Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Model X over other brands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just joined TMC, and looking forward to our delivery of a Model X LR in the coming months.

I just wanted to ask other owners why they chose the Model X over other luxury SUV's such as the Audi Q7/Q8, BMW X5/X7, Volvo XC90, Mercedes GLE/GLC, and etc.

Reactions: VikH
Hi all,

Just joined TMC, and looking forward to our delivery of a Model X LR in the coming months.

I just wanted to ask other owners why they chose the Model X over other luxury SUV's such as the Audi Q7/Q8, BMW X5/X7, Volvo XC90, Mercedes GLE/GLC, and etc.

Drive both cars and the answer is obvious. The X is fun to drive and feels light on it's feet. The others are, well, big lumbering SUVs that get the job done, but are not fun to drive.

And once you go EV you never go back.

I've just been thinking about all the options that the other manufactures offer and how it's very similarly priced as the LR model X. There are definitely pros and cons of the X and other SUV's and hearing what turned people to the X is valuable feedback for me. So I appreciate both your responses!

I've just been thinking about all the options that the other manufactures offer and how it's very similarly priced as the LR model X. There are definitely pros and cons of the X and other SUV's and hearing what turned people to the X is valuable feedback for me. So I appreciate both your responses!

I believe in Climate change and want to reduce my carbon footprint. None of those options you suggested do that. I had considered the Lincoln Aviator GT - which is a plug in hybrid but was disappointed by the small battery and small electric motor. I had thought it might be able to handle city/local driving but with only 100 hp electric you would always be kicking in the ICE. Getting my new X last month - I would add the smooth and substantial power is going to hook you. And the X is a very smart car. You should enjoy 1 pedal driving, auto pilot, the Falcom wing doors, walking up and having the door open for you etc etc.

Reactions: KerryOH
I've owned Tesla since 2013, replaced the S with an X. There was a time I felt I would never buy another vehicle. The X is great, until you have to get service. If my X was destroyed today, Volvo XC90 is high on the list.

#1 service can't keep up. in 2013 Tesla service was the best I've ever experienced. Years ago when I brought a problem, they would fix it, and fix a dozen other issues I hadn't noticed yet. Today, Corporate cut costs so deep, it takes weeks to get an appointment. Sometimes that appointment gets rescheduled out or deleted. Corporate has made it impossible to get in touch with service. Phones have been 100% removed, voicemail goes to a full mailbox, email is unanswered, text messages go no where, and online appointments won't submit or disappear and the iPhone app server down errors all the time. If you need a follow up after the service, to say, 'hey it's not fixed', "Where is my wheel lock?', 'what is this dangling wire?', 'something else broke' or 'hey you gave me someone else's wheel', you can't. The only consistent way to really contact the service center is to drive there physically in person. (2 hours away)

I went from praising service, to asking why I put up with it. I'm tired of being told they can't fix something, logs show no issues. This is normal, your making it up, etc. In 2014 when my tail lights had water in them, I took a picture, and they fixed it. 2018, They said they must physically witness the fogged lenses, pictures aren't proof!!! When I bought my X, the drivers heated seats were broken, they said I was imagining it, they can't reproduce it, works for them. I bought a thermal camera and showed them proof there was no heated seat installed. It took 1 year to deliver and install the correct replacement seat. My wipers never came on during the rain. I installed a dash cam to prove I wasn't making it up. They came back and said I must have dislodged the rain sensor while installing the dash cam! My car had random emergency braking events. Multiple visits, they kept saying all cars do this, logs show no issues, they won't fix it. Eventually, a tech found a tiny voltage problem causing radar noise, replaced the radar and I've never had any issues since. My Drivers door randomly would open and they said not reproducible, logs don't lie, I'm making it up, won't fix it. I showed them pics / video, and they replaced a module, which solved the problem. My FWD sensor showed phantom obstacles for years, all day every day, doors won't open, half open, won't close, etc. Over ride doesn't work, have to reboot the car to open/close doors, etc. Many visits they'd keep it for 2 weeks, order parts, then not do anything, not install the parts, said the logs don't lie, it's not reproducible, there is nothing wrong, I'm exaggerating, making it up, all cars have some issues. Even when the car did it right in front of them, they dismissed it. I got to the point where I was asking about trade in values, and researching how much depreciation will I lose selling this vehicle for something else, like a Volvo XC90. Finally just a couple weeks back the tech replaced some butyl patches and other tweaks to keep the sensors stuck to the door properly and not vibrate. So simple, yet so frustratingly hard to get repaired.

end rant. Words of wisdom, you need overwhelming proof of problems. Take detailed notes time/date/location and pictures, videos, etc. That should help when having to prove something is wrong, but you still may get the run around, be patient. After all challenging the 'Logs don't lie' requires overwhelming proof the Logs missed it.

Last edited:
I've owned Tesla since 2013, replaced the S with an X. There was a time I felt I would never buy another vehicle. The X is great, until you have to get service. If my X was destroyed today, Volvo XC90 is high on the list.

#1 service can't keep up. in 2013 Tesla service was the best I've ever experienced. Years ago when I brought a problem, they would fix it, and fix a dozen other issues I hadn't noticed yet. Today, Corporate cut costs so deep, it takes weeks to get an appointment. Sometimes that appointment gets rescheduled out or deleted. Corporate has made it impossible to get in touch with service. Phones have been 100% removed, voicemail goes to a full mailbox, email is unanswered, text messages go no where, and online appointments won't submit or disappear and the iPhone app server down errors all the time. If you need a follow up after the service, to say, 'hey it's not fixed', "Where is my wheel lock?', 'what is this dangling wire?', 'something else broke' or 'hey you gave me someone else's wheel', you can't. The only consistent way to really contact the service center is to drive there physically in person. (2 hours away)

I went from praising service, to asking why I put up with it. I'm tired of being told they can't fix something, logs show no issues. This is normal, your making it up, etc. In 2014 when my tail lights had water in them, I took a picture, and they fixed it. 2018, They said they must physically witness the fogged lenses, pictures aren't proof!!! When I bought my X, the drivers heated seats were broken, they said I was imagining it, they can't reproduce it, works for them. I bought a thermal camera and showed them proof there was no heated seat installed. It took 1 year to deliver and install the correct replacement seat. My wipers never came on during the rain. I installed a dash cam to prove I wasn't making it up. They came back and said I must have dislodged the rain sensor while installing the dash cam! My car had random emergency braking events. Multiple visits, they kept saying all cars do this, logs show no issues, they won't fix it. Eventually, a tech found a tiny voltage problem causing radar noise, replaced the radar and I've never had any issues since. My Drivers door randomly would open and they said not reproducible, logs don't lie, I'm making it up, won't fix it. I showed them pics / video, and they replaced a module, which solved the problem. My FWD sensor showed phantom obstacles for years, all day every day, doors won't open, half open, won't close, etc. Over ride doesn't work, have to reboot the car to open/close doors, etc. Many visits they'd keep it for 2 weeks, order parts, then not do anything, not install the parts, said the logs don't lie, it's not reproducible, there is nothing wrong, I'm exaggerating, making it up, all cars have some issues. Even when the car did it right in front of them, they dismissed it. I got to the point where I was asking about trade in values, and researching how much depreciation will I lose selling this vehicle for something else, like a Volvo XC90. Finally just a couple weeks back the tech replaced some butyl patches and other tweaks to keep the sensors stuck to the door properly and not vibrate. So simple, yet so frustratingly hard to get repaired.

end rant. Words of wisdom, you need overwhelming proof of problems. Take detailed notes time/date/location and pictures, videos, etc. That should help when having to prove something is wrong, but you still may get the run around, be patient. After all challenging the 'Logs don't lie' requires overwhelming proof the Logs missed it.

I read all these stories and wonder how I got so lucky. Had issue with car refusing to go into gear at day 5, but since that in nearly 2 years the only other issues has been one flat tire (ran over knife blade). There are small things like 1/8 inch misalignment of the door seem, but it does not bother me and more importantly leak wind or water.

Maybe it is because my X is a mid 2018 with MCU 2, AP 2.5, etc. Don't know. Maybe I am just lucky.

Last edited:
Model X is a smooth, quiet, powerful all electric SUV, supported by the extensive Supercharging network to enable long distance driving. No other SUV gives the ecological benefit of not burning gas/diesel while providing such luxury and capability.

Owners rave about them, but test driving one will help you understand best.

Other large SUV's either swill petrol or lack high speed charging when traveling.

Hi all,

Welcome! Here is a quick summary based on +2 years of driving a Model X in twin cities area:
Performance - love the acceleration of the car
Electric drivetrain - very smooth no shifting, one pedal driving, AWD system very responsive great in snow
Utility - lots of storage, can carry 6 people relatively comfortably in 6-seat config, can get kids in car seats very easy, easy access to third row
Technology - autopilot is great for road trips, great UI, superchargers for road trips, heat and cool car from app, automatic doors,
Windshield - love the view out of the large windshield

I assume you live in Twin Cities area. The Eden Prairie Service center is great. They just opened a new Service Center in Maplewood. I would not worry about service.

Also, make sure you join the Minnesota Tesla Club facebook group. Lots of good info there and great group of people.

My wife had two different X5 in 9 years. When our mechanic told us that our X5 is going to come up with some major repairs, we decided to look for a new SVU. We first test drove another X5. My wife thought they didn't really improve much so we moved to Lexus. My wife didn't like the look and it drove "boring". We were going to test drive the Porsche Cayenne and the Audi Q7, but we made the mistake of test driving the Model X. That was it and we ordered one right after the test drive. That was over 2 years ago. To this date, whatever my wife sees X5 on the road, she would tell me, "I feel so sorry for those people. They don't know what they are missing!"

Thanks everyone for your insights! I'm glad to hear that most people have had good experiences with the Model X. Sorry for all the troubles you had @Joer293. I actually am coming from a XC90 T8. It's a great car, but I've had too many major issues with the drive train do to the electric motors. I'm just glad it was still covered under warranty.

Thanks for the tips @VikH. I'm actually located in Rochester, and we're scheduled to test drive a Model X performance at the Eden Prairie location in the afternoon today. We're both pretty excited and can't wait. It will be our first time diving a Tesla!

I should also mention that we're leasing our X, so I'm not too concerned about service issues, and ours is a 5 seat config with no FSD.

Any tips/things to look out for or ask during our test drive tomorrow?

Reactions: wreighven
Moo716. I am looking into to get a X, too. Can you share you test driving experience? Thanks in advance.

Hey Wuxjj,

After the test drive, we were sold. Here are the details

1. SA was very welcoming and answered all our questions
  2. We drove a 2020 Model X Performance 6 seat config that had the FSD option
  3. Power: The X was very smooth, and the power delivery was unlike any car I drove before. At one point when we were entering the freeway from an on ramp, I was surprised at how quickly the car accelerated. We also tried a few launches from standstill in ludicrous and ludicrous plus mode, and that really put a smile on both our faces :). I could probably do that every day.
  4. Handling: You can really feel the low CG (center of gravity) of the car, and how heavy it is. I didn't want to push it too much around the corners since it's winter here, and some parts of the roads had ice. The ride was pretty comfortable, and the steering feel was not soft or hard in standard mode. Which is what I prefer.
  5. Braking: We didn't try any brake test since the roads were slippery and wanted to have time to try other features. The regen braking was something new to us since this was our first full electric car we drove. It takes some time to get used to. There are different settings that change the sensitivity of the regen braking.
  6. Interior: was very simple, but well done. I sat in the second row seats, and was amazed at the amount of space I had. The front windshield was amazing, and the seats were very comfortable.
  7. Exterior: Falcon doors were pretty cool, and we really liked how you could close and open the door remotely in the car and through the phone app as well as the key fob. The color was the midnight grey metallic.
  1. Pros:
  2. Great driving dynamics
  3. Lots of technology in a simple package
  4. Love the convenience of the automatic doors
  5. Spacious and comfortable interior
  6. Autopilot works very well
  1. Cons
  2. The physical buttons and knobs on the car look really outdated and cheap (i've heard they're using old Mercedes parts)
  3. Cabin was nosier than expected in highway driving
  4. Really small rear view mirror, and not a lot of visibility when looking behind you from the drivers seat
Overall, after test driving. The cars performance is incredible for being so heavy, and the technology is awesome. I hope in future models, they keep the driver dash display and not go the route they did with the model 3. I also hope they refresh some of the interior/exterior pieces with newer/premium looking ones. But those are just minor things, and now we're even more excited for delivery and can't wait!

Before purchasing S & X, we were driving Lexus and Jaguar vehicles.

Today, Tesla has the only long-range EVs that have a network of superchargers and destination charges for road trips. EVs from other manufacturers are essentially limited to local driving until an alternative to the Tesla Supercharger Network becomes available.

Compared to ICEs, Tesla EVs have instantaneous acceleration.

Tesla continues to provide software updates to vehicles after delivering, with the potential for major new features not present in the original vehicle.

The vehicles have the potential for future Full Self Driving - other manufacturers, at best, will provide a limited amount of "autopilot" features today, and will require purchase of a new vehicle when they get FSD working.

Purchasing a Tesla is a trade-off. Other luxury vehicles will likely have more luxury "features", while Tesla has focused on providing long-range/high-performance EVs with a core set of features.

We currently have 2017 S and 2018 X, and have a Cybertruck reservation as a potential replacement for the S or the X (we may want the extra towing capability of the Cybertruck).

Interesting as I am about to leave an 2016 Volvo XC-90 T8 for a Model X. And my service experience with the Volvo has been stellar! I am prepared for what you describe, as i have been doing my research, and each time I drive my Volvo I shake my head and ask myself what the heck am I doing. Still, I love the technology of the Tesla, (I use the Volvo autopilot constantly and LOVE it), and I want the Tesla experience I have been reading about (even with the bad).

Interesting as I am about to leave an 2016 Volvo XC-90 T8 for a Model X. And my service experience with the Volvo has been stellar! I am prepared for what you describe, as i have been doing my research, and each time I drive my Volvo I shake my head and ask myself what the heck am I doing. Still, I love the technology of the Tesla, (I use the Volvo autopilot constantly and LOVE it), and I want the Tesla experience I have been reading about (even with the bad).
My suggestion would be to go to your service center and ask for a manager, sit down with this person and explain your concerns. Try to develop a relationship with the service department before you take delivery.

Some locations have just been under tremendous cost pressure. (Which translates to increased stock price value, investors love cost cutting). Some locations seem to be allowed more funding for a reason I'm not aware. Some have more skill in Model 3 repair. Some older locations with techs who've seen a thing or two, generally have more experience in roadster/ Model S/X repair. Consistency is lacking in the overall service center experience. Check the forums, and other owners, likely at the local Super chargers. They can give you the inside scoop of your local service.

I read all these stories and wonder how I got so lucky. Had issue with car refusing to go into gear at day 5, but since that in nearly 2 years the only other issues has been one flat tire (ran over knife blade). There are small things like 1/8 inch misalignment of the door seem, but it does not bother me and more importantly leak wind or water.

Maybe it is because my X is a mid 2018 with MCU 2, AP 2.5, etc. Don't know. Maybe I am just lucky.

Not being an early adopter is that "luck". I've personally done my part of early adopter to help Tesla. My first Model S was one of those so called "demo" vehicles that was sold knowingly with a motor defect. Spent maybe 1 day on the showroom floor. My X was the 2nd 100kw in the region. Over the years, I've discovered lower cost base models generally have higher quality. First, because the base models are made last in the manufacturing ramp up cycle. Tesla uses the initial production of higher end models as the beta tester group. Second, they just have less stuff to break.