Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not 3 acceleration options after boost purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are countless threads about the boost upgrade, but I just want to focus specifically on why everyone thinks they haven't given us 3 acceleration options (chill, standard, sport)??

I've posted my story in other threads, but the TL;DR version is I basically bought the boost way too soon after picking up the car, and didn't get to really feel out the car without the boost... so I then opted for a refund and immediately noticed the difference. I tried to last a week sans boost, but I only made it a few days before repurchasing last night.

Now the whole point of the story - after purchasing the boost, WHY don't they give us all 3 acceleration options, which would make everyone who bought the boost appreciate the difference by being able to toggle back and forth???

That would completely eliminate the need for anyone to request a refund. I assume it would be in Tesla's best interests to cut down on ppl getting the refund - being able to easily quantify the difference between standard and sport, IMO, would lead to far fewer refund requests.

It just doesn't make any sense to me...we paid the $2k, so I think we deserve all 3 options. If enough ppl complain, maybe they will change it in a future software update?

Having a setting that is marginally different is bad idea and would have the opposite effect. We humans are RELLY bad at making accurate measurements by our senses. This is why we invented a ruler. We could “feel” like the slower acceleration was actually quicker than the faster acceleration in back to back runs. This would cause more people to return it for a refund. So NOT offering a direct comparison that you can't accurately "feel" gives a better placebo “feel” effect.

If you want to know then get a Dragy and you can measure the difference. That is what I did.

Also offering a setting that is only about 12% slower just seems obtuse and would never be used day to day driving.

Last edited:
I assume they also want to make the interface as simple as possible. You don’t want to be in the menu and accidentally selecting standard when you wanted sport.

The only reason someone would want standard is administratively to “test” what it was like.

so this might be a good idea to be able to reset the whole boost sans an actual refund In a deeper Settings menu but I wouldn’t want it In the actual mode selection.

Because their top-tier vehicles get 3 acceleration modes.

they are not bringing this to the base models of the fleet.

Yeah but that's kind of silly, it's not like it will cannibalize sales of the S if they add a simple extra option to the acceleration menu. o_O not only that, I doubt there would be model S owners feeling cheated either.

I can understand that there's a pretty marginal difference between standard and sport, but I just thought it would be cool to have a chill mode, oh damn mode and omfg mode lol

Now the whole point of the story - after purchasing the boost, WHY don't they give us all 3 acceleration options, which would make everyone who bought the boost appreciate the difference by being able to toggle back and forth???
Have you heard the old story of the salesperson who says "if you want to know the price, this item is not for you" ?

Similarly, if you cannot appreciate the upgrade on its own merits, you are the wrong customer