Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why no forum app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I'll check that out. I thought it would be nice to have a tesla motor club branded app. Just like android forum app has. Just surprised it hasn't been done yet. I'm sure they could even charge for it like 1.99 as those who are spending 80k+ on a tesla shouldn't complain about it.

Any chance this forum will start working with the Tapatalk app again soon? Thanks.

unlikely.

I haven't been able to read this whole thread, but seriously guys. Some of you need to get a grip. Ask most forum admins and they dislike using tapatalk. It's been a pain for sooo many reasons and so many little things over the years I'm very happy to no longer have it installed.

Main reason for me is security. We've had incidents where info that was supposed to be restricted to a certain group was exposed to unintended parties. One particular incident we had a troll reported in the private moderator forum. (The mod forum is where we get reports and discuss how to handle whatever particular situation.) A moderator quoted the troll and it turned out tapatalk was giving that person notifications about what was supposed to be a private thread. Yeah, no thanks. Now we are spending a lot of time building out the Groups functionally (a work in progress) particularly for private groups, where we have a whole new layer of user permissions. I have no idea if tapatalk is going to deal with that correctly. I don't intend to risk it and add to the complexity. That and other custom features are not supported by tapatalk.

Here are a few other issues off the top of my head:
  • Certain user registration controls we had were bypassed by those registering via tapatalk, allowing in spammers.
  • New TMC is full SSL. You can login from public wifi and be reasonably sure that your password isn't getting stolen. Tapatalk sends passwords out in the open. No support for 2-factor.
  • A couple incidents of racy photos showing up on TMC in tapatalk that aren't actually on our site. Never got a proper explanation.
  • Putting in ads that look like normal threads (except obviously completely off topic). Something I didn't explicitly agree to.
  • Opting us into other various things we never agreed to.
  • Poor/slow support response, particularly for bug fixes.
  • Annoying pop up on mobile devices telling users to install tapatalk. I had to hack their code each time I did an upgrade to remove that.
  • It's a bad security in general to give access to a third party if you can avoid it.
I could go on, but most things require more explanation than I'm willing to spend the time typing out here.

Bottom line, I have no plan to install Tapatalk on our current system. Current TMC has responsive design that most people have no problem using on mobile. I find it quite enjoyable actually. We will work on our own mobile app, but it's not the highest priority. Only thing really missing was push notifications, and Pushbullet does a good job with that.

TMC really has been a labor of love for the past 10 years and we're spending a lot of time trying to sure up its foundation to endure another decade. We have to prioritize and you can't please everyone.

I understand that many of you reading this thread prefered using Tapatalk. I apologize that we will no longer be supporting that platform, and I appreciate your understanding.

from Is Tapatalk not going to be supported with the new forum?

Oddly enough and unexpectedly, while attempting to use tapatalk on another forum, I accidentally hit my old TMC icon in tapatalk. Lo and behold, it loaded up! It was fast, and fantastic! Wonderful even! Then, after about 5sec it reloaded again, and after loading, it worked for about 5 sec more and reloaded again. This reloading cycle kept repeating over and over endlessly. Due to the reloading, it isn't usable unfortunately. But clearly there is something happening behind the scenes at tapatalk. Fingers crossed!