Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Tesla in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sk8orDie

Jan 13, 2007
Hey Guys,

I don't know, if you heard about it. The Tesla won't be sold in Europe. For me, living in Germany, it's very disapointing.

The gasprices in Germany are about 6-7 $ / Ga . 1 kWh electricity costs about 25 cent. So I think there is a real need for the car in Europe and I think it would be competitive (reffering to Cost/km).

By the way, I coundn't affort one, because I am still a student. But I know at least 5 people would would go crazy to drive one of the hellfire-EV's and even could affort them. There are also many public chargingstations.

So, why no Tesla in Europe? I think there is market of at least 1000 Teslas a year. Maybe more. Ok they had to open a servicingcenter or something like that, but I think that's no a too big barrier.

Greets from Germany

Daniel

Driving a Audi A2 with a 65mpg consumption, dreaming of a Tesla. ;-)

I think I read it in an interview with Martin. ?!?!

It's too bad to be true, I think. Maybe they'll decide ohterwise, when there is enough demand.

In between I will try to convert a car by myself. (No Joke) I study mechanical engineering and I think it could be done with a students budget and possibilities. (and the 3F) I'll keep you updated. ;-)

Something else:" Do you know, if there will be a roadshow or something like that for the tesla. Hopefully I will take my vacation in SF this year, so maybe it's possible to see one Tesla "en nature"?! 8) Does anybody know where it will be possible to see the Tesla?

Thanx a lot

What about Venturi?

It's a simple question of production capacity. For the first several years Tesla and Lotus won't be able to produce enough cars to meet the demand in the USA, so they would have nothing to gain by selling them in Europe also. It would add a lot to their costs, though.

A better question might be, where are the European companies? Venturi already produced a car with specs similar to the Tesla Roadster, called the Fetish. But they only made 25 cars, and sold them for $500,000+ each. Why can't they mass-produce it?

If electric cars are successful, I am sure that European companies will take notice and get into the market. The sooner the better.

Well relying on traditional car companies to make electric cars.....it will take at least 10 years I think. Their industry is about selling parts to the cars they make. If they do make an electric it will probably be a hybrid like GM, so they can still have you buy all the replacement parts.

The dream scenario would be if a bunch of european entrepreneurs get together and invest to build a Tesla factory in Europe. I'm really hoping this will happen in the next 2 years.