Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Holiday Update for pre 2021 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only seen a portion of this thread but have seen many posts on the Tesla Facebook group pages and in other media, and sense that there is even more negative reaction to this new release than most. Today I was watching a video on YouTube by Bjorn Nyland, who is one of the earliest and most supportive YouTubers, and he said he would refuse to install the version 11 because it was so bad. When someone like him, who has had multiple tesla cars and is a loyal long-term supporter, being so negative, I'd say you know that Tesla screwed up big-time.
My 2015 Model S has not received a notice of any new release, and I would certainly not install l it based upon what I have heard about it!
I hope that the Tesla tech does not install it when he comes for my recall inspection of the frunk release....
I got the update later than most, like all “Legacy S/X”, so my initial image of this update was negative because of the negativity on TMC, as well as my friend’s feedback, who installed it before me. I even started joining the mob, without actually having seen it first hand.
When I realized that, I though I should just not get influenced and be my own judge.

Glad I did.

The few bits that are overblown here in my view (mostly seat heaters and defrost) are not that big a deal. And I find the update actually great. There are indeed important changes. My personal feeling is that there are people that don’t like changes and are quite vocal about it.

I won’t argue it is perfect, but on my S, I definitely don’t miss v10.

I have AP1, so was of course not expecting the sentry life or blind spot camera that 3/Y got. This is the only complaint I find founded from those S/X owners with the hardware (AP2/2.5/3).

Not a “popular” opinion, but there you go.

Reactions: Wadisr and David29
I find the update actually great. There are indeed important changes. My personal feeling is that there are people that don’t like changes and are quite vocal about it.
I agree, was a little lost the first few times I used it but then realized it was just a question of change for the better. My wife on the other hand was really pi$$ed. She asked if they were allowed to do that! She obviously does not like change and was rather vocal about it. In 6 months from now, nobody will be wishing to go back IMHO.

I am legitimately interested in what specific change you regard as “change for the better”.
I have had very little time in the S so this may not apply as it is from my experience in the Y.

Why should I have seat heaters staring in my face taking up valuable screen space if I live in Florida or in my case, 6 months of the year when they are not used? The auto seat heaters has eliminated manual control in my case yet they are easily accessed in climate control although it is 2 clicks as opposed to 1. Wipers, if you needed manual control the goto was the button on the end of the stalk for a quick wash wipe, well now it brings up the wiper commands on the screen and you can adjust to your liking. Just a couple of things that make more sense now.

Reason I mentioned these is they are complaints I have read about.

I've only seen a portion of this thread but have seen many posts on the Tesla Facebook group pages and in other media, and sense that there is even more negative reaction to this new release than most. Today I was watching a video on YouTube by Bjorn Nyland, who is one of the earliest and most supportive YouTubers, and he said he would refuse to install the version 11 because it was so bad. When someone like him, who has had multiple tesla cars and is a loyal long-term supporter, being so negative, I'd say you know that Tesla screwed up big-time.
My 2015 Model S has not received a notice of any new release, and I would certainly not install l it based upon what I have heard about it!
I hope that the Tesla tech does not install it when he comes for my recall inspection of the frunk release....
There's a (pretty shaky) video on how to check it which might give some comfort!

• Informative
Reactions: mambro and David29
The "HOLD" indication is a fairly recent example -- sometime earlier in 2021, it was relocated, made gray and tiny, and now I can usually not see it. WHY???? Pure incompetence, haste, insufficient testing, and lack of proper Human factors review, is my guess.
The "hold" indicator only began to grab my attention while using the new dark mode during the day, lol.

Obv that's because dark mode applies a black background to the cluster during the day. But it's like, whose idea was it to give it a grey background during the day in the first place?

It's indicative of a bigger issue throughout the car industry, which is that there doesn't seem to be any usability standards for automotive interfaces. For example, instrument clusters should be required to have a certain amount of contrast when it comes to displaying symbols, to ensure that drivers notice whenever they appear.

FWIW, I did notice while entering my PIN that the digits on the keypad are slightly bolder. So that's... good, I suppose.

Reactions: David29
what speeds do you guys see at superchargers for older cars? I have a 2015 70D and I peak at 60-65 KW and then drops to 50 KW pretty quickly...
Good question. I have not traveled much lately but I do recall having been disappointed at my charging speed on a recent trip that required a supercharger stop. I may have seen a bit more, possibly 70-75 kW, but I cannot recall the SOC. Took longer than I expected or wanted to get what I needed, for sure. The battery was not fully warmed up when we arrived, though -- I still had some regen limitations even though we had driven 30 miles or so at freeway speeds. Temps were in the low 30s, i think.

Good question. I have not traveled much lately but I do recall having been disappointed at my charging speed on a recent trip that required a supercharger stop. I may have seen a bit more, possibly 70-75 kW, but I cannot recall the SOC. Took longer than I expected or wanted to get what I needed, for sure. The battery was not fully warmed up when we arrived, though -- I still had some regen limitations even though we had driven 30 miles or so at freeway speeds. Temps were in the low 30s, i think.
thanks for this data point!

Because all M3 and MY are based on the newer architecture. Older MS and MX (pre-refresh) use "older" tech -- both internally and with their display orientation.
I have a 2017 model S built the second half of the year, I paid for FSD and I paid to have MCU UPGRADE... The last update I got that was useful was the ability to change the amps when charging...I think because I have unlimited free supercharging and free premium internet they are screwing me on updated like lane change camera and sentry mode live on phone, for me Tesla is getting stale.

I have a 2017 model S built the second half of the year, I paid for FSD and I paid to have MCU UPGRADE... The last update I got that was useful was the ability to change the amps when charging...I think because I have unlimited free supercharging and free premium internet they are screwing me on updated like lane change camera and sentry mode live on phone, for me Tesla is getting stale.
Nope, they aren't screwing with you. I'm in the same boat with my 2016 Model X and 2017 Model S. The two features you mention (Lane Change Camera) and (Sentry Mode Live) are NOT a feature for our Legacy Model S/X. Yes, we are now part of Legacy Model S/X as per the web site as of this past summer.

You will get the Holiday update as they are slowly pushing it out to the entire fleet. Do note, that NOT all features will be supported on our Legacy Model S/X.

While we were able to upgrade from MCU/1 to MCU/2 and get the updated FSD cameras, MCU/2 is also deprecated as they now use the Rizen chip in the latest Tesla vehicles and due to a complex architecture change, there won't be an updated from MCU/2 to Rizen.
The good news is that you are grandfathered with free unlimited supercharging (and in my case of my 2016 Model X, transferable to the next owner through price sale free unlimited supercharging), and the free unlimited internet.

Take a look at TeslaFi. This year they are updating everybody in a random sort of way. Legacy cars get it too, some were among the first to get it. Mine came in last night, last year I did not get it until after Christmas. As with all legacy cars - no external speaker, no internal camera, and some of the features (like sentry view that we could have but they won't enable) just will not be there because there is not the hardware to support them. Most of the hyped features (like Steam) are only available to very tiny percentage of cars.