Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why no beep for backup sensor in Model 3? [rear cross traffic warning]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked at threads and apparently I am in minority about feeling this should be an essential in the Model 3 standard that I got in December.
I have a Subaru Outback that is really superb for me in Florida with the crazy drivers here in parking lots etc. in terms of warning. I just don't feel like the rear camera gives me a broad enough picture.

While I am at it, the other thing that bothers me is that the screen showing adjacent cars in other lanes shows too much forward of car and far too little in terms of those coming up behind me. I would have thought that others would have felt this could be fixed better.

I will say this- if I had researched it more, despite all the great features, I don't think I would buy the Tesla again with these features missing.

Please don't put me down too much. Just my opinion.
I don't know how people lived before blind spot monitoring and backup beeps... :rolleyes:

Reactions: thesmokingman
I don't know how people lived before blind spot monitoring and backup beeps... :rolleyes:
@Gasaraki To be fair, older cars - especially 90s or earlier - had much better visibility than modern cars high beltlines, thick pillars, and limited rear glass area. Model 3 is far from the worst in those regards, I think it's pretty good by modern standards, but still nothing like the visibility you'd get in most 80s-90s sedans.

The desire for blind spot warnings, overhead parking view, etc seems reasonably justified to me these days. I'm okay without, at least in the Model 3, but I certainly get why they're popular.

@Gasaraki To be fair, older cars - especially 90s or earlier - had much better visibility than modern cars high beltlines, thick pillars, and limited rear glass area. Model 3 is far from the worst in those regards, I think it's pretty good by modern standards, but still nothing like the visibility you'd get in most 80s-90s sedans.

The desire for blind spot warnings, overhead parking view, etc seems reasonably justified to me these days. I'm okay without, at least in the Model 3, but I certainly get why they're popular.

The other factor that makes rear cross traffic warning more necessary today is the proliferation of SUVs. It's impossible to see around them when backing out.

Tesla Model 3 has 12 ultrasonic sensors.

In 2015, Tesla said: "We actually developed a new ultrasonic sensor that is able to do sonar through metal."

Tesla uses ultrasonic sensors as proximity sensors for Autopilot.

Tesla's ultrasonic sensors cover out to 26+ ft.

They just need to turn it on for the rear cross-traffic alert !!!!

Attachments

• ILLUS2_TESLA_MODEL3_Sensors_ADAS_Applications_SYSTEMPLUSCONSULTING_June2020.jpg
    ILLUS2_TESLA_MODEL3_Sensors_ADAS_Applications_SYSTEMPLUSCONSULTING_June2020.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.20.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.20.44 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.28.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.28.36 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 has 12 ultrasonic sensors.

In 2015, Tesla said: "We actually developed a new ultrasonic sensor that is able to do sonar through metal."

Tesla uses ultrasonic sensors as proximity sensors for Autopilot.

Tesla's ultrasonic sensors cover out to 26+ ft.

They just need to turn it on for the rear cross-traffic alert !!!!

These are pretty useless for that purpose.

Post 67 in this thread explains why including the math involved.

I've looked at threads and apparently I am in minority about feeling this should be an essential in the Model 3 standard that I got in December.
I have a Subaru Outback that is really superb for me in Florida with the crazy drivers here in parking lots etc. in terms of warning. I just don't feel like the rear camera gives me a broad enough picture.

While I am at it, the other thing that bothers me is that the screen showing adjacent cars in other lanes shows too much forward of car and far too little in terms of those coming up behind me. I would have thought that others would have felt this could be fixed better.

I will say this- if I had researched it more, despite all the great features, I don't think I would buy the Tesla again with these features missing.

Please don't put me down too much. Just my opinion.
I agree completley! We have a jeep Cherokee which has come in handy several times when backing up. Can’t believe this is not standard in all Teslas. Also, side view mirrors with amber warning light would also be very helpful! C’mon Elon, stop making upgrades to farting sounds and focus on safety!

Reactions: Destiny1701
I agree completley! We have a jeep Cherokee which has come in handy several times when backing up. Can’t believe this is not standard in all Teslas. Also, side view mirrors with amber warning light would also be very helpful! C’mon Elon, stop making upgrades to farting sounds and focus on safety!

Every bit of available data from every safety/testing agency I'm aware of rates Teslas as the safest cars on earth.

Reactions: vickh
No, our 2011 Ford has it and it uses ultrasonics. And it works exceptionally well!

Huh?

Ford said:
The system uses radar sensors on both sides near the rear of the vehicle

Ultrasonics, if you look at their range and response times, would be nearly useless for rear cross traffic alert... and only just "nearly" if there's also nobody parked on either side of you- if there are then 100% useless.... (if there's not then they're useless for cross traffic going much about about 7 miles an hour- which is nearly everyone in any parking lot I've been in).

Last edited:
No, our 2011 Ford has it and it uses ultrasonics. And it works exceptionally well!
FYI, practically all Rear Cross Traffic Alert systems rely on corner mounted radar (which also provide blind spot monitoring):
GetFile.aspx

Continental Automotive

As others mentioned, the range of ultrasonic sensors make them worthless for this purpose. They are only designed for distance detection of close large solid objects (like walls and cars).

Teslas never had corner radars so never had rear cross traffic alert.

Agree 100%! My 10 year old Volvo has back-up warning beeps. I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve hit both of my sons’ cars backing my M3 out of my garage. I used the computer screen to guide me, but it showed that I had way more room than I actually had. Prior to getting this Tesla, I had only one minor accident in my 50 years of driving. Now, I’ve had two in six months, and both in my own driveway.
The Model 3 rear parking system is utter rubbish. It is not fit for purpose. I have had so many near misses because there is not the usual progressive beep...... beep......beep.... bi.... bi.... biiiiiiiiiiiiii that is found on EVERY other vehicle on the road. My wife has already backed into another car because of the lack of beeps. You only get quiet bong from the M3 when you are within hitting distance of an object. UTTER RUBBISH. I am going to get aftermarket parking sensors fitted that will give the audible beeps starting from 3 feet away like EVERY OTHER road car.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: KenC and XPsionic
The Model 3 rear parking system is utter rubbish. It is not fit for purpose. I have had so many near misses because there is not the usual progressive beep...... beep......beep.... bi.... bi.... biiiiiiiiiiiiii that is found on EVERY other vehicle on the road. My wife has already backed into another car because of the lack of beeps. You only get quiet bong from the M3 when you are within hitting distance of an object. UTTER RUBBISH. I am going to get aftermarket parking sensors fitted that will give the audible beeps starting from 3 feet away like EVERY OTHER road car.
As others pointed out, it does have auditory chimes that changes when it asks you to stop. Make sure you have it on: Controls > Safety > Park Assist Chimes.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Reactions: XPsionic
Simple. Cost cutting. He’ll our auto wipers suck so much. It’s either too fast or not sensitive enough. (Good thing it doesn’t rain as much here in California). But when it rains it annoys me. My vw and bmw had great rain sensing wipers but Tesla in its infinite wisdom cuts cost by relying on the camera.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Prior to Tesla we were a full Toyota/lexus family with numerous models from 1990 till 2016…with a brief period of bmw 5/x5 to liven up the drive.

In both of those makes, the rear cross traffic alert/chimes were literally a car AND life saver. And we are talking 15 yr old tech that provided an enormous sense of safety for the driver snd for others approaching the vehicle. I’ve had kids biking behind, mother walking a stroller, a jigger, random last second cars show up precisely as I’m backing…and in each instance, I think back to RCT alert and how incredible a safety tech it is. HUGE miss by tesla imo.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve backed out of my driveway, or a parking lot and I’m constantly turning my head left to right many times over. I get it…good driving habit regardless. But isn’t that why rct was developed? To provide ‘ additional’ safety?

I’m also a runner and as I jog through nearby neighbourhoods, there are many times a car decides to back out their driveway as I’m just approaching. The ones that stop right away while I’m at the neighbour lot 10-15’ away tells me they likely have some sort of rct alert. The ones that don’t, it’s quite obvious and every time I have to slow down or quickly move to the main road while the car doesn’t stop reversing.
If I wasn’t more attentive, accident waiting to happen.

Now that I’ve seen this thread, I’m going to start to look for an aftermarket solution given my 16 yr old daughter is learning to drive. As it is, she is learning to shoulder check constantly which is great…but I’d prefer some sort of rear warning for approaching objects as an added level of safety for her.

Wait for 2024 when they remove all the lights. You will have to just shine a flashlight out the window. Then Tesla fanboys will state: “lights? Who even drives in the dark anymore? Just drive during the day!…T forever baby!’ 🤦🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Jejunjm and sjg98
The only thing I don't like about my M3 is the lack of a rear back up sensor. I live in a rural area - lots of huge pickup trucks and plenty of big SUV's too. The shopping area of my town has, for the most part, diagonal parking spaces. When I back out of one of those spaces it is impossible to see if there is any oncoming traffic. I have almost backed into oncoming traffic multiple times. There is also a big blind spot in the cabin of the M3 if you are trying to back out the old fashioned way by just using your eyes to see if anyone is approaching. The backup camera is useless in these circumstances. As a result, I've given up on parking in these spaces and park about a block away where I can parallel park the car. A $50,000+ car should come with backup sensors

Reactions: Jejunjm
Every car is different, but when a feature you've become used to is missing, of course, you notice it. Honestly, if there are features in a car that you absolutely need, then make sure the car you buy has them! I wanted a car that was small, insanely fast, and didn't use gas. I got it. Rear CTA, I liked, but did I ever trust it? No, I always looked. Same with the ultrasonic sensors, I use them but don't trust them.

Thinking about it, if you've always driven a vehicle with certain features or functions, their absence will seem noticeable and probably unacceptable. Since 80% of the vehicles I've owned never had Rear CTA or ultrasonics, it doesn't bother me if I don't have them, though always nice to have them. On the other hand, I've never had steering assist this good, and I doubt I'd buy another vehicle without it. It makes road tripping immeasurably easier and safer.