TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why no multi-coat black?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Rodolfo Paiz, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Hi!

I love black, and I would assume that the multi-coat paint will look better than the "regular old paint" in any color. I would also guess that black is a frequently-chosen color.

Does anyone have any idea why black is not offered in multi-coat? Is there no benefit, contrary to my speculation? Or do we assume that it's too early in the production process and they just haven't gotten to it, like the red which was just recently added?

2. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

I thought exactly the same thing. Best response was they will add it to the feedback.
    I always get black but not super impressed as I would if it had more gloss or sheen to it like the new multi coat red.
    May try the red but I am torn between the two of just blending in or sticking out.

3. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Sorry ... but what does multi coat even mean?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Multi-coat means that there is a base layer of pigment, one or more intermediate layers of metallic and/or slightly different translucent pigment, and a clear coat. Non-multi coat doesn't have the middle layer(s). It gives more depth to the paint job.