Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why make a deposit now?

Are you ordering now or waiting?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same dilemma, based on some M3 owners' negative experiences with pre-ordering in the past. Since I only want the seven-seater version (which will be released later than the 5-seat versions- website still says 2021, but I'm hoping winter 2020?), I am tempted to wait a bit longer before placing a pre-order. I would feel stronger about pre-ordering if there were clearer indications that either (a) the non-FSD price might rise or (b) that failing to pre-order would increase the wait by more than six months.

That said, I have done exhaustive research on other EV competitors, and I am about 100% certain that the Model Y w/ third row will be our next car (current ICE car is just fine w/ 55k miles, but I want to be done with ICE cars altogether!)

I am considering replacing my 2016 model X90D with a model Y when out to get the latest technology and more range - but am unsure if will be big enough after the X. So am waiting until I can try a Y first. May go for a new X instead, but difficult to justify the extra cost if the Y will do the job.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I have the same dilemma, based on some M3 owners' negative experiences with pre-ordering in the past. Since I only want the seven-seater version (which will be released later than the 5-seat versions- website still says 2021, but I'm hoping winter 2020?), I am tempted to wait a bit longer before placing a pre-order. I would feel stronger about pre-ordering if there were clearer indications that either (a) the non-FSD price might rise or (b) that failing to pre-order would increase the wait by more than six months.

That said, I have done exhaustive research on other EV competitors, and I am about 100% certain that the Model Y w/ third row will be our next car (current ICE car is just fine w/ 55k miles, but I want to be done with ICE cars altogether!)

I'm in the exact same boat, it's a tough call having zero information. 5 seat config will work for us.

I am considering replacing my 2016 model X90D with a model Y when out to get the latest technology and more range - but am unsure if will be big enough after the X. So am waiting until I can get into a Y first. May go for a new X instead, but difficult to justify the extra cost if the Y will do the job.

Reactions: ModelX
It could be just to lock in the price
Or get in line
Or to support the company
Or to keep the wife who REALLY wants one, happy

For 3 it made sense, till they opened up the line to everyone.

In my case it's me wanting one (not the wife) but I'm also waiting for the SR w/ 7seats so can't order yet anyway. Are you sure it locks in the price?

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
I was an early Model 3 owner VIN 89XX and it was perfect so I'm less inclined to be concerned over an early Model Y.
However, since I'm going to trade my Model 3 in the sooner I can sell it the better price I'll get. May not be entirely rational but that is my thinking.
Also, being an early owner meant lots of interest in the car which was really fun. The same will go for the Y although not to the same extent.

Reactions: Arctic_White
For 3 it made sense, till they opened up the line to everyone.

In my case it's me wanting one (not the wife) but I'm also waiting for the SR w/ 7seats so can't order yet anyway. Are you sure it locks in the price?

Three options, price goes up and original quote not honored
price goes up and quote honored
price goes down

Nothing is sure in life, but the options here aren't as good.

price goes down

fair enough. $100 would be good price for said option. I would do $2.5K if it would definitely lock in SR Y price @ $40+K.

Wonder when they'll allow SR orders?

price goes down

Agreed.

Other than a place in line (ideal primarily sorted by order date, not location and how vested one is with the company), a deposit now is a gamble on how Tesla treats pricing when deliveries actually happen. Ideally most advantageous to those that put in their reservation earlier.

I imagine a 4th option. Model Y base price matches equivalent Model 3 pricing at the time of production with $4,000 added. This would be in line with the $5,000 increase for a Model X for the equivalent Model S. Cost for options would be the same between trims.

Potentially early orders could be given a discount or "manufacturer rebate" on options based on when they ordered.

I want one for my wife and I want to wait, knowing tesla how they update cars and introduce new features I might wait about 6-8 month into production to see if all the issues are resolved and who knows, maybe MCU3?

As Tesla historically makes frequent changes, I expect the next hardware iteration as early as 2021, likely 2022 based .
Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

2014 - HW 1 based on MobilEye EyeQ3
2016 - HW 2.0 based on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 AI computing platform
2017 - HW 2.5, NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 with redundancy
2019 - HW 3.0, with FSD with two Tesla-designed processors.
2021/2022 - Anticipated HW update

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and f2000sa
As Tesla historically makes frequent changes, I expect the next hardware iteration as early as 2021, likely 2022 based .
Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

2014 - HW 1 based on MobilEye EyeQ3
2016 - HW 2.0 based on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 AI computing platform
2017 - HW 2.5, NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 with redundancy
2019 - HW 3.0, with FSD with two Tesla-designed processors.
2021/2022 - Anticipated HW update

that makes sense, I'm not going to wait till 2022 for sure :D thanks