Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Holiday Update for pre 2021 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am beginning to think Elon is not just the richest man in the world, he is the biggest liar in the world - he lies by omission in nearly every statement he makes these days. There are many older M3 and MY than the 2020 and 2019 Model S cars that have gotten it.
Elon said a while back that Model S and X do not contribute significantly to Tesla business and they are only produced for sentimental reasons. As such, they will only get updates to latest glitz features if and when Elon feels sentimental enough about allocating engineering resources to them. IMHO the latest S & X are just test vehicles experimenting with the newest bleeding edge Tesla battery and drive train tech, maybe a few other features. I think they were meant to be the halo hype vehicles for Elon, fastest production car, longest range, but since they are no longer that, Elon's interest in them probably diminished.

Last edited:
Hey all. I got an update to FSD 10.8 last night. Can anyone tell me how to activate it? I took a short drive this morning and nothing is different when I activate autopilot. Is there an activation sequence that I am missing? Do I need to use it with nav? My safety score on the App has gone ~ so I know I am ready to go. I just cant see the obvious way to use this. Perhaps I have to opt out of beta FSD then back in?

Hey all. I got an update to FSD 10.8 last night. Can anyone tell me how to activate it? I took a short drive this morning and nothing is different when I activate autopilot. Is there an activation sequence that I am missing? Do I need to use it with nav? My safety score on the App has gone ~ so I know I am ready to go. I just cant see the obvious way to use this. Perhaps I have to opt out of beta FSD then back in?
While I'm still waiting for my Model S to be updated to 10.8 myself, you do need to go into the Autopilot screen (from the main Control screen) & turn on FSD. Then, you do have to select a destination in Navigation to give your car a route to take.
Hope this answers your question.
I never had to opt out of FSD Beta & get back in for FSD Beta to work.

Elon said a while back that Model S and X do not contribute significantly to Tesla business and they are only produced for sentimental reasons. As such, they will only get updates to latest glitz features if and when Elon feels sentimental enough about allocating engineering resources to them. IMHO the latest S & X are just test vehicles experimenting with the newest bleeding edge Tesla battery and drive train tech, maybe a few other features. I think they were meant to be the halo hype vehicles for Elon, fastest production car, longest range, but since they are no longer that, Elon's interest in them probably diminished.
Model S is not needed to get to Mars. It is over and done with. The new one cannot be ordered in Europe and has a yoke that is a joke. Elon just wants to sell 3 and Y. And then fly to Mars.

Reactions: Wol747
Thank you & Merry Xmas! I got nothing to turn on (that I haven't already) for FSD by the looks of it...

IMG_3238.jpg

Then when I go to Nav it just works like Nav always did. No FSD!

I don't really see much need of the blind spot feature in the MS. The MS visualization shows you a 360 view of what is around the car and it is right in front of you on the instrument cluster. Unlike the MY or M3 you don't have to look away to check the visualization.
100% agree with this. The cars also turn red around you indicating collision risk as appropriate.

Reactions: Wadisr
Well... It does show there in that last photo "...you are enrolled in FSD beta..." so I am pretty sure that is a good indicator. But here is the version 10.showing on my screen:

View attachment 748294
I would email [email protected]
Chris++ That was it. A reboot & I was off to the races. I did a quick 10 mile loop with no intervention (on Christmas day of course, so limited traffic). Thank you!
great to hear, Merry Christmas!

Reactions: MrMichaelB
Well... It does show there in that last photo "...you are enrolled in FSD beta..." so I am pretty sure that is a good indicator. But the version 10.showing on my screen:
I know you've resolved the issue, but for the record, your screen was showing that you were enrolled in the FSD Beta queue, meaning you were still waiting to get the beta. That's what everyone sees after they opt in.