Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Silver paint option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)Thanks for the reply and information. I'm curious what the special premium price would be?

My understanding is that the "special premium price" to get those colors was an offer that lasted for a week or two after the announcement. Now if you want silver paint on a new Tesla, your only option is to have a local body shop re-paint the car. Well, maybe you could get a showroom or test-drive car in silver. From a legal perspective, it would still be considered new. (I was offered such a car about a month ago, but passed.)

Reactions: cwerdna
IIRC, silver was approximately half as popular as the next-least popular color on Model 3's (black, I think, although that's probably gone way up with the paint price increases and cheaper car options introduced since then.)

Too bad; silver was my second choice and now I wish I'd gone with it - the blue just gets to looking too dirty, too easily (my previous car was almost the exact same shade of blue, and didn't seem that bad - maybe I just didn't notice as much because it wasn't a Tesla. :oops:)

I do hope silver makes a comeback eventually; if we do decide to get a Model Y I would really like it to be silver.

it is kind of ironic as the Model 3 unveiling had in retrospect a silver performance model 3 with white dash and interior which looks almost identical to the release version minus the white center console, and many of the initial pre-release press photos showed a similar silver performance 3.

A previously posted table from the automobile industry showed car color preferences for each year which showed silver as being most popular early 2000s, with white currently being the most popular. To me, I think the silver shows the lines of the Model 3 extremely well. Silver was the color I really liked before we took delivery of our car. My wife took delivery of P3D in MSM over the summer, despite any coaxing for color preference I could do. We liked the 3 so much that when a Silver P3D arrived unspoken for at our local showroom in September I jumped on it. It is exactly the car I would have ordered.

Here is one of the pre-release photos Tesla put out well before public release.

Model 3 Grande.jpg

Reactions: RedWhite19
was set to buy a midnight silver P3D, but after seeing a silver on white P3D last week, I absolutely hate the midnight silver now. my current car is charcoal, I didn't know they made silver 3's, and miss owning a silver car. Does anyone think they will bring it back? so pissed I didn't buy one last year, silver and the full tax credit are eating me alive!

it is kind of ironic as the Model 3 unveiling had in retrospect a silver performance model 3 with white dash and interior which looks almost identical to the release version minus the white center console, and many of the initial pre-release press photos showed a similar silver performance 3.

A previously posted table from the automobile industry showed car color preferences for each year which showed silver as being most popular early 2000s, with white currently being the most popular. To me, I think the silver shows the lines of the Model 3 extremely well. Silver was the color I really liked before we took delivery of our car. My wife took delivery of P3D in MSM over the summer, despite any coaxing for color preference I could do. We liked the 3 so much that when a Silver P3D arrived unspoken for at our local showroom in September I jumped on it. It is exactly the car I would have ordered.

Here is one of the pre-release photos Tesla put out well before public release.

View attachment 397324

I wanted silver up until I saw one in person. IMHO, the press photos show a different silver... some sort of multi-coat variant. The way the light reflects off of the different panels (dark areas, light areas) make it look so good. Definitely not the one that went into production, which is a bit more one-tone. Either that or the press photos are heavily photoshopped, which is not out of the question!

Kim from LikeTesla put matte PPF on her silver, which makes is look closer to the press photos, but not quite. At that point, might as well just get solid black and do a vinyl wrap in the perfect multi-coat effect silver.

Reactions: BlindPass
was set to buy a midnight silver P3D, but after seeing a silver on white P3D last week, I absolutely hate the midnight silver now. my current car is charcoal, I didn't know they made silver 3's, and miss owning a silver car. Does anyone think they will bring it back? so pissed I didn't buy one last year, silver and the full tax credit are eating me alive!

The midnight silver is really an acquired taste. It’s like a blue silver which looks great (deep grey) in the showroom and awful on the streets (blue). Wife was like NO.

Reactions: remlemasi