Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no convertible options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why so very few options for guys like me who always had convertibles?

Since I had my driver's license only owned different convertibles ( Ford Mustang's, Mazda Miata's )

Always disliked FWD so only considered the RWD electric car's.

This left only options being Tesla and BMW i3. New Porsche Taycan too expensive.

As far as I know the Smart electric cars discontinued.

All the Kia, Hyundai models FWD as well Volkswagon eGolf FWD. Same for Nissan Leaf.

Zero convertibles, Zero 2 door coupes , few trucks announced so far.

So if you are into ICE sport cars, no fun to drive options in electric. Why is this and I do not include the BMW i8 as when in all electric mode, it is FWD.

Dan

The Model 3 architecture is very well suited to a nice four seat convertible - I wouldn't be at all surprised if one showed up once Tesla feels the market for the 3 (and maybe the Y, since they share so much) is getting saturated.

Why so very few options for guys like me who always had convertibles?
I think for two very good reasons:

1 - In the ICE car market, convertible sales represent a very small fraction of all car sales. Since currently EVs sell in relatively small numbers compared to ICE cars, a convertible EV would have a tiny sales volume compared to a non—convertible EV.

2 - Convertibles have more aerodynamic drag than hardtops, so an EV convertible would be less efficient and have lower range.

It’s going to be many years before any of the major car companies offer a convertible EV.