Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why no beep for backup sensor in Model 3? [rear cross traffic warning]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked at threads and apparently I am in minority about feeling this should be an essential in the Model 3 standard that I got in December.
I have a Subaru Outback that is really superb for me in Florida with the crazy drivers here in parking lots etc. in terms of warning. I just don't feel like the rear camera gives me a broad enough picture.

While I am at it, the other thing that bothers me is that the screen showing adjacent cars in other lanes shows too much forward of car and far too little in terms of those coming up behind me. I would have thought that others would have felt this could be fixed better.

I will say this- if I had researched it more, despite all the great features, I don't think I would buy the Tesla again with these features missing.

Please don't put me down too much. Just my opinion.

The research for rear cross traffic alert is too difficult for Tesla.
I think they didn't figure it out yet.

Today I almost backed into another car behind me that was also backing up. Got distracted and did not notice until the other driver blew his horn. Is this normal in the M3 that there is no backup collision warning??

Since you are posting in a thread that is entitled "Why no beep for backup sensor in a model 3 [rear cross traffic warning], I assume the "is this normal in a model 3" question is a rhetorical one?

I had 2021 Nissan Sentra for a loaner car while my car was in for some minor bumper scrapes. Gotta say, the Sentra is not my cup of tea, handling, acceleration and just about everything else-wise. But the fact that it, a base economy car, had not only their version of TACC, blind spot monitoring, and auto braking that all work better than my car was surprising.

I have a floor jack that I back up over, right up to it’s rubber wrapped handle in my garage with my car. The Sentra not only repeatedly, loudly warns about the handle, but actually brakes, preventing me from backing up to it. I have to force it every time to go up to it. My car doesn’t even register it.

Ironically, the main scrape on the bumper — the reason my car was in the shop and why I’m driving the Nissan — was because my wife backed up to and touched a pole at the supermarket; something that wouldn’t have happened with the economy car.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and ARKEBUS
I've looked at threads and apparently I am in minority about feeling this should be an essential in the Model 3 standard that I got in December.
I have a Subaru Outback that is really superb for me in Florida with the crazy drivers here in parking lots etc. in terms of warning. I just don't feel like the rear camera gives me a broad enough picture.

While I am at it, the other thing that bothers me is that the screen showing adjacent cars in other lanes shows too much forward of car and far too little in terms of those coming up behind me. I would have thought that others would have felt this could be fixed better.

I will say this- if I had researched it more, despite all the great features, I don't think I would buy the Tesla again with these features missing.

Couldn't agree more! I was backing up in a parking lot recently and my rear camera was fogged up... Another car was backing up and heading right for me...thank God she started honking her horn to alert me. C'mon Elon something like this should be standard as ell as better blind spot protection.

I had 2021 Nissan Sentra for a loaner car while my car was in for some minor bumper scrapes. Gotta say, the Sentra is not my cup of tea, handling, acceleration and just about everything else-wise. But the fact that it, a base economy car, had not only their version of TACC, blind spot monitoring, and auto braking that all work better than my car was surprising.

I have a floor jack that I back up over, right up to it’s rubber wrapped handle in my garage with my car. The Sentra not only repeatedly, loudly warns about the handle, but actually brakes, preventing me from backing up to it. I have to force it every time to go up to it. My car doesn’t even register it.

Ironically, the main scrape on the bumper — the reason my car was in the shop and why I’m driving the Nissan — was because my wife backed up to and touched a pole at the supermarket; something that wouldn’t have happened with the economy car.
Does the Nissan TACC still disengage when coming to a complete stop, allowing the car to then creep and run into the car in front? I experienced this on a rental 2018 Maxima. I'm glad I was paying attention and not screwing with the radio. Hit the brake when a weird tone went off (the disengagement signal?) and didn't tap the car that was in front of me.

OMG! However did you back up your car before these aids. First, you should take a quick look around before you enter your car. Be aware of your surroundings. Use the mirrors and the cameras. Swivel your head. Should be more than sufficient. Better in many ways. I have been driving since 1966. I have never had a problem. Never pulled out in front of a moving car. Never backed into anything. My wife now...

My last two cars had MOV and BCI but it was a small plus in my estimation. I don't miss it. More things to go wrong. I like Tesla's approach. Remove as many points of failure as reasonably possible. Plus, I like that the screen shows your actual distance to an object.

Couldn't agree more! I was backing up in a parking lot recently and my rear camera was fogged up... Another car was backing up and heading right for me...thank God she started honking her horn to alert me. C'mon Elon something like this should be standard as ell as better blind spot protection.
Really? Your rear camera was fogged up and yet you just continued to reverse and let another person warn you of the danger by honking their horn? Why didnt you do what you have to do to actually pass a test...look behind you as you reverse??

Reactions: rpiotro

Agree 100%! My 10 year old Volvo has back-up warning beeps. I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve hit both of my sons’ cars backing my M3 out of my garage. I used the computer screen to guide me, but it showed that I had way more room than I actually had. Prior to getting this Tesla, I had only one minor accident in my 50 years of driving. Now, I’ve had two in six months, and both in my own driveway.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The other day I was reversing and there was a car visible on one of the side cameras. My car made audible beeps. I assume it was related to the other vehicle being detected (IE: cross traffic) as there were no objects close enough to trigger the proximity sensors that I could see. Not sure if this was just a total coincidence but it definitely was acting like it was cross-traffic aware.

It will alert to stationary things behind you as you get closer, but not things further away that are moving across your path of travel.
Not having cross traffic awareness on these cars is definitely a deficiency. Many complaints about this issue on this forum. Hope Tesla is listening.

There are things like this in terms of driver assistance gaps that add to my list of "how will FSD ever work with current hardware" questions.
If the car camera/sensors aren't enough to alert driver to cross traffic risk, then how well is the car going to back out of parking spots / execute 3 point turns / etc on its own?