TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why no Speed Assist in TACC alone

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BerTX, Dec 28, 2016.

1. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

This may have been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find it.

Driving under Auto-steer on non-divided highways, the car sees a drop in speed limit and changes the TACC setting to the new speed limit. When the car passes back into a higher speed area, the TACC setting is changed back up to the higher speed limit (up to what the prior setting was, but not higher).

To me, this is the way TACC should work even without Auto-steer. Why is it that this functionality is available when the car is driving, but not when I am driving? Do they think a driver will panic when the car starts changing speed on its own? TACC does that in traffic, anyway. The car won't suddenly accelerate and hit a car in front -- TACC will prevent that no matter the speed setting. Dropping the speed suddenly could cause the car behind you to hit you? That can happen under Auto-steer, so what's the difference? The camera might miss a speed limit sign? Just as much so under Auto-steer.

TACC automatically adjusting to speed limits is something I've always wanted, but thought there was some safety reason or sensor/processing reason why it wasn't implemented. But it's implemented under Auto-steer. Anybody have a theory as to why?