Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't there storage under the armrests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys sorry but please start a new thread about playing quien es mas macho and needing a firearm with you at all times. Please don't hijack my thread and make it about guns. Thanks.
Don't worry. I'm a woman, not macho, and won't play.

I hope for plenty of storage in my Model X for essentials and I think I'll not be disappointed. Tesla appears to be very consumer oriented.

yes. Many places I go regularly have no cell coverage, and even in my home city a year old paper map is always more up to date for new communities than google maps.

Nothing has made me realize how out of place I am as a young Model S owner than the fact that no one questioned you carrying a paper map. I haven't seen one of those since I was just a kid. I didn't even know they really even made them even more.

Nothing has made me realize how out of place I am as a young Model S owner than the fact that no one questioned you carrying a paper map. I haven't seen one of those since I was just a kid. I didn't even know they really even made them even more.

I still carry paper maps on a road trip, for two reasons: It's nice to have an overall picture of where I'm going, and, most importantly, connections aren't always *robust* in all areas. Yes, sure, maps are stored, you can zoom out, blah blah blah. I know these things. And it's nice to have paper.

Seems a regional thing, but in Canada it's normal at most grocery stores to require a $1 coin (sometimes only a quarter) to use a cart, you get the money back when you return the cart. It reduces the number of shopping carts left scattered all over the parking lot, which the paint on my car is appreciative of.

I'll freely admit that I could cut down some of what I carry, but I think the Tesla is a bit too minimal with it's storage too. There needs to be a compromise. Arm rest storage and door pockets should be more than adequate. (well, and maybe coat hooks)

Same in the UK (£1 coin, though obviously :) )

An alternative is to get a special key fob the same dimensions as the coin.

Shopping Trolley Pound Token With Keyring - Smiley Face Design: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen Home

They are often given away here as promotional items. Maybe as a gesture Tesla should have some T logo ones made to make up for lack of coin storage :D

Shopping Trolley Pound Token With Keyring - Smiley Face Design: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen Home

I know this is veering off topic, but indulge me, please, as I just have to know, and this won't go far, I'm sure.

Leaving aside for the moment the ethics and the legality or lack thereof involved in the above, I don't get it. If you use the smiley face thing instead of a coin in a trolley cart dispenser, you're not going to get it back, right? And isn't the key chain worth more than the coin? So why would one do this?

Perhaps the same 'coin' is in fact returned to you - it's on each cart?

_76175075_lock.jpg

Perhaps the same 'coin' is in fact returned to you - it's on each cart?

Ahhh, now that makes sense.

The systems I've seen like that work differently. I've only seen that kind of system at airports, where you pay, say, $1.00 or $2.00 to "rent" a cart, and then when it is returned the person who returns it gets perhaps $.25 back. The airports do this to encourage people to return carts. I had assumed the grocery cart systems worked in a similar way, but without the profit being built in. The fact that one could get their own coin back was not one I had considered.

Thanks!

Yep pretty much as the picture. The trolleys (carts) are all chained together with the final one being chained to something solid. The coin unlocks the chain that ties it to the cart in front. Only when you reinsert the chain does the coin eject.

I wasn't suggesting some form of scam :D

They are often given away here as promotional items. Maybe as a gesture Tesla should have some T logo ones made to make up for lack of coin storage :D

Same in Germany. All shopping carts have that system. Takes 1 Euro, 50 Eurocents or sometimes even 1 DM coins if one still has them. Or we can use chips like the ones you mentioned made from all kinds of materials. Interestingly, quite a few models of European cars come with dedicated coinholders as standard. Plus cardholders etc. And as for paper maps, many people including myself still use them for the same reasons Bonnie mentioned, even though our satnav systems over here dont need cell coverage as they are based on a combination of gps and maps stored in the system, not needing to constantly try and download Google maps - which are either as out of date as old paper maps or not available in time because of bad cell coverage. Which is a constant nuisance here, especially in a moving vehicle. Therefor sometimes oldfashioned really means more comfort for the user.