Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't there a Supercharger at Oakville SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im surprised Oakville SC does not have any superchargers. This is a SC where at least 50% of owners on the West side of the GTA pick up their vehicles so I would think they had superchargers built here.

Also noticed this location was newly built sometime in 2016, strange that they wouldn't add superchargers when it was built so recently.

Tesla, it seems, has decided not to place Superchargers at Service Centers any longer. Aside from often not being in locations conducive to travel (although Oakville wouldn't be bad) it causes a lot of congestion at their sites.

That sounds reasonable and I agree that it does cause a lot of congestion as you can see from the Lawrence SC but since there are no other superchargers in the GTA other then Lawrence and the fact that the Oakville SC was built fairly recently, I would have thought that they would place a SC at this location. It is right off of the QEW and a mid point between Toronto and other major cities to the west.

Looks like I will either have to make a trip out the Lawrence just to test supercharging or wait for the Mississauga chargers to be built. Hopefully the website is still correct and they get built by end of the year.

I agree there should be a supercharger here, great stopover point for travelers, but I understand the logistics of not building one. No need to crowd the SC parking lot, and this is not a very popular area in general. As far as I know, Tesla is prioritizing superchargers in high traffic locations like malls, etc.
For what its worth, there is a good old CHAdeMO across the street at the Tim Hortons if I remember correctly.

people visiting Oakville? probably not very helpful if your home is in Vaughn/Pickering/Windsor etc.

Round trip to Oakville from any of those locations should be easily do-able. If Windsor, the Woodstock Supercharger is en route. I guess expectations may be changing, but originally Superchargers were to enable long distance driving along the way, not at either end.

Round trip to Oakville from any of those locations should be easily do-able. If Windsor, the Woodstock Supercharger is en route. I guess expectations may be changing, but originally Superchargers were to enable long distance driving along the way, not at either end.
you're assuming people arrive and leave immediately?

I was referring to someone spending a day in Oakville, or even a few days. If I live 80 kms from oakville and am visiting family (say now, over christmas for a couple of days) having somewhere to charge would be nice. And is. I've recently moved from Oakville and have visited for 2-5 days at a time a few times over the past year.

and...FFS...I was letting people know where a good, free, reliable charger is. Is that not allowed on the forum?

Mknox I assume you didn't read any of the posts above and just posted, which is why you're confused and talking about supercharging. I wasn't in my discussion with Mrplugshare.

Reactions: MarcoRP
you're assuming people arrive and leave immediately?

I was referring to someone spending a day in Oakville, or even a few days. If I live 80 kms from oakville and am visiting family (say now, over christmas for a couple of days) having somewhere to charge would be nice. And is. I've recently moved from Oakville and have visited for 2-5 days at a time a few times over the past year.

No, I was following Tesla's own guidelines that say that Superchargers are meant to enable long distance road travel. Someone visiting and staying for an extended period of time would be fine with L2 or even L1 charging while they are there for their visit.

FYI, I'm currently visiting family in Illinois and used Superchargers all the way here. But I don't rely on them for the period of time I'm in town. It would be very frustrating to find Superchargers clogged up by "locals" when I'm trying to stop for a quick charge along my way to/from my destination.

and...FFS...I was letting people know where a good, free, reliable charger is. Is that not allowed on the forum?

Of course it is, although usually unnecessary with apps like PlugShare available.

Mknox I assume you didn't read any of the posts above and just posted, which is why you're confused and talking about supercharging. I wasn't in my discussion with Mrplugshare.

Nope. I've been following the thread and trying to stay on topic (Why isn't' there a Supercharger at Oakville SC?) As I've said, I think there isn't one because a) Tesla doesn't want Service Centers clogged up with owners charging and b) there really isn't the need for one there (at least until some of the more needed travel routes are filled in).

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric