Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why No Automatic Speed Adjust When Enter New Speed Limit Zone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to work at Tesla and my job is to talk to the engineers and get people the answers to questions like these.

Although, I have worked at Apple with that mission and found that people are the problem, not the tech.
People have the stupidest questions, so perhaps I am being like people right now with my "Does the car track the speed limit" curiosity.

With HW3 it should recognize the speed limit signs and actually change speed at that point,
You might be aware of this, but even before HW3, I noticed my car would slow down to the proper speed limit on a stretch of road to my home and then speed up again when it passed that slow zone. Of course, it was not recognizing the sign. At that time is was using GPS and map data. Clearly didn't work everywhere but did in some places.

What I said above is my PREVIOUS understanding of the way Teslas work

Again, it slows to 5 MPH over the speed limit in certain LIMITED highways, others are marked as UNLIMITED and you can go ANY speed on those roads. If a speed limit changes on an unlimited highway the car will NOT change speed, only if the +5 MPH speed is slower than you are already going will the car slow in a new speed limit zone, and only if you were previously using a set speed that is faster than you were currently going will the car speed up when entering a faster speed limit zone.

My experience matches what Randy describes. I am endlessly annoyed when I go from an unlimited freeway/highway/interstate to a long off ramp, and the car decides its needs to slow down before I need to slow down / am ready to disable cruise.

I don't use those speed offsets, so the speed changes are frequently jarring, as I'm not ever expecting or wanting a cruise control to care what a speed limit is.
(e.g. The car scrubs 20+ mph very quickly when it hits the off ramp, without permission from me, which sucks if not expecting it...)

Edit for clarity: I know now to expect it and disable TACC early to avoid that quirk of the "cruise control".

Now if I could just get used to turning the TACC off when the car is in any kind of curve. I always hit the shifter or the brake pedal and the car lurches as the wheels straighten and I OVER-REACT and all my passengers scream and my wife tells everyone she as told me she doesn't like my letting the car do much of the driving.

Ah, well, perhaps when the car can do ALL of the driving I won't have to worry about it anymore

Now if I could just get used to turning the TACC off when the car is in any kind of curve. I always hit the shifter or the brake pedal and the car lurches as the wheels straighten and I OVER-REACT and all my passengers scream and my wife tells everyone she as told me she doesn't like my letting the car do much of the driving.

LOL.

One thing I've learned, that helps, is that the car can take those turns much faster than I'd expect (I'm talking about AP rather than TACC). That is, when it seems it's not slowing down enough, and it's going faster than I would take the curve, I don't really need to disengage autopilot. That is, if I keep a firm grip and pay close attention, I find that it handles the curve fine.

My wife may say "whoa," but she doesn't scream. Or she'll say, with her Swedish accent, "Are you playing race-car driver?"

Wow I am glad it is not just me - I have posted this problem to a facebook group and could not get a good answer.

I am experiencing the exact same thing

At the moment when I pass a speed limit sign while on autopilot it will change the speed limit on the display to the new speed limit if I am exceeding that speed. As it passes the sign while on autopilot it will also slow the car automatically. This is great but in my case is sees the sign adjusts the display but then automatically sets the cruise control to 10Km/hr more than the speed limit instead of the actual speed limit . What is the point of recognizing the sign, displaying the speed limit correctly, slowing the car down but rather than slowing to the actual,speed limit it sets it 10Km/hr faster than the speed limit.