Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Model S have very low trade in value (Vroom,Carvana...) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2018 75D MS (20k miles) with premium upgrades last month from Tesla for $59k and im very happy with it.
I like it more then our other Tesla, 2022 MY. Dont plan selling it anytime soon.

But just for curiosity i have submitted appraisal request to Carvana, Carmax, Vrrom and their offer is between $42k - $49k.

Wow that`s really low. If current car shortage ends soon they will probably offer me around $35k i guess.

And what is more shocking they sell same car online for $65k or much more.

I know some people will say if you sell it privately you will get more, but i sold my MYSR after 2 years and 15k miles for $15k profit and i can get for our new MYLR way more then we paid.

Congrats! Hard to say, but likely the buyers are out to make a nice profit. They are also unlikely to consider the value of the warranty you got when buying a used car from Tesla. If you also got FSD, I've found the commercial car buyers have no option to even consider it. Some like KBB.com will identify AutoPilot that's been included with all cars for a while now but have no option for FSD.

I got my 2018 75D MS (20k miles) with premium upgrades last month from Tesla for $59k and im very happy with it.
I like it more then our other Tesla, 2022 MY. Dont plan selling it anytime soon.

But just for curiosity i have submitted appraisal request to Carvana, Carmax, Vrrom and their offer is between $42k - $49k.

Wow that`s really low. If current car shortage ends soon they will probably offer me around $35k i guess.

And what is more shocking they sell same car online for $65k or much more.

I know some people will say if you sell it privately you will get more, but i sold my MYSR after 2 years and 15k miles for $15k profit and i can get for our new MYLR way more then we paid.
Your MY was still pretty much "current" your Model S is 2 generations back with an uncommon small battery.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I suppose warranty makes a big difference too. Your S has no more bumper to bumper warranty or is about to lose it.
What premium upgrades existed in 2018 that aren't standard now and were for years? Are they actually worth anything anyway?
Paying $65k for an S that has no warranty is pretty rough - particularly one that isn't exceptionally fast and has modest range. And whose supercharging could get nerfed tomorrow. They may try to sell that high but may have a bit of an S inventory right now. May be worried about holding S's as the interest rate sky rockets.
Most people would be better off buying a 3 or a Y with more warranty - and the market reflects this.
I personally have a nerfed out of warranty 70D. It is great but the market is understandably worried about repairs.
The 3 and the Y have less out of warranty concerns also. But wait until close to 8 years.

I agree with all above but my car with same mileage carvana was selling other day for $69k and it was sold. They offered me $47k. Tesla warranty till Dec 2022. That is $22k difference. Same thing with vroom. Almost $25k difference in price between my car offer and what they ask for their car

I bought from a friend (the car lived across the street since new) for what the brokers were offering. Maybe 4-6 months ago the dealer offered $53, brokers $69. A couple months later brokers offered $55 and I bought for that. High miles well past warranty.

I suspect that the panicky market has eased

Congrats! Hard to say, but likely the buyers are out to make a nice profit. They are also unlikely to consider the value of the warranty you got when buying a used car from Tesla. If you also got FSD, I've found the commercial car buyers have no option to even consider it. Some like KBB.com will identify AutoPilot that's been included with all cars for a while now but have no option for FSD.
This is true for many commercial buyers, but not all. Part of the reason we created our IO program was to make sure that things like that were taken into account...

Discontinued rare colors like Obsidian Black Metallic, pano sunroof, FSD, FUSC, etc. Those all add value to the car but aren't generally factored into the big box algos.

I think you should expect the offers to be 10k less than what you paid. In other words it’s ok you did well.

Every MS 2018 75D under 20k miles is more then $67k (Vroom,Carvana...)

If they offer you $44k for your car that means their profit is over $26.000.

I dont see any car (ICE or EV) to have that huge difference in sale/trade in value