Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no aftermarket corner window replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering so many break in, I would expect this a good opportunity to make aftermarket replacement of the corner window.

One way is to make them DIY mountable, but no need to be as “rigid” as the OEM ones because they will always be broken sooner or later. So owners can just order a bunch of these to replace without too much hassle.

The other way is to let users customize the material. Like bullet proof glass or steel plate. Adding extra sensors to trigger alarms is also useful.

I had investigated the possibility of an owner replacing the factory window with Lexan / plexiglass and I came to the conclusion that it would probably not be possible without some help from Tesla. There are several pieces that are bonded to the glass. See here:

Sentry Mode not working during break ins / Removing rear seat latch and the following post where I have pictures of one window.

I think the same goes for any aftermarket source. They would have to source the plastic pins and chrome trim (assuming from Tesla or their suppliers) and mount them to the plexiglass, bulletproof glass or metal plate.

I also asked a local plastics store about the possibility of simply bonding a piece of break-resistant plexiglass to the window and was told that it may not be a good idea due to the different temperature expansion characteristics between automotive glass and plexiglass. The best case result would be that the plexiglass may fall off (sometime in the future) and the worst case would be that the glass would shatter.

I realize those of you who live in cesspools believe this is a common problem in need of a simple solution.

For some perspective I am over 40 grew up in NJ before moving to the Midwest and I can't even think of a friend or family member who has ever had a car window broken like this, I have never seen human waste in a public place and only ever seen one or two discarded needles in a public place.

The window thing is a localized problem manufactured thru public policy.