Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Holiday Update for pre 2021 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am beginning to think Elon is not just the richest man in the world, he is the biggest liar in the world - he lies by omission in nearly every statement he makes these days. There are many older M3 and MY than the 2020 and 2019 Model S cars that have gotten it.

Because all M3 and MY are based on the newer architecture. Older MS and MX (pre-refresh) use "older" tech -- both internally and with their display orientation.

I think "lying" is a stretch. Misleading? Yes. I would be upset if I missed out, too, so as the kids say: "I feel you".
misleading = lying by omission. Why would they omit such a huge portion of the customer base without a mention? Perhaps there will be a secondary wave or modified version because there are lots of 2020's, 2019 Ravens out there, some just purchased a little over a year ago.

My old iphone can't do the newest iphone stuff.

So I got a new iphone.

My old laptop can't do the newest laptop stuff.

So I got a new laptop.

My 2014 Model S can't do the newest Model S stuff.

So I got a Plaid.

Welcome to the real world -- and the not the fantasy world of unrealistic entitlement of whiny crybabies.
Infantile comparison. I think you just want a way to brag that you have Plaid.

It's a UI - not splitting the atom!
True. But managing a platform's complexity budget is vitally important, if you want to preserve velocity. I'm not saying that engineering investment decisions which are velocity-sensitive yields the best outcomes for all customers at all times, but rather it's better for most customers most times.

I don't think Tesla should adopt a "no product (customer) left behind" approach. That's just not sensible.

Reactions: bhzmark
It's a UI - not splitting the atom!
Correct. As of mid 2019 most MS 100D models had MCU2 and HW3 - mine came that way. The release notes are clear about what cars get what, and I am fine with that, but Tesla is just not rolling the update to us. Either there is some formatting issue with the vertical screen or Tesla has decided that once your car is a year or more old you are screwed, but will not say it. I understand but Elon needs to be more straight forward with his comments. Personally I don't care about the party tricks like the light show, but way points is desirable. I am in the FSD beta program with 10.6.1 and have always gotten the update in a timely manner. Right now it looks like 10.8 is only rolling to the 3's and Y's and they very, very few refreshed Model S beta testers.

True. But managing a platform's complexity budget is vitally important, if you want to preserve velocity. I'm not saying that engineering investment decisions which are velocity-sensitive yields the best outcomes for all customers at all times, but rather it's better for most customers most times.

I don't think Tesla should adopt a "no product (customer) left behind" approach. That's just not sensible.
So according to that you need at least MCU2 to get the new UI
So 1000's of Model S have MCU2 and HW3 but still no update.