TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why July 1st for the free internet connectivity cutoff?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Thomas Edison, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

My theory for why they picked that specific day is because immediately after they are going to announce the 200,000th sale and people are going to be rushing to get their car for the next six months. That with the 5,000+ Units a week means that it's about to get crowded.

2. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

The data plan was the carrot.....

They opened the configurator for all existing US and Canadian reservation holders, and likely converted 10's of 1000's of reservations (refundable $1000 US) into $3500 of non-refundable deposits, which they are allowed to count on their balance sheet as cash on hand.

Tell me again what day Q2 ends? Oh yea........

June 30th. The books will look nice on July 1st. ;)

• Like x 13
    • Helpful x 1
  3. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Yeah, it's not exactly subtle what they're doing. Has a side benefit of being a big fat F You! to the shorts.

• Like x 2
  4. Quesder

Quesder Member

I cannot make decision that soon. I don't know.
    Are they really going to cutoff internet connectivity after July 1st?
    They said no Free Supercharge after Dec 31 2016. But then, you know.
    What do you think?

Also, what is that internet connectivity for? Get Google Maps? Fine.
    Streaming music? Not so useful to me.
    What else?

5. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It’s free lifetime premium connectivity that is cut off.

Paid is 8 bucks a month.

If you can afford Model 3 insurance you can afford the modest data plan.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Remember the long lines when Oprah offered a free KFC grilled chicken meal? ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Quesder

Quesder Member

If I order on July 2, I don't get any connectivity, or I get it for a couple years?

8. cmaster

cmaster Member

Easier to have it done at the beginning of a Quarter.

9. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

There were few posts disproving this theory. This deposit money goes to liability section, it is not a revenue until delivered (per new accounting rules)

10. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

First year is free. After that you'll have to pay for real-time traffic data, satellite for the map, streaming audio, and firmware updates over LTE (unless those updates are safety related).

11. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Wrong.

The $1000 is refundable, and therefore a liability.

Once you pay the $2, 500, all 3500 becomes non-refundable.

Read your fine print

• Like x 1
  12. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

It's not income until they deliver the vehicle as that promise to deliver a vehicle is a liability. They owe the customer a car, balancing out the deposit.

It is however most certainly cash in their accounts, which is very helpful for Tesla's current state of accounts. There is a good reason they report, and investors pay a lot of attention to, "cash on hand at end of quarter".

13. Thomas Edison

What about using the app to communicate with the car?

14. taylor

taylor Member

If you order the premium package (the one with the glass roof, premium heated seating throughout, two rear USBs, better sound system, etc) , your first year of Premium Connectivity is free, then it goes to $100/year after that. Premium connectivity allows internet streaming (via Slacker), satellite maps with live traffic visualization, and OTA updates via WiFi and cellular.

If you do not want the Premium Connectivity, you will still have access to maps (no live traffic, not sure about no satellite view), but no internet streaming service and the OTAs must be done over WiFi unless the update addresses a safety concern and the software update can be pushed over LTE.

That shouldn't have anything to do with the Premium Connectivity, especially since the app/phone is your primary key

15. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

July 1st is Canada Day. My hypothesis that Musk hated his time staying at his cousin's ranch in Saskatchewan stands.

• Funny x 2
  16. Thomas Edison

I thought it was your key through Bluetooth. Additional stuff like preheat and such are a data feature.

17. kaffine

kaffine Member

You are correct that phone as key is using blue tooth. However from what I have seen it is the high bandwidth uses of data that are restricted to the premium connectivity. The app data is not going to be a high bandwidth use. The lower bandwidth uses of data are still included so the App should be fine. Now if they start offering dash cam video in the app if the alarm is triggered that may require premium connectivity.

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Yeah I can't believe the number of six figure+ engineers standing for hours in line for free sundae promotions at Dairy Queen and similar.

19. drawfour

drawfour Member

Because my wife makes me. I'd rather go somewhere else without lines and pay for a sundae or cone.

20. kengchang

kengchang Member

It helps with the cash flow and fuel for burning down shortville