Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Holiday Update for pre 2021 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are now called legacy cars I have a 2017 model X ,I'm sorry legacy model X !!

That's not good .... 2017 model x no update but 2017 model 3 gets it ???

Not true 2020 S X no updates (live sentry mode)

Not true a 2020 S X should have live sentry mode ,,, but 2018 model 3 gets it !!!!

No updates for me as of yet model X 2017
Thanks for keeping us updated. 👍🏻

Honestly with the added UI complexity being identified and complained about mostly by 3/Y owners, I will not download this on to my Intel Atom S75D until I can see some video examples.

Some of the things like tire pressure, Supercharger location finder button and other useful information being buried in submenus kind of concerns me; not to mention there won’t be significant improvement in the feature set anyway for the legacy cars, outside of Sonic the Hedgehog, which I grew up playing. We already have Dark Mode, that is one of the things that differentiates the S/X UI from the 3/Y to begin with.

Long story short, I don’t want a substantially degraded user experience. I have seen a lot with this car and company in nearly five years.

I know you've resolved the issue, but for the record, your screen was showing that you were enrolled in the FSD Beta queue, meaning you were still waiting to get the beta. That's what everyone sees after they opt in.
That seems right.

Here is the full story:

I enrolled in the Beta program as soon as the car would allow (month ago). At 1st the car (2021 Plaid) did not show any sign of FSD or the Beta option from the day of pick up. But after a few weeks it showed up (I was told that I would not get an update for several weeks on a new car) & I locked in on something like the 24th of November (after picking up the car Nov 5).

The 1st day of Safety Score rating I was less in-tune & got a few dings on that score. That put me in the "red zone" for cornering. That red zone stayed red until I got down under 4% (!). That took nearly a month of driving at 99% score (with 20 straight 100% score days in a row). I had nearly given up (loads of Grandpa driving) when the Christmas update gave me the FSD 10.8 this morning. However the screen showed no sign of the next step after the update (as you point out). But then I re-booted and the whole format of that screen was changed, including a button to click that allowed me to get the FSD ~ or at least an option to use it. I did not get an email, or any instruction of how to use FSD. But figured it out.

I will say that paying $10k, then waiting for some team to approve the use of your chosen (expensive) option was sometimes hard to accept. In this Nation of instant gratification the way that this option was/is implemented is challenging. But we all seem to deal with it.

With all of that said I am a Plaid fan. Obviously I put my money where my mouth is (and bought one), but I looked at the many like models from Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Lucid and Rivian and am still pretty darn sure I picked the winner.

Here is the winner with my Son's new ride. It has little to no autonomy.

IMG_6135.jpg

Reactions: pilotSteve
No bueno. I love proactively being able to monitor it displayed as ‘car status’ on the IC. Trust me, on 265 21” wheels this is good information to have front and center. I have solved multiple flats by seeing the change immediately and checking it out. No tows or waking up on the rim to date.
Which Model S do you have? Pre-refresh S/X didn’t get the UI update (yet), and I was under the impression that the refresh S already had the new UI.

Not sure why people didn’t see this coming. How do you think AP1 owners have felt for the last 3 years?

Now that you mentioned it, I’ve been feeling pretty happy, not really missing out on phantom braking and rain sensors experience on AP2 and above.
Only wished Tesla turned back the EU imposed restrictions on AP that also plagues AP1.

Blind Spot Camera could even be displayed on instrument cluster!
If I were to guess, seeing how Tesla is a fan of iterations (Agile) I would not be surprised to see it coming in a later update.
As Atom is another platform on S/X, with a secondary display (IC screen) to manage, I would indeed bet that blind spot camera will be displayed on the IC, instead of the MCU, where it sure makes more sense.

Now that you mentioned it, I’ve been feeling pretty happy, not really missing out on phantom braking and rain sensors experience on AP2 and above.
Only wished Tesla turned back the EU imposed restrictions on AP that also plagues AP1.

If I were to guess, seeing how Tesla is a fan of iterations (Agile) I would not be surprised to see it coming in a later update.
As Atom is another platform on S/X, with a secondary display (IC screen) to manage, I would indeed bet that blind spot camera will be displayed on the IC, instead of the MCU, where it sure makes more sense.
The blog states we (legacy s/x) do not get the Blindspot feature... I hope you are right but it doesn't seem likely

There's no real excuse why not to keep updating "legacy" models. Every car that's at least under warranty should be developed further. I bought my Model X end of 2020. It has now 6000 miles on it. Legacy. Tesla is superb with their battery management software but the rest is just terrible. They can bring cool new gadgets to the cars (like Spotify, Sentry, Netflix etc) which is cool but can't manage stuff that other automakers have done decades ago. Like proper headlights, properly working windshield wipers, navigation, a car that is not defeated by a little frost, etc.

There's no real excuse why not to keep updating "legacy" models. Every car that's at least under warranty should be developed further. I bought my Model X end of 2020. It has now 6000 miles on it. Legacy. Tesla is superb with their battery management software but the rest is just terrible. They can bring cool new gadgets to the cars (like Spotify, Sentry, Netflix etc) which is cool but can't manage stuff that other automakers have done decades ago. Like proper headlights, properly working windshield wipers, navigation, a car that is not defeated by a little frost, etc.
From a business standpoint, it makes sense to keep certain options only for the refreshed models so people would go trade their “legacy” models in. Tesla would make more of a profit, all about profit margins.

As they obviously are. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you get every new feature, because that’s not how the real world works.
Ok but at least what they promise and what you pay for like fsd. In Europe fsd only beeps when traffic
Light turns green. That’s it. Costly option for a traffic
Light beep.
My 3rd model s is a2021 because plaid is only available end of 2024 over here.

So yes I would expect at least v11 and a basic form of fsd. Don’t care about boombox games farthing etc.

Ok but at least what they promise and what you pay for like fsd. In Europe fsd only beeps when traffic
Light turns green. That’s it. Costly option for a traffic
Light beep.
My 3rd model s is a2021 because plaid is only available end of 2024 over here.

So yes I would expect at least v11 and a basic form of fsd. Don’t care about boombox games farthing etc.
FSD is a completely different topic IMO, and yes, I think the way it has been marketed and sold over the last 5 years is essentially fraud. But it’s not really the same thing.

FSD is a completely different topic IMO, and yes, I think the way it has been marketed and sold over the last 5 years is essentially fraud. But it’s not really the same thing.
Ok but still you would expect they support software updates to the fullest at least till they can deliver the new model. Even in the us plaid is rare. So for me it is way to early to classify the ms as legacy. Mine is 4 months old and plaid is years away. A to early retirement for me.

Ok but still you would expect they support software updates to the fullest at least till they can deliver the new model. Even in the us plaid is rare. So for me it is way to early to classify the ms as legacy. Mine is 4 months old and plaid is years away. A to early retirement for me.
People seem to be super caught up on this “legacy” terminology and that’s fine I guess. My point is it doesn’t matter what you call it. There is a completely new S/X. It had been long rumored and was no big secret that it was coming. You bought an outgoing, end-of-life model at a substantial bargain compared to the new cars.

New hardware brings about support for new features. The old car can’t do everything the new one can. This is just the way of the world.