is the only thing that makes them work. Take that away, and the range is reduced so much that they, too are not workable. No vans, no "shooting brake" for a while...

And the Tesla Semi isn't feasible?

Have you seen a Euro van?

Same logic applies to pickup trucks.
Indeed. Although they announced a pretty extreme pickup (that can carry another pickup). Consider the pickup the first step in that direction :).

I guess that when showing two other Tesla vehicles that night, they only had to announce one future vehicle. Pickups are pretty normal in America, not so much in Europe. But I'm sure vans built on the same platform as the new pickup will show up too eventually.

I agree, a van is one of the most used and often driven type of cars out there, especially in the cities. It would be a goldmine for post delivery compagnies who their cars drive through the city all day (drive, break, drive, break, drive, brake, all day), just like for electricians, plumbers, name it.
I think it's even handy for cops in some cases, when they have to arrest a few guys.
The speed doesn't even have to be that high, a high range would be nice.
I know an electrician who would love to have an electric car for his work, but at this moment there isn't really one that offers his requirements (he has to pull a trailer and such every once in a while, needs to drive up to 400km a day, despite only 150km on average).

Some points I'd like to make:

• The shape of vans are well suited to battery packs.
  • Titanic potential market in Europe.
  • The cost and range has kind of been proved practical due to the Semi and it's pricing.
  • Work vans are far better suited for promotion to fleet managers.
  • If not vans, how is it that pickups are a proposition then?
  • Tesla needs vans for service.
  • The Tilburg plant or a partner such as Magna could be utilised to supply these vehicles.

Are they rare in USA and South Africa or something?
Batteries are still to expensive. WHEN battery electric motor price closer to ICE, then anyone can build a van. Simple right?
Renault probably will be the first in Europe. Plans for 2020.
Renault Trucks Corporate - Press releases : Renault Trucks presents two major innovations during the COP 21 in Paris

AND 2 - 3 years ahead of schedule we have
Renault Trucks & Groupe Delanchy Unveil All-Electric Refrigerated Box Truck For Produce Deliveries | CleanTechnica

@JKolodziejski You have seen that any new Tesla vehicle sold that is used for commercial purposes isn't allowed to Supercharge right? I would think that puts a dent in things. Not to mention they are manufacturing at capacity now, so they would have to build an entire new line for this, and is the demand really there to support it? Would they not be better of making a CUV or pickup next?

Reactions: cwerdna
any new Tesla vehicle sold that is used for commercial purposes isn't allowed to Supercharge right?

That's long haul though, many light vans must travel < 200 miles in a day. Charge overnight no problem.

Another factor in EU take-up would be the much bigger differential price of Electricity and Petrol, which makes electric fuel a factor in overall pricing.

But, yeh, makes far more sense for Tesla to produce the vehicles that make it the most profit in the short term, and I can't imagine a van-for-EU is up-there. If that van can be built on the M3 footprint then maybe-sometime-soon, others ... not.

Take that pickup, remove the bed, add a box and you have the delivery van :)

For smaller van's just remove the back-interior of the Model X/Y.
European streets are a lot smaller as American ones, you can't even park such a pick up truck in a normal parking spot here. European traffic is also a lot more fast as American traffic. You should search for European persuits, then you'll see the average driving level and speed, even from the random people around, in Europe is much much faster compared to America. The right type of van for Europe is a hell of a lot smaller. Volkswagen could have made an awesome one from their buzz, somehow they seem to have made some kind of hippy thing from it that absolutely isn't usefull as a daily work van for plumbers and electricians.