Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Extended Service Agreement for WA ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
"Extended Service Agreements are not available in Connecticut, Florida, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Washington. "

Does anybody perhaps know what the reason is that Tesla does not offer an extended service agreement in WA?

I was able to purchase one for a different vehicle last year, also registered in WA, so I don't think it's regulatory.

I'm a little confused, and I think Tesla is too. Timeline for me:

1. Somebody on forum says service agreements are available
2. Two Washington residents on forum say they have seen (and one even purchased) agreements
3. I try to look at agreements, and get a message saying they are not available in my area ("my area" is not defined; they don't have a list of states)
4. I email ownership asking for clarification. Why do other WA residents have access, but I don't?
5. I try looking at agreements the next day, they are there.
6. I get email from Tesla the day after that, saying the agreements are available.
7. I get email from ownership yet another day later saying they are not available in WA yet; they will let me know when they are available.
8. I ask ownership for clarification; wondering if some of us seeing them are getting access mistakenly.
9. Ownership says things are available now, but they weren't earlier, so people in WA saying they got it earlier were mistaken.
10. I see a post from you saying you get a message that says they are not available in WA yet.

So I'm sorry, but I can't offer any clarity and it sounds like Tesla can't either.

WA definitely allows ESAs; but each state has different rules about who can offer them, how they have to be registered with the state, how they can be worded, some specific provisions that must be in them, etc. I have heard before that WA has some of the stricter laws. But then, I'd also heard from a local employee that Tesla knew about this months ago, so I'd have thought any hoops that took a few days they'd have already jumped through.

Well I am confused as well.

I thought there were to extended plans:

- a 4 year extended warranty (cover things that go wrong with the car for 4 additional years)
- a 4 year extended service agreement (covers normal maintenance for 4 additional years)

As a WA resident I see and extended service agreement but I do not see and extended warranty

Did anyone ever figure out why we can't buy the ESA in Washington? Thanks
Political and/or legal red tape. Sucks. Our state is going to waste $1,500 of my money.

No sales tax, but let's add a yearly fee. And now let's screw you out of $1,500 for the ESA agreement. The "deal" in WA is getting worse all the time. (Apologies to Lando.)

Yes, this is very frustrating to watch. I have called Customer Service and had them make a note on my account that I have wanted to purchase the extension from day one and feel a bit screwed that I can't do it before the price goes up. the guy thought it might make a difference to make a not note of it when it's finally offered here... though he couldn't even say it would ever be. I highly recommend WA state residents call today and mention it!

Political and/or legal red tape. Sucks. Our state is going to waste $1,500 of my money.

No sales tax, but let's add a yearly fee. And now let's screw you out of $1,500 for the ESA agreement. The "deal" in WA is getting worse all the time. (Apologies to Lando.)

I got a response back from Tesla. Here's what he told me...

Thank you for your email and interest in the Extended Service Agreement (ESA). Our application is currently with the state legislation and there is no finite time table for the approval of this program to be sold in the state of Washington. Because of these restrictions, we are unable to offer you the ability to purchase the ESA for any price.

Have a great day,

John C. Crick
Ownership Experience

I've replied and asked if I could get one, when available, at current "pre increase" price.