TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why isn't the frunk power?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SabrToothSqrl, Dec 13, 2016.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Anyone else think they'd get a lot more use out of the frunk if it was power? I can't stand how carefully you have to close it, combined with *gasp* fingerprints on the car!

If I didn't have a power tailgate, I'd cringe.

why isn't the frunk?!

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Cost vs. benefit? The thing is tiny on the refreshed cars/D cars.

I use mine all the time though, so even if it were powered, wouldn't change much.

• Like x 1
  3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I use mine all the time but yeah I'd rather it be powered. Not sure how much weight/cost that would add though.

• Like x 1
  4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

There were a fair number of early cars with a damaged hood if you didn't close it just right (where "right" varied by who you asked and when). At the time I thought that eventually we'd end up with a power hood to match the trunk.

But you're right, the frunk is tiny on the new ones. You could fit a small-to-medium duffel in there, but that's about it. I guess one way to avoid putting in that complexity is to reduce the usefulness of the frunk!

I've been thinking about upgrading, but that's one of the things holding me back. I still use the frunk for a stroller with some frequency. It would suck to lose that space.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That was around the time I got my car, lots of talk about it, I was careful at first. And then eh...

I have in my D-frunk
    -48 small bottles of water (give or take)
    -2 reusable shopping bags
    -120V extension cord
    -adapters for charging
    -tire patch kit, tire gauge, tire tread measurer
    -ice scrapper with snow brush
    -leather conditioner
    -2 rolls of bounty
    -rear sunshade
    -and probably a few things I'm forgetting

It might be small, but it fits a lot of little "things" that would otherwise be rolling around the trunk.

• Like x 2
  6. swaltner

swaltner Member

I suspect there are regulatory reasons for this decision on not having a powered lift on the frunk. Front hoods all have the double-latch mechanism for regulatory reasons (limit chances of hood flying upon at speed and blocking vision). I thought the rule for hood latching mechanisms was written such that one of the latches had to be a manual latch at the hood opening. If you can't have everything be done via an electronic release, there's no real benefit over having a purely manual mechanism, so keep it simply and have it be all manual.

7. animorph

animorph Member

It's a safety regulations thing. Tesla has no choice about it.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

My main use case is when we're on a trip. We have suitcases in the trunk and need the stroller. It fits nicely in the frunk, saving the trunk for our luggage. We have a similar "stuff collection", but it's in the under-trunk area where the rear-facing seats would live if you have that option.

Might be. The law is tricky. IMO you only really need the automatic close, though. Open could still work the way it does today. I guess I feel the opposite: there's no real benefit to have an automatic open if the law states a manual latch is required, and closing itself automatically provides substantial benefit.

• Like x 1
  9. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Soft close should be incorporated.

10. Gig103

Gig103 Member

The posts about regulations make sense. I don't like feeling the flex of the hood as I close it carefully, so I end up having to press twice to get it to latch. And since I have a D, it fits just a few grocery bags at most - it's good for that purpose, items not rolling around and easier to bring items into the house since I pull into my garage. But I still am more likely to use the rear seats than muck about with the latch.

11. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

The dual motor version is very easy to close. I just carefully rest the hood onto the latch and apply a little pressure and you can hear the motor latch it. I recently had a P85+ loaner and tried the frunk. I can see why people are hesitant to use it.