Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why my Wh/mi so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry to report that the Model Y is a thirsty girl. It's probably best to keep your range in percentage and know it's thirsty. Lifetime maps shows less than 75% efficient on our 2020 MY.

1654719616212.png

We really need to see the terrain you're driving on. Any advice here is skewed toward individual results based on region.

Chill mode? My "chill" mode is my right foot. I rarely punch it, because...because...well...I'm older, been there, done that. It's not a thrill anymore. I've grown up. (HAHA!)

29k miles, several road trips, DFW driving (actually, mostly highway). I'm at 284 Wh/mi lifetime. Not obsessing about range, no longer any range anxiety.

I guess I'm REALLY getting old.
His point is. A new EV driver needs to teach their foot to “chill”. One way to learn that is by forcing it. If they are in pain, that’s why their wh/mi is high. If they are driving efficiently they won’t even notice the change.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Wow lifetime of 340 what are you doing?? Do you have stock tire size?
Something seems off unless you're driving 80mph most of the time
The MY has seen a lot of highway miles. I've had it on Turo for a year or so. Still there but now my daily this last year. It just loves the juice. I do have the 20in rims and yes, way early on I've changed tires to the Comp 4S. I'm actually on my 4th purchase set for the rear. I've done two autocross events over the last two years and a few track nights at the 1/8 track and the 1/4 track. I really don't think that affects the consumption as much as these Texas highways. You're usually doing 80 somewhere on the highway.
The Y does have the 980 performance motor and I'm not sure if that really affected the consumption. Usually the difference in range between the MYLR and the MYP would be the rim / tire size.

We really need to see the terrain you're driving on. Any advice here is skewed toward individual results based on region.

Chill mode? My "chill" mode is my right foot. I rarely punch it, because...because...well...I'm older, been there, done that. It's not a thrill anymore. I've grown up. (HAHA!)

29k miles, several road trips, DFW driving (actually, mostly highway). I'm at 284 Wh/mi lifetime. Not obsessing about range, no longer any range anxiety.

I guess I'm REALLY getting old.
I’m sitting around 273 wh/mi lifetime average over almost 2 years and just under 20k miles. That includes 2 MN winters, too. How fast are you driving on the highways? The efficiency noticeably drops as you go above 60 MPH. I suspect in TX you’re burning a few more electrons for the A/C, too.
The MY has seen a lot of highway miles. I've had it on Turo for a year or so. Still there but now my daily this last year. It just loves the juice. I do have the 20in rims and yes, way early on I've changed tires to the Comp 4S. I'm actually on my 4th purchase set for the rear. I've done two autocross events over the last two years and a few track nights at the 1/8 track and the 1/4 track. I really don't think that affects the consumption as much as these Texas highways. You're usually doing 80 somewhere on the highway.
The Y does have the 980 performance motor and I'm not sure if that really affected the consumption. Usually the difference in range between the MYLR and the MYP would be the rim / tire size.
Turo - that can explain a lot, too!

Reactions: Darmie and gt2690b
I posted this on another thread too - Drove back from our cabin yesterday. Got on the road, turned on FSD and let Tesla do the driving. There wasn’t much wind that I know of (gentle breeze when I left and gentle breeze at my destination; no idea in the middle.) I looked up the elevation and it’s a net 300’ drop over 150 miles, so essentially flat. There were some rolling hills but not a ton. About ⅔ of the drive was on state highways going 59 MPH, slowing down through towns. The last 1/3 was on a highway going about 64 MPH. Fairly nice weather, in the 70’s so A/C didn’t have to do much. Basically, about the best conditions you can have for an EV and I got slightly better than the rated efficiency.

88F6E80F-F823-4B39-9DFB-88378A5E5F9A.jpeg

c8rl6yy.jpg

I just took this to respond to another thread. It might be useful to this discussion. FYI over 9K of my total miles were on road trips at highway speeds. But know I drive at 5 over posted limits, just because other cars are blowing by me, I maintain my 5 over rule. So on the routes I frequently travel I’m driving at 70 to 75 mph. Anything over that and I can see my wh/mi sky rocket.

Reactions: laservet

Most good Tesla drivers on the street are using the brakes alnost-never. This maximizes regenerative braking and efficiency, thus rate of acceleraation is not that big a deal.

At the track, or autocross, you are running max acceleration and then getting on the brakes _hard_ which dumps all that momentum you just invested energy into making out the rotors in the form of heat for max inefficiency. So yes you will see 1000+ kWh/mi at the track, but it's from the brakes, not the gas pedal. Run laps with one-foot driving and you'd be pretty efficient, albeit not as fast a lap time since you'd not be braking as hard into the corners.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman