TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why no Tesla @ NY Auto Show? Even Karma showed up.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TheRealM3, Apr 9, 2018.

1. TheRealM3

TheRealM3 Member

I enjoy going to the annual NY auto show and this year featured a lot of EV/plug in hybrid vehicles, including Karma with its gimmicky solar roof. I knew Tesla would be a no show but why? Even their cars sell by itself, it would be nice to show up and show off the Model 3 or the Roadster!

2. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

With 500K reservations, the last thing Elon needs right now is more orders! Trying to get the model 3 ramp to where it should be is more important than spending the effort to get any Tesla to a car show.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Most auto shows are run by the local dealer association.

• Informative x 1
  4. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Active Member

It's a nearly complete waste of a LOT of money to have space at a car show. And the other posters are correct--DEMAND is not a problem with Tesla and those funds ($200k to $300k?) could be much better used for another Supercharger installation . . . .

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Car shows, like advertisements, Tesla does not need.

• Love x 1
  6. dwharrison

dwharrison Member

And yet, Tesla was at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto in February. And yes, that's mostly run by the local dealers. Tesla had a small booth in the "interesting products" area, not on the main show floor - but they were there with an S, X, and a 3.

• Love x 1
  7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

It's a money sink with very little ROI for Tesla right now.

8. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Strange they didn't have it in NY. They had an exhibit in L.A. I went to in December and I believe they were in a show in Canada last month as well.

Even with 500k reservations, I'm sure Elon wouldn't mind being at 600k,700k, 800k... They also wouldn't mind selling more S's and X's. Tesla also was showcasing their solar roofs and Powerwall at the show.

Best guess is that the NY show rental fee for Tesla is considerably more than other shows.

9. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Fisker spent $1M on their medium size display on the main floor back in 2011. I'm guessing Karma spent probably $300-500K or so for their small space on the main floor this year. As an aside, there were tons of people at Karma's booth this year.

10. Brando

Brando Active Member

• Like x 1
  11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

Because Canada - a nation of really nice peeps.