Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why July 1st for the free internet connectivity cutoff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory for why they picked that specific day is because immediately after they are going to announce the 200,000th sale and people are going to be rushing to get their car for the next six months. That with the 5,000+ Units a week means that it's about to get crowded.

My theory for why they picked that specific day is because immediately after they are going to announce the 200,000th sale and people are going to be rushing to get their car for the next six months. That with the 5,000+ Units a week means that it's about to get crowded.

The data plan was the carrot.....

They opened the configurator for all existing US and Canadian reservation holders, and likely converted 10's of 1000's of reservations (refundable $1000 US) into $3500 of non-refundable deposits, which they are allowed to count on their balance sheet as cash on hand.

Tell me again what day Q2 ends? Oh yea........

June 30th. The books will look nice on July 1st. ;)

I cannot make decision that soon. I don't know.
Are they really going to cutoff internet connectivity after July 1st?
They said no Free Supercharge after Dec 31 2016. But then, you know.
What do you think?

Also, what is that internet connectivity for? Get Google Maps? Fine.
Streaming music? Not so useful to me.
What else?

I cannot make decision that soon. I don't know.
Are they really going to cutoff internet connectivity after July 1st?
They said no Free Supercharge after Dec 31 2016. But then, you know.
What do you think?

Also, what is that internet connectivity for? Get Google Maps? Fine.
Streaming music? Not so useful to me.
What else?

It’s free lifetime premium connectivity that is cut off.

Paid is 8 bucks a month.

If you can afford Model 3 insurance you can afford the modest data plan.

Wrong.

The $1000 is refundable, and therefore a liability.

Once you pay the $2, 500, all 3500 becomes non-refundable.

Read your fine print

It's not income until they deliver the vehicle as that promise to deliver a vehicle is a liability. They owe the customer a car, balancing out the deposit.

It is however most certainly cash in their accounts, which is very helpful for Tesla's current state of accounts. There is a good reason they report, and investors pay a lot of attention to, "cash on hand at end of quarter".

If I order on July 2, I don't get any connectivity, or I get it for a couple years?

If you order the premium package (the one with the glass roof, premium heated seating throughout, two rear USBs, better sound system, etc) , your first year of Premium Connectivity is free, then it goes to $100/year after that. Premium connectivity allows internet streaming (via Slacker), satellite maps with live traffic visualization, and OTA updates via WiFi and cellular.

If you do not want the Premium Connectivity, you will still have access to maps (no live traffic, not sure about no satellite view), but no internet streaming service and the OTAs must be done over WiFi unless the update addresses a safety concern and the software update can be pushed over LTE.

What about using the app to communicate with the car?

That shouldn't have anything to do with the Premium Connectivity, especially since the app/phone is your primary key

If you order the premium package (the one with the glass roof, premium heated seating throughout, two rear USBs, better sound system, etc) , your first year of Premium Connectivity is free, then it goes to $100/year after that. Premium connectivity allows internet streaming (via Slacker), satellite maps with live traffic visualization, and OTA updates via WiFi and cellular.

If you do not want the Premium Connectivity, you will still have access to maps (no live traffic, not sure about no satellite view), but no internet streaming service and the OTAs must be done over WiFi unless the update addresses a safety concern and the software update can be pushed over LTE.

That shouldn't have anything to do with the Premium Connectivity, especially since the app/phone is your primary key
I thought it was your key through Bluetooth. Additional stuff like preheat and such are a data feature.

I thought it was your key through Bluetooth. Additional stuff like preheat and such are a data feature.

You are correct that phone as key is using blue tooth. However from what I have seen it is the high bandwidth uses of data that are restricted to the premium connectivity. The app data is not going to be a high bandwidth use. The lower bandwidth uses of data are still included so the App should be fine. Now if they start offering dash cam video in the app if the alarm is triggered that may require premium connectivity.