Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Model S when Model X is coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You had me laughing at Model Y

funny thing is that it's no joke, they actually have S-E-X-Y trademarked.

Tesla Motors Trademarks S E X Y (w/video)

Elon is a genius or... | Forums | Tesla Motors

We have model S,E,X next model y?

sexy.png

or as Grendal said in that one thread:
Model S = Sedan
Model E = Everyone's car
Model X = Crossover
Model Y = Yes, it's a everyone's crossover
Model R = Roadster

The Model X will actually cost more since all Model X cars will be AWD.

Really? Tesla's Model X page says this:

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Model X is offered with optional Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive.
The second motor enables more than all-weather, all-road capabilities: it increases torque by 50%. When outfitted with AWD, Model X Performance accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds, outperforming the fastest SUVs and many sports cars.

It could be a mis-qoute. That will move the price of base model to a much higher level which does not seem to make much sense at all.

Not a misquote. Musk said it himself that the Model X will cost more than the Model S because all Model X will be AWD. He also assured the price gain would be in single thousand digits. So we know that the increase will be under 10k.

When the Model S first came out there were only limited choices if you wanted reasonably quick delivery. I don't see why the Model X would be any different. The main reason for limited choices in a new assembly line is to allow the line to optimize. After a year there will likely be more X choices.

The website clearly has only AWD options shown with AWD standard and AWD performance. A few months ago that same spot with diagrams had 3 options (the RWD Model X as well). So they have decided to drop the RWD model and go with AWD only. Considering that they'll probably be production constrained for a while yet I see this as a very reasonable choice. Also I think Model X will surpass Model S in sales at least in nordic countries.

If Tesla makes an AWD variant of the model S I am sure you would end up losing space inthe front trunk. That is exactly where the front motor wpould have to go. Given how much space the model S has it may not be a big deal for most. I would be curious on how much more Tesla is going to charge for this feature assuming they come out with it.

If Tesla makes an AWD variant of the model S I am sure you would end up losing space inthe front trunk. That is exactly where the front motor wpould have to go. Given how much space the model S has it may not be a big deal for most. I would be curious on how much more Tesla is going to charge for this feature assuming they come out with it.

Tesla has said that the "microwave" at the back of the frunk will go away with AWD.